Multiple Names and Conditions For Train Stations

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Balthazar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Multiple Names and Conditions For Train Stations

Post by Balthazar »

Trying to run multiple trains with different cargos and routes through the same station is a huge pain. Currently doing stuff like this:

Which works ok as long as you aren't doing stations with 4 or more trains and the trains are 3+ locomotives in front, but neither clean nor intuitive. Want this for large, fast sorting systems using trains as alternative to drones/belts and train only challenge with mods like bobs. It would also allow for better customization of train routes by letting one station have different, more meaningful names in different train orders. Think it would still be useful for vanilla and shouldn't be a big issue to add to the game.

Something like this i think would be a good solution:
Just let train path to any enabled station adjacent to the first

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Multiple Names and Conditions For Train Stations

Post by ssilk »

How should the train stop names displayed on map?

And I think enabling multiple stop-names will create a big chaos.... :)
The problem is, you think too deep into the optimal solution of your problem.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Balthazar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Multiple Names and Conditions For Train Stations

Post by Balthazar »

The problem is, you think too deep into the optimal solution of your problem.
This is definitely true for vanilla unless you count sorting setup, which also is not as useful as with mods.

After talking to KnightElite it also seems there is a somewhat reasonable solution using waypoint stations; example credit goes to him:

This way you just use the three stations in front of the loading/offloading point as the three stations you'd want (scales to any amount) like waypoint: unload iron gear, waypoint: unload copper plate, waypoint: load red science and the actual loading station just named station. This scales to any amount of different stations for the OR clause, and allows arbitrary load/unload trains like the load copper ore > unload copper ore train pattern, it just looks like load copper ore > station > unload copper ore > station here. I think this kind of ended up owning my suggestion but it seems like its still worth discussing why its maybe not such a good idea. This way can also be done without anything more than novice circuit knowledge, its no harder than setting up a station to turn on/off at certain cargo levels, just doing it multiple times. No memory or clocks needed.
How should the train stop names displayed on map?
Can just offset the names vertically by font size:

It will look like a mess, but less than any other way of doing the same thing :lol: Like i said after talking to KnightElite there are definitely simpler ways of doing it than what i was trying so it's nowhere near as useful as i was thinking it would be.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”