Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Impatient »

Can you reproduce this in an unmodded and fresh game? If yes, file a bug report.

If no, deactivate all mods and test if it still happens. If yes, file a bug report with the savegame attached. If no, track down the mod, that is responsible for that behavior and file a bug report to the mod author.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Do you use the BigBrother mod? It had an issue with radar blueprints and maybe decon planner.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

DJQuad
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DJQuad »

I do. That was it. Thanks!

spinba11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by spinba11 »

Where’s the option to/not to display train stop names in map view? I’ve gone through every menu screen about 10 times but can’t find it.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

spinba11 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:04 pm
Where’s the option to/not to display train stop names in map view? I’ve gone through every menu screen about 10 times but can’t find it.
Not in any menu. When you go to map view, additional symbols will appear under the minimap for toggling stuff on/off in map view. Try the circle symbol:
train_stop_names.jpg
train_stop_names.jpg (49.81 KiB) Viewed 4657 times

spinba11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by spinba11 »

Thank you, I feel very silly. :lol: :lol:

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

I've been having trouble keeping my pipes full of water after the one directly in front of a pump on the line. I know it's really effective in filling up fluid wagons and such, but is it at all helpful for shuttling liquids down your bus line? Or should there maybe only be one at the origin of the fluid (eg. at the point where all your lubricant production leads out into your base/bus), if at all?

EDIT: To elaborate a little bit, I'm playing with Angel's Mods right now, and I'm having issues getting purified water from a more local source at the moment to fuel my floatation cells properly, before I get an external location to mass-produce it and bring it in via train. The problem I'm having now (and the problem I hope I won't have when the trains are brought in) is that there's plenty near the first set it reaches, but it can't reach across all the columns of cells that well (as in, actually have any pure water at the start of the line), nor can it go down vertically to reach every single cell with enough water to run them constantly).

At the same time, if I leave the production area with no pumps at all, those pipes near there get completely filled with the water while everywhere else is left empty, like the pipes are acting as if there's nowhere else for the liquid to go even though there are multiple pipes down the line that have room for it. Barring just making room for individual stops for pure water for each line of cells (which is a possiblity for later mega-production but not right now), what can I do to get all that water over?

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Voidedfactory wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:30 am
I've been having trouble keeping my pipes full of water after the one directly in front of a pump on the line. I know it's really effective in filling up fluid wagons and such, but is it at all helpful for shuttling liquids down your bus line? Or should there maybe only be one at the origin of the fluid (eg. at the point where all your lubricant production leads out into your base/bus), if at all?
Pumps along a pipeline can be useful because the maximum attainable flow rate depends on the number of pipe segments between pumps; this is described in the Wiki.
Voidedfactory wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:30 am
EDIT: ... The problem I'm having now ... is that there's plenty near the first set it reaches, but it can't reach across all the columns of cells that well (as in, actually have any pure water at the start of the line), nor can it go down vertically to reach every single cell with enough water to run them constantly).
You may have pipelines that are too long (so flow is restricted - add pumps or pipelines), insufficient supply (so there is nothing left for consumers further away - increase supply), or both. Work out the supply needed, and the problem(s) should be clear.

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

So I should have a tank at the start of the line (where my production is, at every ending to an UG pipe, perhaps to a tank at the other end (with another pump leading out), and then spread out pumps at every instance I can along the line (perhaps before and after every split to the buildings) as well as heading to each line of buildings?

Seems like i should do the same for pipes going along my bus, too, to ensure that at the very least there's no back-up at the production/drop-off locations.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

The most important thing is that you separate the storage tanks from the pipes with pumps (imo on both sides of the tank). And I would only put storage tanks right behind the production area.

You don’t necessary need pumps in the middle of a pipeline. It really depends on the length of the pipe and the throughput you want to achieve. Lubricant is a good example where you usually don’t need any pumps since you need so little of it. This might be different for e.g. raw oil if you have a long pipeline for it.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

I definitely need a lot of pure water because I need to have a lot of floatation cells in order to have a full belt of the product. A full blue belt needs almost 40 of them at the highest level.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Voidedfactory wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:21 pm
I definitely need a lot of pure water because I need to have a lot of floatation cells in order to have a full belt of the product. A full blue belt needs almost 40 of them at the highest level.
At this (huge) scale, you may want to attach the recycling of waste water with floatation cell. If i remember correctly, floatation cells create (4?) different kind of waste water. If you were to make a design where you use (made up illustrative numbers), 2 water plant, every 8 floatation cell in the same blueprint, it would be easier to increase capacity rather than having 2 different areas , one for producing purified water, and one for floatation cell.

Several smaller pipe networks containing a tank that receive additionnal pure water when said tank is under 20K for example. And you'd have 1 distribution network to connect the train station to all those, it would be under less stress since most flow would be circular in the little ones.

Treating waste locally and reusing the water could reduce drastically the need for shipping new water, i know it doesn't answer the piping issue, but it hopefully allows to circumvent it.

bobdabuilda
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bobdabuilda »

Hi guys - this is a bit of a weird one - for me, at least!! Have searched the forums and wiki etc. but haven't been able to find an answer, and it's bugging me...

I just "lost" 1500 or so purple science flasks by ctrl-left clicking on them in my inventory, whilst not having a container open or selected. I was simply sitting in my inventory, ctrl-clicked them, and they simply up and vanished. I've been driving around my base checking out all the chests I can see/find... but no sign of them...??

At the stage of the game I'm at, 1500 purple is a fair bit of science that I'd prefer not to lose! Any tips/suggestions, please? :)

Edit - nm. Found it - was closer than I thought. It had gone to the trash section in my Logistics tab (which I am not using as yet, so hadn't thought to look there til I did a little more testing to try and work out what was going on...

