First time advanced oil processing (ratio's ?)

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Norrak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

First time advanced oil processing (ratio's ?)

Post by Norrak »

Hi all,

It's my first time I get to advanced oil processing, and I am totally confused.

So I've set up my refinery, I added water and crude oil on the input (bot at 85 to 100% on the input) and I connected all 3 outputs to different storage tanks.
I select the advanced oil processing recipe (which says 55 petroleum gas, 45 light oil, 25 heavy oil) and what do I see in the output ?
my petroleum gas output is at 97 to 100 out of a 100
my light oil output is at 10 out of a 100
and my heavy oil output is at 2.5 out of a 100.

is this correct ? or what am I doing wrong ? my tanks for heavy and light oil won't even reach 1.000 out of 25k.
am I doing something wrong ?

Note : I haven't done anything with red wires yes

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: First time advanced oil processing (ratio's ?)

Post by Loewchen »

Post a screenshot of what you mean.

Norrak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Norrak »

Factorio no ouput.PNG
Factorio no ouput.PNG (1.65 MiB) Viewed 2052 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

That is a pipe with liquid in it, it does not tell you anything about your production ratio.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

The amount in the pipe is not the amount being produced, take a look at the wiki on pipes and fluids, it confuses all of us 8-) I don't see anything wrong with your set up, but as you said, you will want to look at the circuit network and cracking to keep things balanced.
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Norrak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Norrak »

Thanks for the answers. Seems I've interpreted the data I see wrong. I guess I just have to be a bit paitient to see the tanks fill up then.

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starlinvf »

Norrak wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:45 pm
Thanks for the answers. Seems I've interpreted the data I see wrong. I guess I just have to be a bit paitient to see the tanks fill up then.
Given the tanks have a capacity of 25k, and petroleum is produced at 11/s; the minimum wait is gonna be 40 minutes no matter what. Effectively higher, since pipe segments also have a capacity that get added to the equation. Which is why, among other reasons, people typically have Pumps on the intake side of tanks. And for what its worth, in more advanced calculations, the Tank is essentially a single pipe segment with 25k capacity, instead of the usual 100.

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

Norrak wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:05 pm
my petroleum gas output is at 97 to 100 out of a 100
my light oil output is at 10 out of a 100
and my heavy oil output is at 2.5 out of a 100.
So you are almost full of petroleum gas. Do you have storage tanks for petroleum gas? Are they full?

Keep in mind that if ANY of the three outputs becomes completely full then Advanced Oil Processing will completely stop. So you'll need something to consume the petroleum gas. If you don't have anything consuming petroleum gas right now then you may some of it into solid fuel if you want to keep Advanced Oil Processing going. Still, it's more useful to convert the petroleum gas into plastic and advanced circuits (you'll need a ton of those).

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Yoyobuae wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:12 pm
So you'll need something to consume the petroleum gas.
Only if you need more lubricant or solid/rocket fuel. That can certainly be the case. But it can also be fine to be backed up on petroleum. Depends on the factory setup.
Personally I tend to produce rocket fuel with a dedicated setup that also turns petroleum into solid fuel. It's not the most efficient way, but it ensures that it will always run. And crude oil isn't really that rare anymore, so some waste like that isn't the end of the world.

@Norrak
You also need to set up oil cracking in addition to the refineries. Heavy oil can be cracked into light oil and light oil can be cracked into petroleum. This needs to be controlled by circuit switched pumps. Have pumps on the input side of the cracking plants and connect them to a single storage tank. Then you can crack the heavy oil when you have enough lubricant and you can crack light oil if you have enough of it.
If you don't do that (or something similar) you will always back up on some of the other oil products as you just don't consume things in perfect ratios.

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

Serenity wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:10 pm
Only if you need more lubricant or solid/rocket fuel.
If neither lubricant nor solid/rocket fuel are needed then the solution is very simple: Use Basic Oil Processing.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Yoyobuae wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:46 am
Serenity wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:10 pm
Only if you need more lubricant or solid/rocket fuel.
If neither lubricant nor solid/rocket fuel are needed then the solution is very simple: Use Basic Oil Processing.
Basic Oil Processing is a waste of oil, better use Advanced Oil Processing, if oil is rare.

Return to “Gameplay Help”