[1.0.0] Fails parsing mod zip file.

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
yagaodirac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[1.0.0] Fails parsing mod zip file.

Post by yagaodirac »

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/DynamicWater
In my test, without zipping, the mod works correctly. But after I zipped it, it doesn't show in mod list. The game doesn't parse it.
Is this a bug or did I mess anything up?

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.0.0] Fails parsing mod zip file.

Post by boskid »

Are you sure this zip file is not corrupted?
90144-a.png
90144-a.png (7.84 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
90144-b.png
90144-b.png (2.36 KiB) Viewed 1702 times

yagaodirac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by yagaodirac »

boskid wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:03 pm
Are you sure this zip file is not corrupted?

90144-a.png90144-b.png

It's not corrupted. The characters are simplified Chinese character for I'm mainlander. Sometimes we write some Chinese. Emmm.
Any way, thank you for your help. I'm gonna upload the new zip.
But, could this issue be solved in the future?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

It is preffered if the file names use the standard asci, there are lot of programs and sytems that don't support special characters, and I prefer to keep it simple.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

yagaodirac wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:00 pm
But after I zipped it, it doesn't show in mod list.
What tool did you use to create the zip file? I used 7-zip to create a test mod with a garbage file named "坤為地は世界测验 [測驗] cèyàn 实验 [實驗].txt" and it loads fine. My guess is that corruption of zip files mostly happens when the creating program doesn't properly set the character encoding (i.e. is bugged).
kovarex wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:48 pm
It is preffered if the file names use the standard asci, there are lot of programs and sytems that don't support special characters, and I prefer to keep it simple.
There are indeed lots of broken programs where the programmers refuse to admit they're broken. So far i didn't get the impression that factorio is one of them. UTF8 is not magic. Languages that can be properly represented with ASCII are a tiny minority.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

yagaodirac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by yagaodirac »

kovarex wrote:
Yeah, sure, thanks. Will do.

yagaodirac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by yagaodirac »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:49 pm
yagaodirac wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:00 pm
But after I zipped it, it doesn't show in mod list.
What tool did you use to create the zip file? I used 7-zip to create a test mod with a garbage file named "坤為地は世界测验 [測驗] cèyàn 实验 [實驗].txt" and it loads fine. My guess is that corruption of zip files mostly happens when the creating program doesn't properly set the character encoding (i.e. is bugged).
kovarex wrote:
There are indeed lots of broken programs where the programmers refuse to admit they're broken. So far i didn't get the impression that factorio is one of them. UTF8 is not magic. Languages that can be properly represented with ASCII are a tiny minority.
I named some of the files with simplified Chinese. No idea about the reason. Anyway, I'm not gonna make this mistake anymore. Thanks.

Return to “Won't fix.”