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

bobdabuilda wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:18 am
Hi guys - this is a bit of a weird one - for me, at least!! Have searched the forums and wiki etc. but haven't been able to find an answer, and it's bugging me...

I just "lost" 1500 or so purple science flasks by ctrl-left clicking on them in my inventory, whilst not having a container open or selected. I was simply sitting in my inventory, ctrl-clicked them, and they simply up and vanished. I've been driving around my base checking out all the chests I can see/find... but no sign of them...??

At the stage of the game I'm at, 1500 purple is a fair bit of science that I'd prefer not to lose! Any tips/suggestions, please? :)

Edit - nm. Found it - was closer than I thought. It had gone to the trash section in my Logistics tab (which I am not using as yet, so hadn't thought to look there til I did a little more testing to try and work out what was going on...
Yep. Shift+Left-click automatically puts things into Trash logistics as the default keybind. You might also realize it if you stand within a roboport's logistic range as they'll all come running to you to pick up the purple science.
mmmPI wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:02 pm
Voidedfactory wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:21 pm
At this (huge) scale, you may want to attach the recycling of waste water with floatation cell. If i remember correctly, floatation cells create (4?) different kind of waste water. If you were to make a design where you use (made up illustrative numbers), 2 water plant, every 8 floatation cell in the same blueprint, it would be easier to increase capacity rather than having 2 different areas , one for producing purified water, and one for floatation cell.

Several smaller pipe networks containing a tank that receive additionnal pure water when said tank is under 20K for example. And you'd have 1 distribution network to connect the train station to all those, it would be under less stress since most flow would be circular in the little ones.

Treating waste locally and reusing the water could reduce drastically the need for shipping new water, i know it doesn't answer the piping issue, but it hopefully allows to circumvent it.
To be specific, both Stiratite and saphirite make sulfuric waste, Jivolite makes Fluoric, and crontinium makes chloric. I don't have bobmonium and the other one enabled, so I don't know if they make chloric or nitric waste, but yeah.

That wouldn't be a horrible idea, though in that specific case the ratio would be too low to allow the cells to work constantly (waste water treatment only makes about 20 pure water). I do have the hydro plants dealing with sulfuric waste hooked back up to the pure water system so it's directly feeding back in. May not be the worst idea to first drain pure water from that part of the system, then draw from the main pure water production area afterwards, too.

(then it's just a matter of finding enough stuff to get rid of all the produced sulfur.)

Still, attaching enough pumps did help. I'm far along enough in this playthrough that I'm not going to worry too much about iterating and finding the perfect setup, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to keep it in mind when I do a playthrough with the smelting, etc. overhauls enabled.

TheRangerLOL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheRangerLOL »

In what order do inserters unload the cargo of chests if multiple items are held in a single chest? Is it the item slot furthest down (aka most recent)?
The one and only.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Voidedfactory wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:07 pm

in that specific case the ratio would be too low to allow the cells to work constantly (waste water treatment only makes about 20 pure water). I do have the hydro plants dealing with sulfuric waste hooked back up to the pure water system so it's directly feeding back in. May not be the worst idea to first drain pure water from that part of the system, then draw from the main pure water production area afterwards, too.

(then it's just a matter of finding enough stuff to get rid of all the produced sulfur.)
That's what i meant, the draining thing would be many circular network containing 1 tank the water plant and floatation cell. You add pure water to this network via the tank from the main pure water production area with a pump active only when the tank is lower than 20K for example. Allowing as much local re-using as possible reducing the need for the waste being shipped away to be cleaned and come back.

You could clarify the sulfuric water waste when sulfur is full. (losing efficiency on water).
You could also use oxygen from air filter to gasify the sulfur, void the nitrogen and the sulfur gas into the atmosphere ( losing efficency on electricity ) :).

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

TheRangerLOL wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:45 am
In what order do inserters unload the cargo of chests if multiple items are held in a single chest? Is it the item slot furthest down (aka most recent)?
Yes, to put it simply. THe only times it won't is if A.) It's a filter inserter whose filter(s) isn't/aren't the most recent item but is/are items further back, or B.) the location the inserter will place the item is another building that item doesn't belong to (ie. copper cable would be the most recent item, but an assember the inserter is going to doesn't require copper cables). Or C.) The location is full and can't accept any more items.

IIRC those are the only situations were an inserter will not pull the most recent item or any item at all. I think basically any other situation either results in successfully placing the item or the item just hanging in the air in the inserter's hand.

Trebor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Trebor »

I'm confused. I thought trains would reroute if their path was blocked. In the screen shot below my work train is blocking the normal path out of the refueling stations but there are four bypasses that have stations that they could use.
Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 5.02.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 5.02.46 PM.png (200.95 KiB) Viewed 4302 times

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

Question, is there a train assigned to the one bypass station that is open?

I don’t think (75% sure) trains will route through a closed station.

Edit: I tested my theory and I was right. Trains will not path through closed stations, nor stations that are assigned to another train en route.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Trebor wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:05 pm
I'm confused. I thought trains would reroute if their path was blocked. In the screen shot below my work train is blocking the normal path out of the refueling stations but there are four bypasses that have stations that they could use.
The train path finding algorithm is documented in the Wiki. Trains waiting at a signal do repath periodically, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will choose a different path: the current path may still be the cheapest according to that algorithm.

That said, applying the rules on that page, I can't see why your work train (which I assume is "a manually controlled stopped train without a passenger" -> penalty 7000) isn't enough to cause a path going through one of the stops to be cheaper, and I haven't managed to replicate your problem except by adding many stops on the alternative paths.

Return to “Gameplay Help”