Help! We are running out of bug reports!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Help! We are running out of bug reports!

Post by valneq »

I am afraid we will be running out of bug reports really soon!

We are down to just 10. Can you imagine? We have 200 issues resolved for the next release. If we seriously run out of bug reports, the devs might end up fixing the 500 minor issues that have accumulated over the years.

We need to act soon! Report more bugs! Otherwise the devs will run out of work! If they get seriously desperate they might implement new features. And who would want that!?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Help! We are running out of bug reports!

Post by Jap2.0 »

Or they might actually release 1.1 ;)

I've noticed that in the last major release or two that's been a theme in the couple weeks before a release - although keep in mind that at least some of the "assigned" ones have to be, you know, finished.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

It is getting serious. Only 4 bug reports assigned. Only 1 new open bug report. More than 220 resolved for the next release.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

there are lots of "wont fix" and "minor issues" they can work on.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:32 am
I have a feeling they might not fix the "won't fix" ones.

(Then again, history has shown that that can change if you complain enough. Sometimes.)

I have a feeling that we'll be back down to 0 new ones open on Monday.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

I have a spare bug report!

Only ever mentioned it as unexpected behavior on the modding firum, but never reported it as a bug. I am on my phone right now. So if anyone is able to step in and to create a bug report out of this:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=84632

we may be able to postpone having no big reports a bit. 😉

AustraliumEngineer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AustraliumEngineer »

No bugs? There are a million biters on my screen!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

AustraliumEngineer wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:05 am
No bugs? There are a million biters on my screen!
If you don't report them, they're just bugs, not bug reports :mrgreen:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Hey, they plan a new method for money collection. They sell a game without bugs and bugs must be bought separately. Maybe there will be popping microtransaction window with option "OS crashing 10 €, game crashing (with save file corruption) 5 €, game crashing (without save file corruption) 2 €, severe annoyance 1 €, light annoyance (pack of three) 1 €".

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
This.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

foamy wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:23 pm
AmericanPatriot wrote:
This.
I totally agree. If only the OP had mentioned "minor issues" already, we would not need to talk about it now.
Also, "won't fix" means they will not fix it, even if they had the time to do so.

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

valneq wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:49 pm
foamy wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:23 pm
AmericanPatriot wrote:
This.
I totally agree. If only the OP had mentioned "minor issues" already, we would not need to talk about it now.
Also, "won't fix" means they will not fix it, even if they had the time to do so.
Won't Fix: "Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment." at this moment is in reference to the present time, now being the time the report was shuffled into won't fix. That time does not account for later.

The wording between the two is a bit blurred. Minor Issues is an acknowledgment an issue exist but isn't worth the time presently, where Won't Fix is an issue they don't even care to acknowledge period but may come up at a later date. (just how I read it based on the desc)

That being said it does give a gap for reports between 1/0 Magic, Minor Issues, Desyncs With Mods, and Won't Fix. There are reports between those 4 categories that are Outdated now, which does not mean it is not producible but the function to produce it no longer exist in the base engine of the game the way it did then, or the version is deprecated to the point the issue is obsolete, etc.

However these are things the developer will worry about. they've done an amazing job at it over the years, better then any other company I've seen. A call for bug reports isn't really necessary, they're aware of a lot things not posted by now. And the community is pretty consistent with reporting issues that come up.

As a community member there's lots of other things you can look at such as the Wiki and Ideas and Suggestions.

For the Wiki section there's only 7 pages there, but it would be nice to have some more organization, a couple new subforums for resolved issues and outdated/not implemented changes. And also just gandering the wiki itself to see how information holds up when you apply it in game.

Moving to Ideas and Suggestions there has been a few post now about organizing that monster. 339 pages and 3 subforums to help organize all that data. The mods try their best but it's a lot of data to process, they move things, or merge topics, etc. But if you were so inclined to you could take the time search different old topics in there find connected reports from the subforums or main page and connect the dots and just help clean up.

Same goes with Modding Interface Request at 36 pages. There's quite a few areas on the site bloated from 5 years of people posting that are referentially used in the active development of the game.

Iunno, the world is your oyster. And there's plenty you can delve into if you are really interested in helping the factorio community. :)

Also a quick shoutout to Boskid because they were actually hired for reporting bug reports, and their intimate knowledge of the trains and other mechanics in-game.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

I love how they had zero open bug reports before 1.1 and the forum just exploded with bug reports after the release :lol: Getting to zero bugs is just unbelievable anyway. (and from my experience so far it is not like 1.1 is very unstable or anything)

As always the devs make an incredible effort to fix every bug and the community tries very hard to keep them busy. Best devs ever!
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

The release of 1.1.0 indeed caused a flood of bug reports that render this thread useless … for a while ;)

Return to “General discussion”