Lube-Only-Production

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

SackCFix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Lube-Only-Production

Post by SackCFix »

Because i have seen some Discussions on the Factorio-Forum and over on Reddit, i thought i build a Sample for myself to only Produce Lube.

So, this Setup doesn't need Oil/Pumpjacks at all. It only needs Coal and Water and 10x Heavy Oil Barrels to Kickstart. After filling the System with those Heavy Oil Barrels, it starts immediately and produces Lube as long as the Solid Fuel is wasted for Electricity or used somewhere else.

LubeOnlyProduction.jpg
LubeOnlyProduction.jpg (777.45 KiB) Viewed 15118 times

So, thanks to all you guys in the Forums who come up with those brilliant Ideas!

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Lube-Only-Production

Post by MassiveDynamic »

I don’t think those beacons are doing anything.

Other than that, nice job.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

The beacons are probably there to cocunonsume power, so as to use up the extra solid fuel. That is my guess at least.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Why not light oil to solid fuel?

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

darkfrei wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:42 pm
Why not light oil to solid fuel?
Same reason as the beacons. Have to waste the non-heavy oil biproducts. You get less solid fuel this way and hence need less power consumption.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

nice !

I wonder if the lube-making machine could potentially eat-up all the heavy oil before some of it goes back to the refinery. which would cause a need to add again some barrels.

I tend to add tank+pump in the local loop, and have the pump feed the lube-machine, only if tank is above a minimum threshold to avoid accidentaly starving the system. Maybe it's unecessary with 1 ref for 2 chemplants.

oh and nit-picking all the way, my mind wants to move the inserter feeding coal to the boiler 1 tile in diagonal and rotate it 1/4 turn, to feed it solid fuel instead. But maybe you've consider not doing it as it introduce a risk for the system to get stuck if lube gets full. Then requiring circuits to make sure and would ruin the appealing simplicity of the setup :)

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

That’s what I was afraid of. (Wasting power)
I would rather use the solid fuel and light oil for rocket fuel.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

MassiveDynamic wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:08 pm
That’s what I was afraid of. (Wasting power)
I would rather use the solid fuel and light oil for rocket fuel.
But then if the rocket fuel backs up, you can't produce anymore blue belts ! that's precisely what this setup was made for in the first place i assume. ( or robot frame ?).

You can think of the "wasted power" as an additional cost in electricity to produce the lube.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

This reminds me the facility I designed some time ago. It's a little longer to kickstart, but it converts one full yellow belt of coal (+ some water) into lube, all other byproducts are consumed on site, so no deadlock.
pic
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

@Koub , i see you too don't use pump to give priority to the feedback loop of heavy oil toward the ref vs towards the lube machine. I didn't even try without one you better not consume too much heavy oil with the chemplant :).

Also i would give a priority on the splitter to output rocket fuel to the boiler first, and only then to the steam engine. but it may be redundant with your power switch + radar system that read the belt.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

mmmPI wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:31 pm
@Koub , i see you too don't use pump to give priority to the feedback loop of heavy oil toward the ref vs towards the lube machine.
You might have missed that one :
2020-10-26 07_44_12-Window.jpg
2020-10-26 07_44_12-Window.jpg (17.3 KiB) Viewed 14933 times
mmmPI wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:31 pm
Also i would give a priority on the splitter to output rocket fuel to the boiler first, and only then to the steam engine. but it may be redundant with your power switch + radar system that read the belt.
I tried with priority to the right, to the left, and came back to "no priority" : I want both at the same time. Steam for my coal liquefaction, and steam for my steam engines.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Is there any particular reason why everyone seems to use coal instead of raw oil? Raw oil is infinite in vanilla so to me it seems to be the better candidate.

I made a quick test setup which produces 570 lube/min from a single fully depleted oil patch. Mining Productivity is level 4. With level 3 (pre-space science) it drops to 530 lube/min. I measured the @OPs construct to produce about 600 lube/min. As blue belts cost 20 lube each you get about 300 belts/hour for every 100 lube/min, so that's 1700 belts/hour for mine and 1800 belts/hour for @OP.

