Power Poles

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
GarryLeon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Power Poles

Post by GarryLeon »

Hi,

New power poles suck. Plain and simple. Older ones where better, maybe they where less detailed but they where alright. My biggest complaint is with medium pole, its just lackluster boring design. I know its just a pole , stick with wires and its supposed to look practical to fit factorio theme but not like this! When I zoom out new poles look plain ugly, medium ones look like distorted skew logs. I know you guys are working hard and complains like this are like piss in the sea but its small details like this what makes bigger picture look so good!

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Power Poles

Post by ickputzdirwech »

Can you please explain what you mean by „old“ and „new“ power poles? I can’t remember that the design ever really changed. Some pictures maybe? And some more detailed explanation what exactly should be changed would be great. I am happy with the power poles as they are right now.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Gamatron332
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gamatron332 »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:13 pm
Can you please explain what you mean by „old“ and „new“ power poles? I can’t remember that the design ever really changed. Some pictures maybe? And some more detailed explanation what exactly should be changed would be great. I am happy with the power poles as they are right now.
I think they gave everything high res. Maybe op had high res on at one point and now they have tuned off? I’ve never seen the “new” and “old” power poles difference other than different resolutions

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

I mostly disagree with the OP, my only "complaint" about power poles is the rotated ghost image that doesn't match the actual placed power pole.
I don't remember any "old" design that looked better either.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Lulz. Collective memory loss?
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-195

Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

New poles are better.

This thread is meaningleas. No argument for why means there's no substance to critique and no need for any counter argument to refute your position.

Gamatron332
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gamatron332 »

eradicator wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:41 pm
Lulz. Collective memory loss?
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-195

Ooooohohhhoooooohh. Oh. I like the new big power poles better but I believe they adjusted it for easier to look at factories

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Side by side comparison pictures would be neat and what and why exactly the old one was better.
This fff doesn't contain the new look, must be a bit later where it really changed, since there were a lot of complaints back then IIRC

Redpossum
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Redpossum »

Qon wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:52 pm
New poles are better.

This thread is meaningleas. No argument for why means there's no substance to critique and no need for any counter argument to refute your position.
It would honestly never have occurred to me to complain about the aesthetics of the power poles. Given that the graphics of Factorio appear to be simple 2D sprites, couldn't one mod the appearance rather easily?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Redpossum wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:54 pm
It would honestly never have occurred to me to complain about the aesthetics of the power poles. Given that the graphics of Factorio appear to be simple 2D sprites, couldn't one mod the appearance rather easily?
Yes. Quite easily. Just download the old version and copy the graphics (ok, yea, you need to do a tiny bit of code-bending too). Suprisingly searching for "old pole" on the portal didn't find anything. The perfect market gap to publish your first mod ;)!

The kind of people who create these kinds of complaint-threads are usually the ones that "can't use mods" for arbitrary reasons - like "it would disable achievements" or "i want it in vanilla". There's no point trying to convince them.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

eradicator wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:07 pm
The kind of people who create these kinds of complaint-threads are usually the ones that "can't use mods" for arbitrary reasons - like "it would disable achievements" or "i want it in vanilla". There's no point trying to convince them.
Or “I want to play on most servers”
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by T-A-R »

https://wiki.factorio.com/File:Medium_e ... entity.png
Here you have the new and old pole together on one page.

Compared to the proposed poles in FFF195 i think this new pole retained a lot of character of the classic pole.

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

Thank you.

Seeing them side by side, I agree. New poles are better.

Return to “General discussion”