Color the last train wagon indicator when placing signals or stations

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

stergil
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Color the last train wagon indicator when placing signals or stations

Post by stergil »

TL;DR
Color the last guide box showing train length when placing signals or stations.
2020-11-05 13_39_57-Factorio 1.0.0.png
2020-11-05 13_39_57-Factorio 1.0.0.png (128.71 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
What ?
You can define "Train visualization length" which is helpful. However, the last marker should stand out from the rest to allow an at-a-glance visualization if the full length has been met.
Why ?
If you're trying to space signals for a full train length, the visualization length is helpful in that it allows you to count the box outlines to see if the full train would fit, but if the last car was a different color or stood out in some way then we'd know instantly that the full train would fit. I would find this to be a significant QOL improvement.

A quick glance at the one below shows no red box, so you instantly know the whole train length won't fit without having to count the boxes.
2020-11-05 13_48_45-Factorio 1.0.0.png
2020-11-05 13_48_45-Factorio 1.0.0.png (255.67 KiB) Viewed 2265 times

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Simple change to make significant improvement to signal/station placement

Post by MassiveDynamic »

+1, would you consider to add the guide boxes whenever you hold a signal? - not just when placing stations.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Color the last train wagon indicator when placing signals or stations

Post by SoShootMe »

I'd prefer numbers in the boxes, though it might be tricky at merges.

Not quite as obvious as highlighting the last wagon, but works if you have trains of varying lengths, without needing to faff around changing the length setting.

tamanous
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tamanous »

SoShootMe wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:55 pm
I'd prefer numbers in the boxes, though it might be tricky at merges.

Not quite as obvious as highlighting the last wagon, but works if you have trains of varying lengths, without needing to faff around changing the length setting.
You're so right!

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

+1

How about printing the number only for the last wagon?

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

Keep in mind those boxes are drawn on every possible path even when there are junctions within: they will be drawn on multiple paths.

In general there are 2 types of ideas for this: easy ones that only depend on current position (which is known, including number from beginning of the train) and hard ones that depend on some assumptions about next boxes (like if there is enough distance for the next box in current branch to even show up).

- last box with different color - easy (only depends on current number)
- numbers in boxes - with multiple pahts could become a mess, but in general it is easy
- colored boxes - easy (only depends on current number)
- only printing number for the last wagon - hard (assumes there will be no more boxes on current branch which requires backtracking)
- there is also one internal idea for this, to render all the boxes with green if a train with configured length fits, but it also is from the "hard" category and could become mess due to multiple paths.

That being said, it is low priority and i am not going to implement it any time soon.

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sad_Brother »

boskid wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:51 pm
- numbers in boxes - with multiple pahts could become a mess, but in general it is easy
Can suggest combined:
- numbers to first branch, then only last box colored.
Reason:numbers mostly needed for straight stations, full length to see where can full train fit.

Thanks, boskid!

stergil
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by stergil »

boskid wrote:
Keep in mind those boxes are drawn on every possible path even when there are junctions within: they will be drawn on multiple paths.

In general there are 2 types of ideas for this: easy ones that only depend on current position (which is known, including number from beginning of the train) and hard ones that depend on some assumptions about next boxes (like if there is enough distance for the next box in current branch to even show up).

- only printing number for the last wagon - hard (assumes there will be no more boxes on current branch which requires backtracking)
- there is also one internal idea for this, to render all the boxes with green if a train with configured length fits, but it also is from the "hard" category and could become mess due to multiple paths.

That being said, it is low priority and i am not going to implement it any time soon.
I appreciate the response and am glad to see you guys have been noodling through this internally already. I realize this isn't anything game-breaking that should be pushed up the priority list but perhaps you can implement one of the mentioned easy methods as low-hanging fruit? Then after more consideration and time you can revamp it to something more robust.

I don't know about others, but I would benefit immediately from a simple color/number/whatever even if it wasn't the "perfect" solution. Constantly counting those boxes I wind up seeing double and need to re-count.. but then again I'm probably playing too much :)

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

stergil wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:57 pm
boskid wrote:

I appreciate the response and am glad to see you guys have been noodling through this internally already. I realize this isn't anything game-breaking that should be pushed up the priority list but perhaps you can implement one of the mentioned easy methods as low-hanging fruit? Then after more consideration and time you can revamp it to something more robust.

I don't know about others, but I would benefit immediately from a simple color/number/whatever even if it wasn't the "perfect" solution. Constantly counting those boxes I wind up seeing double and need to re-count.. but then again I'm probably playing too much :)
I couldn't have put this better (especially appreciating the response); the "easy" ones do seem like relatively low-hanging fruit. In fact, both of the "hard" ones listed seem less preferable options to me: "number the last wagon" seems to buy nothing over "number each wagon" - they both have the same potential problem with multiple paths, just less or more likely to happen respectively; and "green if it fits" doesn't work for variable train lengths.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Another thought I just had:
Color in the first wagon (locomotive), the last wagon, and (if the chain is long) one in the middle. This should only depend on current count, and should help the eye enough to make out if a train of desired length will fit. Even if there are several train lengths on the same network.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”