Performance optimization - post your saves

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Performance optimization - post your saves

Post by varundevan »

azesmbog wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:00 pm
varundevan wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:50 pm
i use bots for quick completion of construction ..
i planning on upgrading, may i know what processor do you use...
if you could share your save games , it would helpful for ideas and inspirations..
the number of bots can be reduced by 10 times - nothing will change. I think so.
I have a 9700K processor, as I have already said.
My save is good for performance testing, but not for inspiration :)
Try downloading of course :)
viewtopic.php?p=504613#p504613
:D thanks again

Bimbol6254
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bimbol6254 »

Will you still be interested in saves coming up into 1.0 launch and after?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Bimbol6254 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:09 am
Will you still be interested in saves coming up into 1.0 launch and after?
If they're not just "built a lot" yes. I'm interested in saves where some extreme case is having issues.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

burner
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by burner »

I am interested how to optimize factory at nowadays. At some point one thumb of rule was that use bots instead of belts. Is it still valid at most of cases (specially with extra cargo slots)?
How insterter activity is triggered in call stack level? I mean that at tick will inserter check that is there item at spesific position or will item call inserters? Also if I disable stack inserter with circuit network to keep care that it always take full stacks will that circuit network check take anyway same cpu (or need same amount of memory actions) what that item transfer take or will that save cpu time?
I know that years ago reseding was little allergic for this topic but I dont know what is your stance nowadays? It would be nice if some of friday facts will focus on this kind things that what players can do if they want squeeze those last extra drops of juice from their giga factory.

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheTom »

Remember that depending on research mods, robots still may be seriously better than Belts. You an research both capacity as well as speed, while (even with, what I use, bobs mod) belts are quite limited in throughput and do not get better than top tier (which is around 72/second, iirc).

villareol12
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by villareol12 »

TheTom wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:44 pm
Remember that depending on research mods, robots still may be seriously better than Belts. You an research both capacity as well as speed, while (even with, what I use, bobs mod) belts are quite limited in throughput and do not get better than top tier (which is around 72/second, iirc).
Are you sure that the calculation is around 72 / second, iirc??

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

villareol12 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:07 pm
TheTom wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:44 pm
Are you sure that the calculation is around 72 / second, iirc??
Vanilla max tier belt is 45 items/second. Vanilla robots don't have a hard limit, but eventually get to a soft limit (once you don't have enough roboports to power the bots). Don't know where the 72 comes from though.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

orpailleur
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by orpailleur »

When setting up the guide rails my base has a big gap, I went from 50-55 FPS / UPS to 2-3 FPS / UPS, I have about 300 trains and so on. I have many mods, but I see no problem with mods on the debug screen, but the number of "pending update" has increased from 10 to 20 or even over 300.

sceiler
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sceiler »

Hi,

I am doing a Krastorio 2 playthrough using a grid layout. My train crossings have circuit-powered crossing. Currently my grid has 361 blocks and it runs with about 45-50 UPS/FPS. Before I added the last ~95 blocks it was running pretty stable with 60 UPS/FPS. According to the debug menu the main culprit is Circuit Network and Entity Updates. When I asked in /r/TechnicalFactorio's Discord Server stevetrov kindly looked into my save and it looks like Rail Chain Signals plus Walls are the reasons for my UPS drop. See here: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png
RustyBlade64 suggested that I post here as Chain Signals + Walls + Circuit Network might be exotic enough to not have been looked at in-depth from a performance point of view.

Attached is my savegame (krastorio7) and I am using a modified version of Advanced Electric mod (also attached).
Here is my block BP (https://pastebin.com/K8Jt3Gur) and the vanilla version of it (https://pastebin.com/SfpQ7P2B).

PS. there is a small "bug" in my safe train crossing. Kudos to whoever finds it (it is actually quite easy to find) and knows of a way to fix it.
"Bug" description:
One of the walls will close when a train approaches even though it would be perfectly safe to cross
Attachments
Advanced-Electric-Revamped-v16_1.99.99.zip
Modified mod for own use
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 151 times
krastorio7.zip
Savegame
(32.51 MiB) Downloaded 194 times
Benchmark
Benchmark
unknown.png (39.07 KiB) Viewed 8247 times

Guenni7
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Guenni7 »

Were there made any optimizations additional to belts between 1.0 and 1.1.1 ?
I have a belt free factory, 60UPS before and after update, times in debug view look the same too,
but I move around much faster and riding in a train is faster too.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Guenni7 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:35 am
Were there made any optimizations additional to belts between 1.0 and 1.1.1 ?
Groups of belts now update in parallel.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Guenni7
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Guenni7 »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:52 am
Yes, but I don't have any belts in my factory, zero :)
Guess question was not clear, I want to know it there are additional optimizations other than to the belts.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Guenni7 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:24 am
Jap2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:52 am
Yes, but I don't have any belts in my factory, zero :)
Guess question was not clear, I want to know it there are additional optimizations other than to the belts.
Ah, I misread that sorry. That is the only major one I've heard of, there were likely a few minor improvements (there usually are with major updates) but nothing big that I've heard about, so your performance should be very similar. If you were already running at a consistent 60 UPS it shouldn't be noticeable anyway.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Guenni7
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Guenni7 »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:33 am
Ah, I misread that sorry. That is the only major one I've heard of, there were likely a few minor improvements (there usually are with major updates) but nothing big that I've heard about, so your performance should be very similar. If you were already running at a consistent 60 UPS it shouldn't be noticeable anyway.
The bigger my base got, the slower I was running, even with 60UPS. Had that in all my maps so far.
From 1.0 to 1.1.1 is a massive difference, it's like running around at god-speed :)
Whatever magic the devs did to 1.1.1, I hope they keep it up.

