Friday Facts #362 - Menu simulation, Spidertron, Ghost building, Confirm button

Regular reports on Factorio development.
LiquidInsight
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #362 - Menu simulation, Spidertron, Ghost building, Confirm button

Post by LiquidInsight »

With the updated ghost building improvements, will we get a way to place ghost modules into buildings? As it is, the workflow is to build the building you want near you on the ground, add modules to it, then copy and paste that into position. It would be very nice if module ghosts could be placed directly into buildings.

kizrak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #362 - Menu simulation, Spidertron, Ghost building, Confirm button

Post by kizrak »

B5Gggj6A3T.jpg
B5Gggj6A3T.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 7718 times
Thanks! 🧡

AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by AntiElitz »

I like that the Start screen is finally getting some animation!
However it looks weird like it is currently now since you cannot really tell it apart from ingame intuitively. I know there is the logo and such, but still just deosn't feel like its a start screen.
Did you consider adding the "glass" effect from the research screen to it in the main menu?
This may make it a bit less noisy and tell it apart from ingame more naturally.

Quick mock up:
https://i.imgur.com/avawy8H.png
Last edited by AntiElitz on Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

AntiElitz wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:25 pm
I like that the Start screen is finally getting some animation!
However it looks weird like it is currently now since you cannot really tell it apart from ingame intuitively. I know there is the logo and such, but still just deosn't feel like its a start screen.
Did you consider adding the "glass" effect from the research screen to it in the main menu?
This may make it a bit less noisy and tell it apart from ingame more naturally.

Quick mock up:
https://imgur.com/avawy8H
+1

This looks really good :-)

KoblerMan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KoblerMan »

Koub wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:29 am
ThunderFD wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:27 am
Klonan wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:17 am
Draxinusom wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:15 am
AdamK wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:49 am
Whta is 1.1 ETA?
It's either before or after Cyberpunk 2077 8-)
Before :)
So early next year? ;DD
Before 2028 :mrgreen:
No, I think he means before 2077, which is when Cyberpunk takes place. :kappa:
ImageImage
System Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (@~3.8 gHz)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080
RAM: 32GB DDR4 (2400)
DRIVES: 2x 1TB NVMe SSD, 1x 6TB HDD

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Yay! more keyboard and less clicking!
Things just get better and better.

Also, finally the power pole connections: now I don't have to have all my powerpoles in a perfect grid.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Unknow0059
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Unknow0059 »

Not a fan of the new menu background.
I've always wanted a new menu background, but not like this. Maybe it looks better animated instead of as still.
I've liked the Wube logo ever since I've seen it, but the letters are so close together it's hard to read it as Wube and not... WWbe or something.
The drag, wire connections and confirm were much needed QoL features.

Cgeta
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cgeta »

Ooh, I've always loved when the main menu's of games had something going on in the background.
Would be kinda cute if it progressed through the different stages of the game based on your last save file, with the first version being just some grass and a forest

aebonyne
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by aebonyne »

Thanks, those QoL improvements look great!

The one QoL thing that's been bothering me is the organization of the logistics request screen. I try to keep my logistic requests organized, but they don't tend to stay very organized as the game goes on and my requests change. The search option on that screen helps a lot, but it really feels like it would make more sense if the requests were just organized the same way as the crafting screen, possibly even integrated with the crafting screen, although I think the subtle distinction between "recipes" and "items" makes that not actually make sense.

A less drastic change to help would be a button that auto-resorts the requests the same way the character inventory is sorted and/or the ability to drag/drop the requests to manually reorganize them.

ElderAxe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ElderAxe »

All those QoL features are great. Thank you for your great work.

I hope that these new ghost replacing works for blueprints as well. At least in the force mode.

Like the previous messages said we have some great QoL mods around which I believe should be included in vanilla.

I see that Even Distribution is not mentioned. I find it very handy especially at the beginning of a new base.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

I get the idea that Factorio 1.1 will basically be a different game. Considering how much polish is going into it o_O

CopperBoltwire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CopperBoltwire »

Simply, Wube, Thanks for a great game and your continued hard work.

Actually, could you maybe do something greater with the "ending" of the game... Instead of just congrats and statistics, do something a bit more interesting?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Thanks for the facts. Also thanks for...allowing to disable the main menu simulation. I keep factorio open in background almost constantly and i'd hate to waste electricity on something i don't even look at.
kovarex wrote: The general rule is, that when users use your UI in a wrong way again and again and again, you can either really try to teach them to use it "properly", or you can just make this usage correct. Internally, the key "E" and the key "Escape" were doing the same thing, but in our minds, not really.

Typically the user sets up something in the game window and when they are done, they close it with E.
I always close my inventory with ESC,... guess i'll have to learn to do it "properly" :twisted: .
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Pinga
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pinga »

Can I finally blueprint this in 1.1?
factorio_2020-10-30_22-25-17.png
factorio_2020-10-30_22-25-17.png (65.76 KiB) Viewed 7391 times

thuro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by thuro »

kizrak wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:20 pm
B5Gggj6A3T.jpg

Thanks! 🧡
Agree! It's quite frustrating that the upgrade planner does an in place swap with a single construction bot but after marking for decon and placing a new ghost it sends two bots (one to decon and one to place) which could take ages in a bot or item starved network.

Rebmes
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rebmes »

Wow, this is amazing, thank you guys so much ^^

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

Cgeta wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:09 pm
Would be kinda cute if it progressed through the different stages of the game based on your last save file, with the first version being just some grass and a forest
That's certainly a neat feature of the Half Life and Portal games. It would be fitting for Factorio if there were a campaign focus, but given that the Free Play scenario is so sandbox-oriented, detecting and following progress in-game might feel more restrictive.

Unlike in those games, there's nothing story-driven to spoil with endgame technologies on display. Instead, they serve (as mentioned in the FFF) to demonstrate and inspire the player with technology available across all stages of the game.

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

Once we have this logic in place, making blueprints preserve the wire connections could be implemented almost for free, so the game now supports it.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cellfire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cellfire »

I just want a belt full of baby spiders now

Return to “News”