Thank you (Make the dev-team happy today!)

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Thank you (Make the dev-team happy today!)

Post by Nova »

The game is awesome. Really awesome. Makes so much fun to play it, alone and with other people. (Buggy multiplayer)
You guys are one of the best developers in the world. You made nearly everything right about this game. I never said this before - and I participate in many indie games - but you really deserve it. You listen to the costumers, us. You fix bugs without huge waiting periods. The game is in early access and still has less bugs than many major AAA titles. You write in this forum and explain things, express your opinion and put so much time into it. We can feel your love for the game inside it.

To be honest, I dread the day when the games comes to Steam. I don't know how it will change it, or change you. Some people can't endure the pressure of so much fame. Notch did leave his company because he doesn't like how big it got and can't stand the pressure. Mike Maulbeck lost his temper and threatened to kill Gabe Newell because of a mistake in steam. "Ze PilOt" didn't stand all the complains about problems despite doing his best to keep Forged Alliance Forever (the unofficial online lobby for the game "Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance") running and up to date. All in all: People will complain. They always do that. I do that. I try to stop that, but it's hard. There are so many people which like or just love the game. Some people won't like it. That happens and it will hopefully not change your enthusiasm. If you ever feel bad about a new bug, or a missed release date, or complaining people who can't start the game or say it's a BuildCraft (mod for Minecraft) rip-off: Look at this and all the other posts in this thread. We support you. :)

Please never sell the game. You guys are Factorio.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

PalllaX
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PalllaX »

Well written Nova.

I beg you too please stay as you are right now. Money is good, money is cool, sure, but see EA Games. This money just smells ugly and people don't like it anymore.
Being such great devs like you are right now will result in more happiness in the long run.
We'll support you for this kind of manner for sure! :)

Have a nice weekend.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Nova wrote:The game is awesome. Really awesome. Makes so much fun to play it, alone and with other people. (Buggy multiplayer)
You guys are one of the best developers in the world. You made nearly everything right about this game. I never said this before - and I participate in many indie games - but you really deserve it. You listen to the costumers, us. You fix bugs without huge waiting periods. The game is in early access and still has less bugs than many major AAA titles. You write in this forum and explain things, express your opinion and put so much time into it. We can feel your love for the game inside it.

To be honest, I dread the day when the games comes to Steam. I don't know how it will change it, or change you. Some people can't endure the pressure of so much fame. Notch did leave his company because he doesn't like how big it got and can't stand the pressure. Mike Maulbeck lost his temper and threatened to kill Gabe Newell because of a mistake in steam. "Ze PilOt" didn't stand all the complains about problems despite doing his best to keep Forged Alliance Forever (the unofficial online lobby for the game "Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance") running and up to date. All in all: People will complain. They always do that. I do that. I try to stop that, but it's hard. There are so many people which like or just love the game. Some people won't like it. That happens and it will hopefully not change your enthusiasm. If you ever feel bad about a new bug, or a missed release date, or complaining people who can't start the game or say it's a BuildCraft (mod for Minecraft) rip-off: Look at this and all the other posts in this thread. We support you. :)

Thank you. Really. That was a very inspiring and motivating to read.

We are learning how to deal with stress and pressure (and there is tons of it already :)). Hence the yoga for me and gym for kovarex. As for the Steam we said couple of times already that we want to push the game closer to being finished first. That means fully functional multiplayer and meaningful endgame at the moment. We are aware that going to Steam could mean a big increase in the fanbase and we are not yet ready to deal with that. Though it is hard to resist all those "when are you getting on steam?" questions.

And yeah, Factorio is a "heart project" for us. Kind of like a baby (hmmm, that sounds weird). Having money is nice, but in the end it is just some numbers somewhere on the screen in the bank account overview (I still wear my old, destroyed pair of jeans). It is far more important for us to make the game a great and enjoyable product. The money is a means for us to achieve that.

dnlbaines
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by dnlbaines »

I had a 2 hour session with my brother yesterday, I thought I loved Factorio already but this has taken it to the next level. It is so amazing to work together on a factory - and very addictive! I love everything about this game and it keeps on getting better and better. The sounds add so much, the improved graphics are great - and the tank!

