Adding a endgame goal that never stops, that forces you to expand and explore constantly.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

bensin00
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Adding a endgame goal that never stops, that forces you to expand and explore constantly.

Post by bensin00 »

TL;DR
Kinda like supply challenge, except it would only be one material that you would constantly have to gather and just in bigger and bigger quantity. Forcing you to make bigger and bigger supply of the demand.

What ?
Simply it would be some kinda of a 'feed the beast'. You have some mouth or a box that you have to keep feeding material into, and it will have time interval, and constantly increasing. Maybe that supply will be limited to x amount of input at your starting location. So you will have to explore for another input location to feed it more over there, and then explore to another location. Constantly forcing you to explore and fight your way to clear aliens.

So you could simply create a normal game, whatever difficulty you want, and just tick a 'feed the beast mode', and a box or a special place will spawn on your starting location, that you will have to provide material into. That 'beast' would then grow as you feed it and then it would require more and more. I'm not sure if it would need to look like a beast, could be a box. But you get the point, it grows and you have to keep it calm from killing you.
Why ?
I simply stop wanting to play the game after I reached specific point, cause I just don't see any point. Shooting a rocket just seems to dull and making the game end.

I want something to kill me and I want to run of the tracks. Causing this mode to end the game if I can't feed it anymore. Eventually it would end, but it would most likely make you have to use all your talents in order to build a huge base to feed it as much as you can, and you would be able to beat your record. And you could even add some way, that if you reach specific point, that would just be insane to get, you would win the game. But then maybe that would have a time record on it. And you could also increase the difficulty of the interval, making it harder. Making it actually maybe fun for people to watch streamers playing this game. Making them sweat playing the game.
Last edited by bensin00 on Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Adding a endgame goal that never stops, that forces you to expand and explore constantly.

Post by Koub »

Like "max out all infinite research" ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

bensin00
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Adding a endgame goal that never stops, that forces you to expand and explore constantly.

Post by bensin00 »

Koub wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:19 pm
Like "max out all infinite research" ?
That would not force you to explore, and it would not have interval. What is going to kill you while you take your time to research.

Making you have to find new input locations to insert more supply, and the bigger the input location, the more under attack that place would be from aliens, you would have to use robots, and turrets to repair automatically. You would have to deplay complex, self inserting, gather bases with high protection the bigger the input location would be.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Infinite research being infinite, there is a 100% guarantee that you'll need to get arbitrarily far to get enough resource before you've seen the end of it. For that, an unlimited amount of biter nests will have to be cleared.
Also in doing so, you'll produce an arbitrarily large amount of pollution, triggering maximum evolution at some point.
It's pretty much the ultimate endgame goal that won't be reachable in any reasonable time span.

bensin00
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bensin00 »

Koub wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:52 pm
Infinite research being infinite, there is a 100% guarantee that you'll need to get arbitrarily far to get enough resource before you've seen the end of it. For that, an unlimited amount of biter nests will have to be cleared.
Also in doing so, you'll produce an arbitrarily large amount of pollution, triggering maximum evolution at some point.
It's pretty much the ultimate endgame goal that won't be reachable in any reasonable time span.
Is that something I can activate, and how would that make the game end, if it stops researching? How would I lose.. ?

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

bensin00 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:08 pm
Koub wrote:
Is that something I can activate, and how would that make the game end, if it stops researching? How would I lose.. ?
It's in the game. The researches that require Space (White) Science packs go on literally forever, you can just keep researching them and getting more benefit.

lois lane balancer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lois lane balancer »

Koub wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:11 pm
It's in the game. The researches that require Space (White) Science packs go on literally forever, you can just keep researching them and getting more benefit.
You both need to read OP's question.
They're not looking for an unending task. They're looking for an unending task that accelerates and ends the game if not kept up with. Like, as they mentioned, supply challenge.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Well as the infinite research infinitely grows in science (therefore resource) requirements, the demand is ever increasing. I assumed this would be enough of "always more" demand.

bensin00
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bensin00 »

Koub wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:17 am
Well as the infinite research infinitely grows in science (therefore resource) requirements, the demand is ever increasing. I assumed this would be enough of "always more" demand.
That is still not the point, if you play supply challenge, you will from start, have something to work on fast and to the end of the game - just its so easy, you will have a goal that keeps getting harder and harder while playing normal mode in factorio.

