[Twinsen][1.0.0] Unable to connect in multiplayer (waiting for server to save map)

Bugs that are actually features.
GrumpyCO
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[Twinsen][1.0.0] Unable to connect in multiplayer (waiting for server to save map)

Post by GrumpyCO »

Hi all,

Recently brought the game, and I've been trying to connect to a friends server, but with no luck.

It continues to say waiting for the server to save the map, and then times out. I've tried to connect to a multitude of servers, with my firewall disabled and no mods. Attached are logs of trying to connect with Factorio in admin mode and without.

Thank you
Attachments
log-noadmin.log
(7.85 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
log-admin.log
(22.17 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.0.0] Unable to connect in multiplayer (waiting for server to save map)

Post by Twinsen »

Unfortunately multiplayer issues like this are hard to debug without much more information.
A wireshark capture might help us see what is happening. (PM it to me or filter by process name if you don't wish to upload it publicly)

Also having your friend host the game, having you try to connect and then sending the log file would be helpful.

Having the wireshark capture, client log and server log all from the same attempt would be ideal.

Thanks.

distantcam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] Unable to connect in multiplayer (waiting for server to save map)

Post by distantcam »

Hi all.

I'm also having the same issue.

Here's my wireshark logs for the comms from my home machine to a digitalocean instance I set up.

Please let me know if there's anything else you need. I'd like to get this resolved.
Attachments
factorio_capture.pcapng.gz
(48.26 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Twinsen][1.0.0] Unable to connect in multiplayer (waiting for server to save map)

Post by Twinsen »

Can you also turn on Verbose Logging on both client and server and send me the log files for both, and wireshark capture, all from the same session.

According to the capture, a few packets of the map are sent, but then the server stops sending them suddenly. Not sure what's happening yet.

The client should be showing the map download progress and not that it's waiting for map download. Can you confirm?

distantcam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Twinsen][1.0.0] Unable to connect in multiplayer (waiting for server to save map)

Post by distantcam »

I've PM'd you the files.

Also, here's a screencap of what happens in the client.
Attachments
screencap.gif
screencap.gif (1.94 MiB) Viewed 2347 times

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

The second report(stuck downloading map) was related to the network setup.
Something to do with traffic analysis option on the modem/router blocking some packets related to map transfers.

distantcam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by distantcam »

Yeah turns out my modem has some QoS and Traffic management options that can affect udp packets causing some loss.

Turning off these features fixed my udp packet loss problems, which fixed the factorio connection.

Return to “Not a bug”