It's really fun to play and I can't wait until we can make rival factories and compete against each other as well. Really well done guys, this is an excellent game and I can't wait to see what else is in store. When this does release on Steam, you will make millions! :P

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

slpwnd wrote:
Nova wrote:The game is awesome. Really awesome. Makes so much fun to play it, alone and with other people. (Buggy multiplayer)

Thank you. Really. That was a very inspiring and motivating to read.

We are learning how to deal with stress and pressure (and there is tons of it already :)). Hence the yoga for me and gym for kovarex. As for the Steam we said couple of times already that we want to push the game closer to being finished first. That means fully functional multiplayer and meaningful endgame at the moment. We are aware that going to Steam could mean a big increase in the fanbase and we are not yet ready to deal with that. Though it is hard to resist all those "when are you getting on steam?" questions.

And yeah, Factorio is a "heart project" for us. Kind of like a baby (hmmm, that sounds weird). Having money is nice, but in the end it is just some numbers somewhere on the screen in the bank account overview (I still wear my old, destroyed pair of jeans). It is far more important for us to make the game a great and enjoyable product. The money is a means for us to achieve that.
Just... don't take anything to heart the Steam communities write. When you hit Steam, go for announcements and stuff, but don't take any of the critic you get too serious. I follow most forums for games I play at the time, and on Steam, it's always the same: no matter which opinion one has, nearly everyone is loud, rude and impatient. You will probably get more hate than love. The satisfied crowd usually doesn't give as much feedback as the displeased one, especially there on the Steam forums.

BTW, Multiplayer is so awesome, even in this rough version. Keep it up guys!

Jythier
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Jythier »

I've been sharing about my exploits in this game over on the VideoGameGeek.com forums.

I only got the game a couple days ago and I've already built a factory up to the blue research labs. I'm not sure what to do next but I'm sure I'll think of something. Always something to design!

I think someone earlier hit the nail on the head - it's a puzzle game. I was thinking it was a lot like SpaceChem. You need to create a way to get what you need where you need it constantly, and balance everything so things don't get out of whack. But, better than SpaceChem, when you solve one thing, there is always another problem. Always. But, the nice thing is, when you get to that next problem, you have more tools to deal with it. You have robots instead of just belts. You have smart chests, smart inserters, etc. You can now make things run much more smoothly.

The other game it's like is Terraria... you're exploring, battling enemies, trying to find deposits... anyway, I used those two. But maybe it's more like Open TTD. That had a big self-puzzle to it, with the train signals and such. I hope Factorio's signals are close to that level.

What I like about Factorio is that you're just a guy. Just one man on this planet, building things that work themselves while you're away. But at any time you can inject yourself into a process and it'll go better. At any time you can 'fix' something through your own being... but if you have to do that there's a problem, and really you need to solve that background problem instead of a quick fix using the avatar. I like how in the beginning of the game, you practically have to do things yourself for a while... chop wood, mine a bit manually, etc.

I like having to work my way up to things. It's fun that way. It teaches you slowly how to do everything.

Anyway, thanks for putting this game together. It's really fun to build solutions to problems in this sandbox.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think this is a good insight: it is three or four different games in one. Sometimes they are fully separated and sometimes they are completely connected.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Jythier
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Jythier »

Yeah, but you have to ask yourself - am I willing to develop 3 or 4 games but only end up with 1 game? More importantly, only get PAID for one game?

Sounds like a losing proposition to me. I would love to have 3 or 4 games in one from Factorio but really, you're only going to get the money for one of those games, so you really should only develop one, but make it really, really good. You can always start with this base game and then expand on it. Then the people who want RTS can buy an RTS expansion, the RPG guys can buy an RPG expansion. And the completionist will buy everything and you'll somehow have made it all work together in ways I can't even imagine.

I am excited to find out what the end game is going to be. We're building these factories now just because we were told to. We build defenses because everything is eventually coming to get us. We're building a rocket defense because that's the goal, but, is there something more? I think, before you decide what bent you're going with this game, you have to figure that out, because the RPG or RTS aspects have to end up supporting that goal.

