Products at place A, B, C. I wanna build sth -> run to A, B, C - is that part of gameplay?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
SirHannes
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Products at place A, B, C. I wanna build sth -> run to A, B, C - is that part of gameplay?

Post by SirHannes »

Hi,

having so many belts and product chains, I am wondering about this simple thing: isn't there a center, where all stuff can go to? And when I want to build an updated building, or anything else I need this, this and that, I just go to ONE place and pick it up to build it.

Not to run to place A to get iron, run to place B to get this y item, run to place C to get that item. And in between finding a belt transporting batteries and I use "F" to catch some of then - oh but wait also on the belt was a 2nd item and pressing F I was 2 mm to close having now items I don't want ... aaah.

Is this part of the gameplay or I am just dumb? :D
How do you organize all these items together, on one single spot (20 chests dedicated to 20 items) ?
When I ask for features or improvements, it's because I like this game and I think, others could like it too.

ming.yuan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Products at place A, B, C. I wanna build sth -> run to A, B, C - is that part of gameplay?

Post by ming.yuan »

The most common solution people use is main BUS.
Main bus consists of a few key ingredients which are most widely used and put them through high speed belts to go through the entire base, or wherever you expand to.
Every now and then you need to draw raw materials, you refer to the main bus. Since the main bus is always there, you are never far away from raw materials.
Of course there are other play style, like distributed bases rather than highly centralised base.
It is all about preference. If you hate running around, main BUS is worth trying for you.
Or you can just use a run speed mod or even teleport mod so that travel is not an issue for you.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Products at place A, B, C. I wanna build sth -> run to A, B, C - is that part of gameplay?

Post by Serenity »

Putting stuff into chests and manually inserting it elsewhere all the time is more something for speed running. Or certain very low volume items that you won't produce constantly.

It's what you do during the burner phase with smelting. Or your first science and small production setups. It's perfectly fine to have a chest and put in some copper and iron plates now and then. But beyond that you're really supposed to use automate the transport chains

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

SirHannes wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:20 am
And in between finding a belt transporting batteries and I use "F" to catch some of then - oh but wait also on the belt was a 2nd item and pressing F I was 2 mm to close having now items I don't want ... aaah.
Build a mall.
The video is outdated, but it shows the general pattern. Same author is currently doing a 1.0 from start to megabase walkthrough you might also be interested in...

SirHannes
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SirHannes »

Oktokolo wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:36 am
SirHannes wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:20 am
And in between finding a belt transporting batteries and I use "F" to catch some of then - oh but wait also on the belt was a 2nd item and pressing F I was 2 mm to close having now items I don't want ... aaah.
Build a mall.
The video is outdated, but it shows the general pattern. Same author is currently doing a 1.0 from start to megabase walkthrough you might also be interested in...
Okay, this makes sense, will keep that in mind.

Still, she is working with chests, placing item into it. And when needed, she has to return to that place and pick them up manually.
So there's no gimmick/ work around like these flying robots?

Also I think, it's for gamers who succeed at least one full round, escaping with the rocket, knowing about all the connections between items.
Last edited by SirHannes on Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I ask for features or improvements, it's because I like this game and I think, others could like it too.

SirHannes
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SirHannes »

Thank you others too, for your opinion. I appreciate :-)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

When you have robots you change chests to logistical ones and order stuff to be delivered to player inventory.
Alternatively you keep stuff in chests and order bots to build they will take it from there.

Return to “Gameplay Help”