Beautiful Sushi Belts

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
benoitranque
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Beautiful Sushi Belts

Post by benoitranque »

So... I may have come up with two more designs. I am really happy with how compact they are
4 Items Sushi Belt

6 Items Sushi Belt

benoitranque
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by benoitranque »

but what if more compact?

benoitranque
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by benoitranque »

Even more!

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

benoitranque wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:10 pm
Even more!

Does this work with multiple items of the same type as inputs? I can’t see why it wouldn’t, but am having trouble visualizing what would happen.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

benoitranque
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by benoitranque »

if you feed more than one full belt of any item, it will back up and get stuck.

This is because on the way back, that item is filtered and must pass through the yellow splitter. So you can use full belts instead of half belts, but that's a limitation.

But! if you want 1/3 of one item, 2/3 of another, you can just combine red and yellow splitters on a blue belt.

Best explained with images:

Feeding a full belt instead of only one side works just fine

Feeding more than a full belt does not

But you can use red splitters for interesting ratios on a blue belt:

Edit: having multiple input points works. So you could have a long sushi belt you refill at certain points.

S_K_Tiger
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by S_K_Tiger »

Low splitter sushi
I made a science sushi setup based on a older blueprint I had lying around. I was planning to add credit to the author of the original blueprint but couldn't find them. Can you help me find where I could have taken the original from?

My adaptation:
Original sushi:
OriginalSushiInTestWorld.png
OriginalSushiInTestWorld.png (315.81 KiB) Viewed 8199 times

Trebor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Trebor »

This is what I've been using for my science sushi belt. Can't remember where I saw it.
Sushi.480p.gif
Sushi.480p.gif (10.85 MiB) Viewed 8001 times
Sushi2.480p.gif
Sushi2.480p.gif (11.67 MiB) Viewed 8001 times

(These GIFs don't look as good as the real thing.)

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

I found a reddit post for calculating the splitter config for fractions.... YAY!

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... splitters/

Using that, i made this.
sushi science.gif
sushi science.gif (44.34 MiB) Viewed 7970 times
2021-05-17 23_40_24-Factorio 1.1.33.png
2021-05-17 23_40_24-Factorio 1.1.33.png (364.28 KiB) Viewed 7969 times

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Trebor wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:00 pm
This is what I've been using for my science sushi belt.
I incorporated that idea of input rate control into my circuit based mixer. It works for any number of different "bottles" by adjusting the number of "blocks" in the decider combinator. It also consumes both input lanes of each pack equally.

screenshot_005h_27m_58s.png
screenshot_005h_27m_58s.png (1.6 MiB) Viewed 7820 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

teenkertoy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by teenkertoy »

Oops, I forgot this was the no-combinator forum.

I moved my creation over here: Ugly Sushi Belts
Last edited by teenkertoy on Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

teenkertoy wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:07 am
Here is another attempt by using a fish to count the contents of the entire belt.
I like the system you explained.

I'm not sure i'll be able to modify it to my need just now, i will need to practice a bit, but the idea of using a sensor for fish and count the item between 2 fish passage to compute the belt content from what i understand is a more elegant way than what i did before which was just wiring many belts like 10% or 5% of the loop to compute the rest of the item.
(and is also the 1rst time i understand it).

I think your method could have its own post you already made nice and clear images for it! I'm saying this because (imo) it's not really a "beautiful" sushi belts like the others. The items on the running belts are not well-ordered like on the other method using splitters contraption for insertion. Instead it look like a trash-sorting conveyer belt. ( i mean no offense the things look all messed up but it's nicely functionning and elegant logic ! :) ).

It is also a bit different than the other method because you could connect consumer and producer of material while the others are mainly showing logistic solution to balance belts for consumers. ( using inserter for insertion vs using belts )

I am playing with a design for a mall that is using 1 belts for raw material and 1 belt for intermediate product. The 1rst one being sideloaded with other raw material belts depending on the read quantity on the 10% wired belt, the 2nd one being loaded by inserter outputing from assembly machine that use either the 1rst or the 2nd as input material.

This configuration makes the sensor fish method desirable, i can't use the splitter method for my intermediate product belt since it's loaded by inserters. I would need to set filters manually and use several fish from what i understand this i think is ok.

