Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
DJQuad
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by DJQuad »

Does anyone know the "calculation" that goes with when you shift right-click on an assembler and then shift-click on a requester chest? You can of course change the values in the requester chest afterwards but the default values seem all over the place.

The latest requests were for red circuits. One requester chest wanted 14, the other wanted 12k.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

DJQuad wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:30 pm
Does anyone know the "calculation" that goes with when you shift right-click on an assembler and then shift-click on a requester chest?
It requests enough for 30 seconds of crafting

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

This specifically means: assembling machine 3 will request more items, adding speed modules will increase amount of requested items even further.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

In other words, its based on the machine’s speed at that moment ... faster machines need more materials to keep running smoothly.

AM1 would want so much Iron Plate to make Gears. AM3 with four PM3 modules, and 8 SM3 beacons around it, will request a lot more Iron Plate, but will also make a lot more Gears per minute than the AM1 would.

This is the reason I tend to make a little mock up of a machine, and 8 beacons, before blueprinting a production area. I don’t feed it materials, but I do make sure that the machine has all the PM3’s it can handle (slows recipe speed down) and a full load of Speed Beacons (dramatically speeds recipe speed up) before I Copy/Paste the machine onto the Requestor Chest.

tamanous
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

rich text & fluids

Post by tamanous »

To show items ingame in text, like in chat or as station names, you can type i.e. [item=iron-ore] and the image is shown instead of the text.

For me, this does not work for fluids. [item=crude-oil] does not show the icon, instead the text is marked in yellow.

What am I doing wrong? Are the internal names of fluid type items treated differently?

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: rich text & fluids

Post by wobbycarly »

tamanous wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:58 am
To show items ingame in text, like in chat or as station names, you can type i.e. [item=iron-ore] and the image is shown instead of the text.

For me, this does not work for fluids. [item=crude-oil] does not show the icon, instead the text is marked in yellow.

What am I doing wrong? Are the internal names of fluid type items treated differently?
Instead of "item" use "fluid". I think that's all you need, but if you turn on the debug mode and then hover over the item in the crafting menu it will show you the internal name.

tamanous
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: rich text & fluids

Post by tamanous »

wobbycarly wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:03 am
Instead of "item" use "fluid". I think that's all you need, but if you turn on the debug mode and then hover over the item in the crafting menu it will show you the internal name.
Thank you!

Hackeschmidt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hackeschmidt »

Hi,
in need for an quick affirmation.
LDS = low density structure.
being in the post game - should i cargo LDS to science or should i cargo plastic, steel and copper and produce LDS always locally in regards to railway traffic?
For 480 LDS ( 1cargo) i need 12960 ressources which are around 3 cargos+buffer and considering i want them to run constantly i think it doenst make sense to have even more trains which transport the LDS but i could be missing something.

I hope it makes somewhat sense^^
Last edited by Hackeschmidt on Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

You have 5 options.

1. Build LDS in the middle of nowhere. Requires 3.7 wagons per 400 LDS.
2. Build LDS at the rocket silo. Requires 2.7 wagons per 400 LDS.
3. Build LDS at the plastic plant. Requires 3.2 wagons per 400 LDS.
4. Build LDS at the steel furnace. Requires 3.5 wagons per 400 LDS.
5. Build LDS at the copper furnace. Requires 1.7 wagons per 400 LDS.

Most of the LDS cost is in copper plates, so the biggest savings is building them locally with the copper smelting.

Hackeschmidt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hackeschmidt »

Had a similar final thought but could not come up with these precise numbers. Thanks for the work. Exactly what i need. Did you calculate them by yourself or could you provide an additional link for an according tool? I am struggling to find it myself in case its even out there.
I assume the output cargo is included in all options except number two so i technically have to subtract by -0.833.. ,~-0.8 to get the input cargos only.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

One cargo wagon holds 400 LDS. (LDS has a stack size of 10, and each cargo wagon holds 40 stacks).

I'm pretty sure that each option except for number 2 includes the output cargo wagon.

My personal philosophy these days for large scale LDS production is to find a suitable site near unused copper, iron, coal and oil deposits, then build a plant that takes in iron + copper ore + coal + oil, and smelts the ores, refines oil, makes steel, plastic, and finally lds. Then I rail in the ores/coal/oil from the nearby resource deposits. That means most of the resource trains are only on the main rail line for a short distance, and cuts down on congestion. (For really large scale production I would have multiple LDS production sites, each with their own dedicated mines).

Just be aware that the small stack size means that you might want multiple trains moving LDS to the rocket silo/utility science production.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Hackeschmidt wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:41 pm
Had a similar final thought but could not come up with these precise numbers. Thanks for the work. Exactly what i need. Did you calculate them by yourself or could you provide an additional link for an according tool?
I'm not aware of a tool that works in wagons; all calculators I've seen are designed for rates. But if you set "one wagon of output per minute" you can just treat the numbers as if they were quantities, then it's fairly straightforward if you know wagon capacities: divide each relevant input by its respective wagon capacity, and add them up. Wagon capacities can be calculated from the fact a cargo wagon holds 40 stacks (note not 48 as you appear to think), a fluid wagon holds 25k, and the relevant stack sizes.

