[1.0.0] Multiplayer server lagging

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Elvenadoren
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.0.0] Multiplayer server lagging

Post by Elvenadoren »

Hey,

recently, me and my friend decided to play together on hosted multiplayer server using hicoria.com server. For few weeks we have been playing without any issue but recently, both of us started to experience periodic lags. We both have them at the same time and the server console throws several of these errors when the lag happens: Info UDPSocket.cpp:368: Sendto failed (but can be probably ignored): Network is unreachable

Naturally we thought that the problem is with the hosting so we reach them and tried to solve it but even tho they were very cooperative, they haven't found anything that could cause it on their side so we came to the conclusion that it may be a problem on the application side.

My question is, what exactly triggers this error and what can we do?

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] Multiplayer server lagging

Post by starlinvf »

Info UDPSocket.cpp:368: Sendto failed (but can be probably ignored): Network is unreachable

This right here indicates a network associated problem. But because its a hosting service, and they're denying its them, this is probably gonna be an uphill battle. Being a VPS also makes things kind of iffy.

If you can upload the logfile that would be helpful.

https://wiki.factorio.com/Log_file

What needs to be determined is what destination address is triggering the unreachable event (if possible), and what node is actually throwing back that notification. I'm assuming you have some experience in server administration; if not... this is gonna be difficult.

If you have command line level access to the server, or provided tools for diagnostics, what you want to try to setup a continuous ping from the server to both your clients, and see if anything shows in the same periods as the errors in the game. If you're lucky, the ping will report back the IP/hostname of the node throwing up the Unreachable, and then figure out who owns it. Odds are really high its either one of their edge networks, or the Peer link connected to it. If its further back in their network, thats even worse.

Elvenadoren
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Elvenadoren »

I have attached the server log file to this post.

I will try to get command line access to the server. I am not complete stranger to this stuff but I am no expert either, will report back as soon as I have the access. Thanks anyway.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 73 times

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starlinvf »

wow, the log file reads like Volcano Insurance.

unfortunately nothing all that useful for figuring out where the unreachable error is being reported from.

Elvenadoren
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Elvenadoren »

So, I have no command line access since the hosting is not offering it to the clients. I am trying to get the ping output when we are going to play but it is not easy.

Return to “Technical Help”