How much megabase?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Gamatron332
Inserter
Inserter

How much megabase?

Post by Gamatron332 »

Hi again. So as many can probably tell I’m newer to the game and am having a ton of questions. Today’s questions is how much mega base can my pc handle? I host the game for friends often and was wondering along with the hosting how many spm can I get before having to quit due to ups. Here are my specs

Amd ryzen 7 2700 8 core with clock speed of 3.2
32 gigs of ram ( at one point I was running about 4-5 ark servers)
2 terabyte storage
I don’t think my gpu matter and at the moment I can’t exactly remember what it is but it has handled everything I throw at it with about 65-73 FPS everytime.

If you guys need anything else lemme know and I can tell you. Again any and all help is appreciated

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How much megabase?

Post by jodokus31 »

The pc can handle as much as you like, it just gets slower. Some people play with 30, 15 or lower UPS instead of the usual 60 UPS.
On the other hand, you also can create UPS friendly builds, which let you build higher SPM for same CPU usage.

Gamatron332
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gamatron332 »

jodokus31 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:47 pm
The pc can handle as much as you like, it just gets slower. Some people play with 30, 15 or lower UPS instead of the usual 60 UPS.
On the other hand, you also can create UPS friendly builds, which let you build higher SPM for same CPU usage.
I guess I should rephrase my question. How much can my pc handle before the ups/FPS drops below 40?

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Gamatron332 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:10 pm
jodokus31 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:47 pm
I guess I should rephrase my question. How much can my pc handle before the ups/FPS drops below 40?
It might make more sense to ask what to do, or not do, to get better UPS in your megabase.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Just play the game and see. You can build pretty big bases these days before it becomes an issue. You also have a good PC. Once you are at a certain point you don't have to stop there.
UPS is something to consider certainly, but it's also somewhat exaggerated by a small and very vocal fraction of the playerbase. Especially as a new player you should get a feel of the game yourself and see what you can do. If you run into issues you can address them then.

And like that other thread recent about UPS this is just useless theory. It really depends on what you do exactly, so it's impossible to say. When you've built some bases and have some first hand experience you're in a better position to judge when proactive optimization is even needed

Gamatron332
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gamatron332 »

Serenity wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:29 pm
Just play the game and see. You can build pretty big bases these days before it becomes an issue. You also have a good PC. Once you are at a certain point you don't have to stop there.
UPS is something to consider certainly, but it's also somewhat exaggerated by a small and very vocal fraction of the playerbase. Especially as a new player you should get a feel of the game yourself and see what you can do. If you run into issues you can address them then.

And like that other thread recent about UPS this is just use theory. It really depends on what you do exactly, so it's impossible to say.
Thanks. I guess we’ll just have to see. I do plan on upgrading my pc when this happens however. I take it as a personal challenge to always have my pc handle whatever I can throw at it.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Gamatron332 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:10 pm
There is no direct relation between UPS and SPM, not even an indirect one. If you built chaotic sphagetti you might end up with less than 500SPM, if you download a highly optimized 10kSPM base from the internet it might run at 60UPS. Also factorio is very Ram latency bound so the pure amount of Ram doesn't really matter.

I'll take a wild guess and just say: If you don't build total crap you can probably do 1000SPM at 60UPS. And once you got there you'll have a better understanding of the problem.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

This should help you see what you can expect with your rig :
https://factoriobox.1au.us/
And some more literature : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42165
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

t-lor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by t-lor »

Gamatron332 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:48 pm
Serenity wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:29 pm

And like that other thread recent about UPS this is just use theory. It really depends on what you do exactly, so it's impossible to say.
Thanks. I guess we’ll just have to see. I do plan on upgrading my pc when this happens however. I take it as a personal challenge to always have my pc handle whatever I can throw at it.
it wont work. you can grow your base exponentioly, increasing load exponentioly. but upgrading increases by perfomance per step

Return to “General discussion”