[Klonan] [1.0.0] Scrap metal selectable in deconstruction planner

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Klonan] [1.0.0] Scrap metal selectable in deconstruction planner

Post by ickputzdirwech »

As you can see in the following picture you can select scrap meatal as a filter for the deconstruction planner, even though you can't get it outside the editor.
scrap metal.png
scrap metal.png (100.08 KiB) Viewed 11347 times
Also a side note since I am pretty sure you won't consider it a bug: The window fills the whole screen and has a huge scrol bar because Merging Chests adds tons of entities. I understand that it makes things easier if all tabs have the same size, but it seems a bit excessive in this case.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.0.0] Scrap metal selectable in deconstruction planner

Post by Klonan »

Thanks for the report

I will just remove that entity, as it is not used in the base game and is just reusing the graphics of the other shipwreck parts

Hanakocz
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [Klonan] [1.0.0] Scrap metal selectable in deconstruction planner

Post by Hanakocz »

Hello, I found out this silently planned change quite late (with the upcoming changes post viewtopic.php?p=518171#p518171), but hopefully still not late enough. Can you please not remove this entity? It is used in hundreds of custom maps, as it is the only entity from wreckage spectrum that is actually mineable and thus has gameplay value. I agree it should be removed from the deconstruction planner, similarly as other entities aren't there (loaders for example), but removing it from the game completely and leaving just useless other entity that is just decoration won't add to the game. Will you remove markets next because they are not used in freeplay? :(

Thanks for consideration.

MewMew
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MewMew »

Please do not remove the 'mineable wreckage' entity.
It will break many existing scenarios. Does not feel nice :(
Map creators like having a few "useless" entities.
Last edited by MewMew on Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JaminRoyale
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JaminRoyale »

Please save scrap!!

Mountain fortress will never be the same without it :(

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Just because the base game removes an item does not mean that the modders would not be able to put it back in. Don't worry, the mods will be fine ;-)
Speaking of which:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/MineableWreckage

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

valneq wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:05 pm
Just because the base game removes an item does not mean that the modders would not be able to put it back in. Don't worry, the mods will be fine ;-)
Speaking of which:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/MineableWreckage
Scenarios are not mods and will not "be fine" - they can not add prototypes. But if this change convinces even a single steam-achievement- or vanilla-only-zealot to use mods then i'm all for it :twisted:. But if i were Wube and were concerned about the next big shitstorm i'd be pulling back that change yesterday.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Gabreski
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Gabreski »

Dont remove scrap, its vital for comfy maps. If scrap is modded back in, people will start avoiding comfy because it will have mods and people hate waiting for them to load (for some stupid reason) and most of them surely have such servers blacklisted in search tab.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

@Klonan: no please don't remove this entity. It will break allmost all the Redmew scenarios. In fact, if anything, add more hidden but usable entities to use for unmodded scenarios.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

The scap is a legacy stuff for us, and we need to remove legacy stuff, otherwise there would be a lot of old mess in the game. The mod can easily add the entities for itself.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

kovarex wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:09 pm
The scap is a legacy stuff for us, and we need to remove legacy stuff, otherwise there would be a lot of old mess in the game. The mod can easily add the entities for itself.
Understandable, however the complaint is that it is frequently used in scenarios which cannot add it back in, not that it is hard to add back in.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Stupid question: How is this old scrap metal different from the new scrap metal "Ship wreck small" that was added in 1.0.0? The new stuff looks so much better anyways.

Hanakocz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hanakocz »

valneq wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:13 pm
Stupid question: How is this old scrap metal different from the new scrap metal "Ship wreck small" that was added in 1.0.0? The new stuff looks so much better anyways.
Old scrap: 9 graphic variants, it is one SIMPLE ENTITY (so no force, basically on par with trees and rocks, actually also has default drop when mined), it actually has mining animation. Old shipwrecks are containers.

New scrap: Medium, large and huge shipwrecks are again containers. Small one has 6 different entities, that have force and probably more data. No mining animation.

Sure, the new models look fancier, but that's it. They look fancy when placed like 1 - 2 around big shipwreck but not when spawning fields of them. Old models were just small parts of random scrap, so spawning many of them did not looked bad, they fit with each other. However new one does not look good at all in large amounts, repetitive details, and so on. New ones having more information than Simple Entity probably can cause some serious filesize or update time impact, when used in same way as with the old ones (imagine if all trees had additional data stored and you wanted to play forest map).

But well, we always had to work with what we had. Probably still better to hope for fix to other scenario issues, for example locale not working with render texts after loading the game from savefile, and similar.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Hanakocz wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:07 pm
Probably still better to hope for fix to other scenario issues, for example locale not working with render texts after loading the game from savefile, and similar.
According to 84696 that should be fixed. If that is not the case, please make another bug report.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Hanakocz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hanakocz »

Bilka wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:14 pm
Hanakocz wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:07 pm
Probably still better to hope for fix to other scenario issues, for example locale not working with render texts after loading the game from savefile, and similar.
According to 84696 that should be fixed. If that is not the case, please make another bug report.
My bad, completely missed it as never got notification about response, and well...it was months and then somehow I even missed it in the patchnotes. Thank you for correcting me, probably really time to revisit my old plans.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”