Just having something to feed otherwise you will lose the game. It's simple crate that would just need to kept fed or make it more fun by having something visual.

The game is just boring and you rely on aliens to keep the game challenging and fun by tuning them as hard as you can. Still it becomes just easy and you just plant enough turrets and then you have your same game back of thing you done million times before.

This would have you explore and expand and think and race against time from start to finish.

bensin00
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bensin00 »

lois lane balancer wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:16 am
Koub wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:11 pm
You both need to read OP's question.
They're not looking for an unending task. They're looking for an unending task that accelerates and ends the game if not kept up with. Like, as they mentioned, supply challenge.

Thank you, really didn't feel like they read what I said.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

OK I see in what I didn't get it. You want a game mode that guarantees you'll lose at some point, and the goal would be to last as long as possible, like in a tower defense, but with focus on production instead of combat. Am I right ?
If so, I think the best tool for this would be a scenario, or maybe a mod. I'm no expert in these subjects, but I think it's doable.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Koub wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:53 pm
If so, I think the best tool for this would be a scenario, or maybe a mod.
There is already an Oarc(maybe comfy?) scenario which does this. It makes biters evolve linearly forever, so the player eventually loses. I don't remember the name, but I think it is something like "tower defense".
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Indeed, but it's very combat focused. If I understand OP's request, the desired scenario would be an ever increasing supply challenge.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

So give us a growing volcano that can be slowed down using a liquid from those white bottles :)

bensin00
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bensin00 »

coppercoil wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:52 pm
So give us a growing volcano that can be slowed down using a liquid from those white bottles :)
That sounds like a awesome idea. Except you don't get white bottles until endgame, this would start early and never stop forcing you to grow with that demand.
Last edited by bensin00 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bensin00
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bensin00 »

Koub wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:28 pm
Indeed, but it's very combat focused. If I understand OP's request, the desired scenario would be an ever increasing supply challenge.
Yes that's kinda the idea, just to make it kinda like tetris, you will get a score but the blocks just keep on going. How far can you reach. If you can reach the end then that's good, but you could always tune the difficulty. Making it scaleable and getting x score in y difficulty would just give you bigger satisfaction. And would be kinda like the dungeon difficulty in World of Warcraft. And you would make the game competitive in a different way then just memorizing map and doing a speed to get a rocket to launch. It would be more round robin and you could do it with friends and it would make you sweat and keep you on your toes. Then just bunkering behind walls with million turrets waiting for your research to finish so you can make a power armor that turns you into god and you just walk over all aliens like they are just forest you have to cut down.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

coppercoil wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:52 pm
That's an awesome idea actually, though I'd hate it as a game mode myself.

Hole in the ground that will explode in X hours/minutes/seconds/ticks/whatever. Every science pack bottle you throw in it adds a tiny amount of time to that, but decreases the effectiveness of that pack to lower the time.

So eventually you'll be stuffing 10k of each pack into the volcano per second and the timer will STILL be going down.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

There is wave defense which fits a lot of this, and furthermore there's yet another gamemode (whose name escapes) which is exactly this kind of "feed the beast" thing: you produce increasingly complex items and deliver them to a chest within a time limit.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The picture, that formed in my head of this was a hole that needs to be feed.

No idea how and why that hole existed, but the point is: at first it is like an endless chest, and you can feed things into it from 4 sides only.

But the hunger of the hole grows and at some point it is higher than you can feed into it. And when you cannot deliver enough the hole grows. So it becomes 2x2 big and while growing it destroys everything in some area around it. This needs you to build extra fast new belts and inserters around it, but now you can feed it with 8 inserters.

And so on! Next steps are 12, 16, 20 inserters.

But the hole grows and grows, the faster you are, the faster it grows. With it’s growth it destroys the near infrastructure which makes it extra thrilling...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

I can picture this as a natural catastrophe.
It would be very fitting that in factorio a ice cap will melt due to the pollution generated by the factory thouse the water level will rise so we need some dams (walls/landfill) to be build to protect the factory from the ever growing water levels...

After some reasonable time there surly will be some fish evolved into dangerous animal which will take evolution to land and add danger

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”