Free Lubricant:

Code: Select all

/c game.player.selected.amount = 60000 --[[depletes the oil under the mouse cursor]]
freelube.png
freelube.png (2.24 MiB) Viewed 14853 times
570perhour.png
570perhour.png (40.29 KiB) Viewed 14853 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

You're right, of course. I started with coal liquefaction because I thought that I would waste less resources, and I was hoping I would easily consume the byproducts (light oil & petroleum) to power the facility and produce the needed steam. Alas, I still had to add a bunch of radars to consume the excess.

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

Maybe I'm missing the deeper meaning here, but I just train the rocket fuel to my rocket silos. I never have trouble consuming it there.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

MassiveDynamic wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:21 pm
Maybe I'm missing the deeper meaning here, but I just train the rocket fuel to my rocket silos. I never have trouble consuming it there.
It seems, that most people stop researching, stop producing modules and stop doing anything, except producing blue belts.
So it's very important to have a possibility to produce lube without any by-products, no matter how useful they would be. :twisted:

Without sarcasm: Sometimes it's important to have a product line, that produces a product without dependencies. In vanilla, lube is such a candidate and because flare-stack is not a thing, you are stuck otherwise

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

jodokus31 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:38 pm
It seems, that most people stop researching, stop producing modules and stop doing anything, except producing blue belts.
So it's very important to have a possibility to produce lube without any by-products, no matter how useful they would be. :twisted:
that's when you have finished all research except infinity one, and you prepare your next base, which requires tons of belts.
Or you want to increase your robot count, for the next step, but you have no research available.

SackCFix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SackCFix »

Hi guys, thanks for your Replies!

The Setup i've shown was more a conceptual Thing rather than a solid workin' Automation-Line :D But the Concept will be used later in my Game and get beaconed like hell for my Roboframes (Automating Research, not Bots ;) )!

mmmPI wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:31 pm
I wonder if the lube-making machine could potentially eat-up all the heavy oil before some of it goes back to the refinery. which would cause a need to add again some barrels.
So i tested it and you can run 1 Refinery (no Modules) and 2 Chemplants (3xT3 Speedmodules) and it would still work but wont increase your Lube Production at all. I tried the same with 3 Chemplants and then the Heavy Oil gets sucked out immediately!

eradicator wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:12 pm
Is there any particular reason why everyone seems to use coal instead of raw oil? Raw oil is infinite in vanilla so to me it seems to be the better candidate.
Dude, your Setup with that single Oil Pump? That is such a smart Move i can't believe it! :lol: If there's Oil around i would definitely stick with your Design but if not, the Possibility to use Coal and Water to produce Lube on site is a pretty nice Alternative.
eradicator wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:12 pm
I made a quick test setup which produces 570 lube/min from a single fully depleted oil patch. Mining Productivity is level 4. With level 3 (pre-space science) it drops to 530 lube/min. I measured the @OPs construct to produce about 600 lube/min. As blue belts cost 20 lube each you get about 300 belts/hour for every 100 lube/min, so that's 1700 belts/hour for mine and 1800 belts/hour for @OP.
Thanks for the Numbers, i didn't had the Time to go deeper into that ;)

@Koub Also nice Design

Cheers!

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:31 pm
jodokus31 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:38 pm
that's when you have finished all research except infinity one, and you prepare your next base, which requires tons of belts.
Or you want to increase your robot count, for the next step, but you have no research available.
Maybe there are lots of people who also don't produce much modules for this next base, which would suck up so much petroleum gas and light oil for cracking.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

My own preference is to reserve oil purely for petroleum gas and rocket fuel, and make lubricant from coal (which is the least-used ore on the map once you transition away from boiler power). Excess LO/petroleum gas from the lubricant chain is then fed back into the boilers for the liquefication. Excess goes to, in order, train fuel, then for rockets, then dumped into a very large array of backup boiler power hooked into the rest of the plant, and if all that's full, is used to power itself. Since if you're consuming lubricant, you're using power somewhere, this prevents a total lockup.

Single-product refineries are significantly easier to balance out than multi-product ones, and easier to tile, generally.
Last edited by foamy on Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Could you try using the boilers to power it? Make it only need coal and not power?
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Return to “Show your Creations”