Lennartos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lennartos »

With threading now being touched in 1.1, i sincerely hope it might be helpful to to provide a savegame with lots of surfaces. (space exploration mod)
Speed on the server is now down to 24UPS to match the smallest client.. which is a pain.
And it doesnt feel activity itself is what's causing the slowdown, we have tried replacing mines with omnimines and some insanely large smelters to reduce entity count - but it really seems to be just many small things accumulating.

Electricity system (3ms)
And Entity System (8ms)
Seem to be the worst offenders as far as i can see.
My hope is that surfaces should be relatively easy to be seperated into threads, if entities and electricity themselves prove to be a challenge to thread.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgIrNxBqx15xy4dVXOd ... Q?e=qf4N65

themacguffinman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by themacguffinman »

I was playing multiplayer 1.1.1 Experimental with a friend and both of us have noticed saving & loading have started taking a long time. The game started micro-freezing yesterday and loading a multiplayer session today took way longer than usual. One thing we noticed was that the save file size has gotten huge: you can see the save file size progression here:

Code: Select all

-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan 5.6M Nov 25 20:37 josh-1.1-a.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan 6.7M Nov 25 22:26 josh-1.1-b.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan 8.5M Nov 26 01:38 josh-1.1-c.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan  11M Nov 26 03:27 josh-1.1-d.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan  13M Nov 26 17:28 josh-1.1-e-bad.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan  15M Nov 26 21:56 josh-1.1-f.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan  16M Nov 26 23:28 josh-1.1-g-bad.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan  56M Nov 27 04:35 josh-1.1-h.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan 150M Nov 27 15:22 josh-1.1-i.zip
We're hoping you can find clues to this performance issue in the save files that I've uploaded in Google Drive here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

themacguffinman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by themacguffinman »

themacguffinman wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:52 pm
I was playing multiplayer 1.1.1 Experimental with a friend and both of us have noticed saving & loading have started taking a long time. The game started micro-freezing yesterday and loading a multiplayer session today took way longer than usual. One thing we noticed was that the save file size has gotten huge: you can see the save file size progression here:

Code: Select all

-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan 5.6M Nov 25 20:37 josh-1.1-a.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan 6.7M Nov 25 22:26 josh-1.1-b.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan 8.5M Nov 26 01:38 josh-1.1-c.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan  11M Nov 26 03:27 josh-1.1-d.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan  13M Nov 26 17:28 josh-1.1-e-bad.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan  15M Nov 26 21:56 josh-1.1-f.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan  16M Nov 26 23:28 josh-1.1-g-bad.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan  56M Nov 27 04:35 josh-1.1-h.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 stan stan 150M Nov 27 15:22 josh-1.1-i.zip
We're hoping you can find clues to this performance issue in the save files that I've uploaded in Google Drive here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
My friend & I did some testing and it appears to be related to the Bottleneck mod Construction Drone hack mod (it's just the "Construction Drones mod with the version bumped): https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Construction_Droneslk. When we disable the mod and re-save the game, the save file becomes small again. Sorry for reporting a mod-related issue.

shubharora734
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by shubharora734 »

It might have something to do with the updated steam-graphic, or that I run it with my onboard graphic card with 1 or 2 GB VRAM (not sure, not in my computer right now)

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Lennartos wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:16 pm
[...]Speed on the server is now down to 24UPS to match the smallest client.. which is a pain.
[...]but it really seems to be just many small things accumulating.

Electricity system (3ms)
And Entity System (8ms)
Seem to be the worst offenders as far as i can see.
[...]

[...] should be relatively easy to be seperated into threads, if entities and electricity themselves prove to be a challenge to thread.
threading most likely isn't a solution.

and this is why people don't play Space Exploration in multiplayer - or if they do, it typically doesn't last very long.

Electricity and Entity updates simply mean you have "built too much". ElectricNetwork updates aren't threaded, and the gains of threading it would be minimal. it's not really a problem in Vanilla gameplay. maybe in the expansion they'll look into this if the gameplay mechanics change.

overall though, you're right. it's just many small things accumulating. mostly inserters consuming power. if you disable their power consumption by giving them a void source, it'll make things better by a few milliseconds. but then you'll just run into this ceiling again.

one thing you can try is the GTTS mod. it will modify the speed of all items in the game / electric consumption so that it feels like 60 UPS while it's running at 24 UPS.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

jfyi Rseding91, using Microsoft's mimalloc implementation instead of glibc malloc has resulted in a 50% reduction in update time on a train-centric megabase save, from 7ms to 3.5ms.

Return to “General discussion”