Electric Discharge Defense trigger on melee damage

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Electric Discharge Defense trigger on melee damage

Post by Klonan »

As titled, I think this would make the Discharge defense actually quite useful, if it also knocked back biters a fair distance it would look cool.

At the moment triggering it manually is somewhat impractical, and it is rather hard to judge when to set it off. If it was activated automatically when the character is damaged by melee, it would be a really useful anti-biter weapon.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Electric Discharge Defense trigger on melee damage

Post by IronCartographer »

Time to necro a 5 year old thread with a modern addition!

Stun and knockback were added, but it's still a manually activated device, largely unused.

Rather than melee alone, it could also be if the shields are depleted [below a threshold?], and clear any acid around the player, aiding their escape.

provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by provet »

+1, in it's current configuration I've only used it once and then never again, not looking back once.

But to fire it when shields deplete or gets under a certain threshold would actually both make sense and give this (right now) useless item a reason to exist.

Though I find this necroing a tad late, @IronCartographer lol.

1.0 is already here. :)

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by QGamer »

As far as new player experience goes, a new player won't really understand in what situations the Discharge Defense would be useful.
(i.e. I've never seen a reason to use it in all my time playing this game. Even now, I wonder what it's supposed to be used for.)
Why take time to put away grenades and press a button on a remote to manually use armor equipment when you could just deploy combat robots and then run around?
Additionally, every other item in the armor operates completely automatically. Why is there no automatic mode for the Discharge Defense?
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

I like this idea, knocking back the biters would be superbly useful if taking melee damage.
The discharge remote could and should still be kept if a more manual approach is preferred.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Even if a knockback effect proves troublesome, a stun effect would be very useful for mitigating melee damage.

Of course, neither approach is very useful for surviving an acid bath.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

conn11 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:21 am
knocking back the biters would be superbly useful
bobucles wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:59 pm
Even if a knockback effect proves troublesome, a stun effect would be very useful for mitigating melee damage.
The knockback and stun are implemented in 1.0; it's the auto-fire and potential acid cleaning that are concepts only.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

IronCartographer wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:57 pm
conn11 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:21 am
knocking back the biters would be superbly useful
bobucles wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:59 pm
The knockback and stun are implemented in 1.0; it's the auto-fire and potential acid cleaning that are concepts only.
This is known. My point at least was: getting meeled by biters are mostly unwanted, discharge defence does help in such situations. Having it on an automatic mode would free up the player's hands for more offensive tools (e.g. grenades, poison). Though not directly removing acid pools, at least the slow down effect of acid is mitigated by combating biters more effectively.
Secondly, this would make discharge defence a far more viable option than just using PLDs.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”