I wish to use it to control the items on the 2 loops though, which means i will need to modify it so that instead of the memory of inserter it activate belts for input of material. How would you do it ?

From what i see i just need to have sideloading belts with the last one connected to circuit network and activate if the material it holds is active, like it would have been for the filter of an inserter. No risk that it clogs due to 4+ item, this mean i could use several fish placed at regular interval right ? as long as they keep the same spacing ?

teenkertoy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by teenkertoy »

mmmPI wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:45 pm
I think your method could have its own post you already made nice and clear images for it! I'm saying this because (imo) it's not really a "beautiful" sushi belts like the others. The items on the running belts are not well-ordered like on the other method using splitters contraption for insertion. Instead it look like a trash-sorting conveyer belt. ( i mean no offense the things look all messed up but it's nicely functionning and elegant logic ! :) ).
Oops, I forgot this was the no-combinator forum.

I moved my creation over here: Ugly Sushi Belts

Feudguerilla
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Feudguerilla »

Hey, good people.

I was really fascinated by your Sushi Belt setups. They are work of arts. But I cant help to think we are overthinking it a little bit. So I thought I show you what I came up with. Now this is true to the topic of this thread, namely "Circuit-free solutions ... optimal item-throughput".

This setup is highly stable in supplying in sciences pack to each individual sciences dome. If a track lacks a color you can easily see it and quickly resolve it. This structure is simplified and very easy to build. Here she is and let me know what you think:
Attachments
Most stable and efficient science pack setup. Supports 8 sciences pack types.jpg
Most stable and efficient science pack setup. Supports 8 sciences pack types.jpg (246.49 KiB) Viewed 6426 times
Last edited by Feudguerilla on Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

hey ! I think there are a few things in your design that doesn't makes it qualify as a sushi belt.

You are using different belts for different science pack ! A sushi belt, to qualify should carry all sorts of science pack on one single belt. Not that the definition is strictly enforced or whatever, but the whole thread is about mixing material on a single belt, and the methods to keep the mix of material under control.

One could add that sushi belts, to be "beautiful" must have the material on the belt with a precise ratio and ordering reapeating itself over and over. That's nitpicking but otherwise you could just have a lone copper in your iron belt and call it a sushi belt. Mixing material is not enough, not even mixing material in a controlled way if it look like a mess !

And finally you are using mods ! It's not forbidden by any means, but you are using one to extend the range of the inserters , which defeat the principle of the sushi belt somewhat. The sushi belt with several material on it, allows for 1 inserter to pick up all required material for its assembly/lab. That's a method to deal with the fact that inserter have limited range.

It does simplify the setup for sure but the others are not overthought because it didn't seem possible to make it easier but rather purposedly over-engineered to achieve the special cool-looking multi-color-yet-still-not-messy effect that makes them qualify as work of art :).

You got an attempt here where you don't even need the mod extending the inserter range, you could use some underground belts for the closest 2 belts and use the space reclaimed to snake the 3rd too-far-way belt closer to lab at certain point to allow an inserter to grab from it !

Or you could also use half a belt for each science pack, this way with 3 belts you can supply all 6 science pack using only 1 side of the lab .

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:37 pm
And finally you are using mods ! It's not forbidden by any means, but you are using one to extend the range of the inserters
They’re also using one that provides a 1x1 lane balancer.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

updated my science sushi, it now works with all belt speeds/undies.
Attachments
2022-01-24 20_40_27-Factorio 1.1.53.png
2022-01-24 20_40_27-Factorio 1.1.53.png (721.54 KiB) Viewed 6362 times

HadesSupreme
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HadesSupreme »

S_K_Tiger wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:36 am
Low splitter sushi
I made a science sushi setup based on a older blueprint I had lying around. I was planning to add credit to the author of the original blueprint but couldn't find them. Can you help me find where I could have taken the original from?

My adaptation:
Original sushi: OriginalSushiInTestWorld.png
A bit late, but I think you found it from me, posted here viewtopic.php?f=202&t=80527&p=475843#p475843awa

Nice to see that you liked my ideas!

xaetral
Inserter
Inserter

Post by xaetral »

Here's my latest build, a 5400 SPM sushi belt beaconed labs:

deep_remi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by deep_remi »

My minimalist 8-way red sushi.

numzero
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by numzero »

A 8-way design. Operates properly even if some input is insufficient or missing.

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”