Note that productivity modules will shift the balance a bit - I think DaveMcW's figures assumed none - making eg rocket silo a closer second of those options.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

SoShootMe wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:30 am
I'm not aware of a tool that works in wagons
https://factoriolab.github.io/list#p=el ... ircuit*1*2

Hackeschmidt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hackeschmidt »

Zavian wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:47 am
One cargo wagon holds 400 LDS. (LDS has a stack size of 10, and each cargo wagon holds 40 stacks).

I'm pretty sure that each option except for number 2 includes the output cargo wagon.

My personal philosophy these days for large scale LDS production is to find a suitable site near unused copper, iron, coal and oil deposits, then build a plant that takes in iron + copper ore + coal + oil, and smelts the ores, refines oil, makes steel, plastic, and finally lds. Then I rail in the ores/coal/oil from the nearby resource deposits. That means most of the resource trains are only on the main rail line for a short distance, and cuts down on congestion. (For really large scale production I would have multiple LDS production sites, each with their own dedicated mines).

Just be aware that the small stack size means that you might want multiple trains moving LDS to the rocket silo/utility science production.
That concept you present is probably the way to go. I never embraced the playstyle of having multiple train networks(probably more ups friendly) or having one dedicated production line for high tier products/Science Packs in large scale. Gotta try that at some point. Up to now i devided my production lines into two to three steps all connected through one railway network and low tier production lines act as a provider and are not dedicated.
Granted, it's a mess.
Shipping the LDS is still something i probably want to avoid in general.
In the end i built an expandable yellow science factory next to relatively close copper patches with a train station for blue circuits, steel, plastic and robo frames. LDS is produced locally and further plans include a plastic production relatively closeby. Also some copper patches are further away. When i need them I build an exclusive railway.
Wagon capacities can be calculated from the fact a cargo wagon holds 40 stacks (note not 48 as you appear to think)
:roll:
That makes a lot of sense, was wondering about the 400. :lol:
Thank you. Gonna take a look.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

How to "un-mark" already marked items ind "Tips & Tricks" in 1.1.1?

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

brunzenstein wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:02 am
How to "un-mark" already marked items ind "Tips & Tricks" in 1.1.1?
/reset-tips
will reset all tips & tricks as unread and locked, so you need to re-trigger the events to unlock them.
Don't mark tips&tricks as read if you have not read them.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

I tried:

/c local reach = 10000
game.player.force.character_build_distance_bonus = reach
game.player.force.character_reach_distance_bonus = reach

to extend my reach in 1.1.1 but the console command doesn't seem to work.
How is then correct Lua command?

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

brunzenstein wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:13 am
I tried:

/c local reach = 10000

to extend my reach in 1.1.1 but the console command doesn't seem to work.
How is then correct Lua command?
The Lua commands are correct, but it seems each time you open the console to enter a command it gets it own scope. So you will need to enter all commands all at once (i.e., on one line, separated by semicolons). This should do the trick:

Code: Select all

/c local reach = 10000; game.player.force.character_build_distance_bonus = reach; game.player.force.character_reach_distance_bonus = reach
This way, all three commands are considered one block and the variable reach will keep the value you've set it to. (It will be reset to nil once you've executed that line and opened started another console line with \c.)

EDIT: You can test this for yourself.

-- Assign value to variable. This will not have any visible result:
/c local a = 123 
-- The variable was local to the last line, so it isn't set when you enter the next one. Output should be "nil"
/c game.print(a)

-- Assign and use variable on one line. This should output "123"
/c local a = 123; game.print(a)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Pi-C wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:25 am
So you will need to enter all commands all at once (i.e., on one line, separated by semicolons).
That sounds so complicated...
When someone posts a command block starting with "/c" like:

/c
local reach = 1e6
You just click "SELECT ALL" and copy/paste that into the game. Done. No need to manually add semicolons or whatever.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

eradicator wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:37 am
When someone posts a command block starting with "/c" like:

/c
local reach = 1e6
You just click "SELECT ALL" and copy/paste that into the game. Done. No need to manually add semicolons or whatever.
OK, with copy/paste it will work, but you can't directly type multi-line commands on the console as pressing <ENTER> will execute whatever was on the first line. (Also, while omitting the semicolon will work, I find it more intuitive to separate different commands visually.) So whenever I run commands in the game, I put the complete block on one line. For testing multi-line stuff, I either use a separate Lua installation outside of the game -- or I put the code somewhere in my mod where I know it will be run. Well, just a matter of personal preference, I guess … :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Return to “Gameplay Help”