Information about releases and roadmap.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by kovarex »

RoadRunner71 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:47 am
I must be missing something with this update. I want my blueprints to STAY in the blueprint book when I want to use some of the blueprints. I do NOT like that it REMOVES the blueprint from the book if you pull it into your inventory. Is there some way I can FORCE the blueprint to STAY in the blueprint book? I tried using the copy button, C. But that just copies the ENTIRE blueprint book. I don't WANT the entire blueprint book. If I did, I'd just copy that. Why did you change this? It worked just fine before. And it MADE SENSE. This makes no sense to me. If I take a blueprint out to use it then delete it like I normally do, it's just GONE. I can see NO reason to do what you did, here. Please put it back the way it was. That was much simpler to use and I didn't have to worry about deleting a blueprint by mistake. With this update, I've had to go back and recreate several blueprints because I didn't realize that it REMOVED them from the book if I put them in my inventory. It has NEVER done this before. So why do this? Why do you insist on there only being one copy of a blueprint, now? It existed in both places before. I would very much like it if you undid this change. I absolutely do NOT like this change.

I also picked up a blueprint book by accident (instead of opening it) and when I dropped it back, it put it at the end of the list of blueprint books. And I can't move it back to where it was which were in alphabetical order. Why? This is a trivial thing to do in a linked list. So why did you take away our ability to put any blueprint or book in any position? I may eventually get to the point where some of the changes you made are useful to me (most are not, at the moment). But why take away functionality that used to be there AND add functionality that makes using blueprints the way we used to dangerous. Now unless you remember to put the blueprint BACK into the book, it's just gone from the blueprint book. What possible reason could you have for doing that? I certainly can't think of one.

Why make such a fundamental change that the blueprints now only exist either in the book or in your inventory but not both? I see no advantage to doing that. That's why I say I must be missing something. IS there a way to COPY a blueprint from the book into your inventory so when you remove it from your inventory it's not just gone completely? Why would you do that? Why was that a good idea? Did someone actually ask for that? Again, why?

Also, one of the blueprints I had in my inventory, I did something (I don't recall exactly what I did, I think I just shift left-clicked on it) and it was just gone. Not in my trash and not in my inventory. Where did it go? I wasn't in range of my bot network. So, I know it wasn't taken from the trash immediately. It's just gone. And I have no idea, really, what happened to it.

Many, if not most of the changes you make I like or at least don't care about because they don't affect me negatively. And some of the changes you've made I've absolutely loved. But not the change that a blueprint only exists in the book or in your inventory. You've made it FAR too easy to just lose blueprints and books with this update. I even lost an entire blueprint book because I pulled it into my inventory and then removed it. I only noticed later that it wasn't in my blueprints AT ALL anymore. 18 blueprints just gone. And since they were starter base blueprints and I've removed the starter base, I will have to remake them completely from scratch. This change has affected me very negatively and it made me so angry when I lost several blueprints and even an entire blueprint book permanently because of this change that I just rage quit the game. Now, I'm almost afraid to use blueprints not knowing what other bombs you've hidden in there. To say I'm not a happy camper, right now, would be a giant understatement.
You can obviously just copy only the one blueprint. But the bigger question is, why do you have this workflow of making copies of blueprints and putting them into your inventory and deleting them soon after. Isn't it just a habit from the times, where you couldn't use them directly from the BP library through manual selection or quickbar?

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

kovarex wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:27 pm
why do you have this workflow of making copies of blueprints and putting them into your inventory and deleting them soon after. Isn't it just a habit from the times, where you couldn't use them directly from the BP library through manual selection or quickbar?
Two reasons I copy BPs: the first and major is because the mods that let you flip/mirror BPs don't work with library blueprints, they only work with blueprints you have in your inventory. Fix that (either make it possible for mods to work with lib BPs as they can with "physical" BPs, or, even better, *FINALLY* implement flipping in the game proper)

Secondly, "manual selection" is a mess when you have a ton of BPs (and why wouldn't you), *especially* since the library window *ALWAYS* opens at the top, it doesn't remember the scroll position (should really be an easy fix and would improve things a lot). And the quickbar is limited (not too much, but… I usually want to put only stuff on it that I need *often*… now, alternatively I can use BPs from my inventory or from the library. The library requires scrolling, the inventory doesn't…)

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Jürgen Erhard wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:14 am
kovarex wrote:
why do you have this workflow of making copies of blueprints and putting them into your inventory and deleting them soon after. Isn't it just a habit from the times, where you couldn't use them directly from the BP library through manual selection or quickbar?
Two reasons I copy BPs: the first and major is because the mods that let you flip/mirror BPs don't work with library blueprints, they only work with blueprints you have in your inventory. Fix that (either make it possible for mods to work with lib BPs as they can with "physical" BPs, or, even better, *FINALLY* implement flipping in the game proper)

Secondly, "manual selection" is a mess when you have a ton of BPs (and why wouldn't you), *especially* since the library window *ALWAYS* opens at the top, it doesn't remember the scroll position (should really be an easy fix and would improve things a lot). And the quickbar is limited (not too much, but… I usually want to put only stuff on it that I need *often*… now, alternatively I can use BPs from my inventory or from the library. The library requires scrolling, the inventory doesn't…)
to 1.) Just copy the blueprint with the copy-button.
to 2.) saving scroll position and/or which blueprint book is opened, would be nice.
I organize my blueprints in books in library and link each book to a quickbar slot. Right click on the quickbar link opens the book in library and you can select the desired blueprint. Or select the entire book and scroll through them.

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

jodokus31 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:36 pm
Jürgen Erhard wrote:
kovarex wrote:

to 2.) saving scroll position and/or which blueprint book is opened, would be nice.
I organize my blueprints in books in library and link each book to a quickbar slot. Right click on the quickbar link opens the book in library and you can select the desired blueprint. Or select the entire book and scroll through them.
To 1.: "I copy BPs", yes, "just", and "with the copy-button".

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Jürgen Erhard wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:55 am
jodokus31 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:36 pm
Jürgen Erhard wrote:
kovarex wrote:

To 1.: "I copy BPs", yes, "just", and "with the copy-button".
Well, fine then. Sounded somehow, that you still expect BPs to be copied by dragging them to inventory.

Return to “Releases”