Good luck! I love what you've done so far, and the factory building is so compelling in and of itself... :D

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Thinking about money never got the customers a better product. That's exactly the problem with EA and other major publisher. "Oh, we split the game into smaller parts. People who like this part can buy this, people who like that part can buy that, and someone who likes everything can buy everything." - and than they started to split important parts of the game, because everyone will like that and in conclusion buy that. And then they started to release games before they patched most of the bugs, because the sooner they release the more money they get. And after a few years with this economist at the decision-making positions we got what we have now: EA was voted "worst company of the year" (of the USA) multiple times. Good games and loving fans don't make the most money. Markenting directors do.

I don't want to deny the developers their cash, but I prefer 95 happy and 5 unhappy customers over 80 happy and 40 unhappy customers, despite making 20% more profit in the second.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Jythier
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Jythier »

Not thinking about money means Factorio never gets finished.

Just sayin'.

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

I am the most happy you can be.

I have dreamt about this game for long, and ever since I discovered it (2014-05-08) it has been the only game I play.

Yesterday evening an old acquaintance let me talk him into trying the demo. He only played a short time before the chat became silent. He was in the zone. When I decided to disturb him he had bought the game and was continuing the campaigns. Hook, line and sinker. This game is so addictive.

I watch a lot of youtubers play the game, and I have a slogan on my channel description:
Factorio.Viewer and gamer, amateur scientist and philosopher

No cable on belts for circuits.
This resulted in another quote:
FishSandwich wrote:Whenever someone puts cable on a belt, kovarex checks one more line of code before declaring it kovarex stable.
Google is my friend. Searching the forum and the wiki is always a first.

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

Jythier wrote:Not thinking about money means Factorio never gets finished.

Just sayin'.
You got it all wrong.

May the quest for perfection never end.

As most agree this game is a fantastic alpha, and even the beta plays incredible well.
With a team like this they will have a hard time keeping the money away.

Most happy gamer using 0.11.x beta
Google is my friend. Searching the forum and the wiki is always a first.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Jythier wrote:Not thinking about money means Factorio never gets finished.

Just sayin'.
They already did everything they have to do for money. They have defined the price and did say they will rise it slightly for version 1.0. It's not something you have to "think" for. Anything more will quite likely not be beneficial for the customers.
Greetings, Nova.

HeroBiX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by HeroBiX »

thank you for making an amazing game and including trains :D every games would be much better with a train, even Skyrim ;) and in Half-Life 2, there is trains… see, all good games have trains =) Roller Coaster Tycoon has trains too

fine… I stop

again, thanks for a great game! love the multiplayer and this is the type of game I have been looking for!

Pouf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pouf »

Factorio should have a 60+ rating. It is way too dangerous, totally not compatible with day jobs.
Please do something, add warnings or advertise it as a game for retired, unemployed and children.

My friend and I could keep playing for days without ever feeling sleepy. We just get over-excited.
Multiplayer is working perfectly (after opening the port on every computer) and it is amazingly fun.
I love the visuals (especially trees), mechanics, everything.

GOOD JOB
THANK YOU <3

Zero_Berz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zero_Berz »

Ah... after looong break i returned to factorio technomadness.

Guys. Thx for game. Thx for multiplayer AAAAAND Thx for TANK=)))))

we6jbo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Thanks

Post by we6jbo »

Hi all,

I really don't know where to put this but I just want to say that this game is amazing! Truly amazing and something that I've been looking for a long time. The first game that I've played that kinda had some level of automation was Tribes. The turrets gave the game something to do which allowed me to do other things. Games like Starcraft kinda had some form of semi-automation where I could queue up some things but there would always be everything else that required my control. Control is not something that I want to do especially if it's repetitive. Putting down a thousand torches in Minecraft led me to being not that very interested in the game. I even installed the Little Maids mod and heavily modified it so I wouldn't have to do that single task. This is what I love about this game. I don't have to do one thing over and over again. I can set it and forget it and I'm really glad I discovered this game through a lets player.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Thanks

Post by ssilk »

:)
For those, who want to answer similarly: use this thread
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=4580
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Thanks

Post by -root »

we6jbo wrote:I'm really glad I discovered this game through a lets player.
Must ask, who was it?

Cordylus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cordylus »

Thank you for the new player running animation.
Player looks very cool now! :)

Return to “General discussion”