[1.0.0] Train stop GUI is unnecessarily wide

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[1.0.0] Train stop GUI is unnecessarily wide

Post by ickputzdirwech »

There is a huge gap between "R", "G" and "B" and their sliders. It is a bit confusing and also a waste of space. Tested with different GUI scales, full screen or not. My screen resolution is 1920 x 1200.
to wide trainstop gui.png
to wide trainstop gui.png (284.99 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.0.0] Train stop GUI is unnecessarily wide

Post by boskid »

Train stop gui has been reworked for 1.1 so this bug report may be obsolete. Still it will be a little wide but it is acceptable as for me.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Personally I think that changing the text to "Red" "Green" "Blue" be more intuitive for non-technical folks who might not immediately understand what the letters "R" "G" "B" refer to. Would that be practical? Would that fill the empty space?

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Zavian wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:01 pm
Personally I think that changing the text to "Red" "Green" "Blue" be more intuitive for non-technical folks who might not immediately understand what the letters "R" "G" "B" refer to. Would that be practical? Would that fill the empty space?
Well … if it is full words, it needs proper translations. Different languages have different words for the colors, each at different lengths. Would make it more inconsistent.

The abbreviation "RGB" for the color model is offten not translated but instead used as a standing technical term, and thus fairly well understood internationally.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

valneq wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:25 pm
Well … if it is full words, it needs proper translations. Different languages have different words for the colors, each at different lengths. Would make it more inconsistent.

The abbreviation "RGB" for the color model is offten not translated but instead used as a standing technical term, and thus fairly well understood internationally.
The point is they aren't using the abbreviation RGB. Nor have they used R: [text box] G: [testbox] B: [textbox], where the three letters are obviously labels for three related numerical values.

Instead they have used

R [ slider ] [textbox]

G [ slider ] [textbox]

B [ slider ] [textbox]

It took me about 2 seconds to make the connection that the R was referring to Red, and this was an RGB entry dialog. Hence I feel it would have be better if they actually used the words red, green and blue, which would have removed any confusion about what the R stood for, and made the connection to colour obvious. (Admittedly removing the large gap between the letters and the slider will help).

And yes, changing the text implies the need to update translations.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Nah, they should be using H, S and V.

Or a separate color selector that includes presets for some standard colors, presets generated from tints of ores and user defined presets.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

There will be a color picker, similar to one in spidertron.

Return to “Won't fix.”