Adding, changing and removing modules by robots

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Fefi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Adding, changing and removing modules by robots

Post by Fefi »

In the meantime so much is possible in Factorio, but unfortunately it is not possible to update or change modules in factories. Does this have a technical background?

Fefi

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Adding, changing and removing modules by robots

Post by Serenity »

Fefi wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:11 pm
Does this have a technical background?
No. It's available as a mod. It's a design decision.

The upgrade planner has some limited functionality for it though. You can't insert modules into empty machines, but you can upgrade them

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Serenity wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:33 pm
It's a design decision.
No it's not. It's just difficult to make a decent ui for it etc. Was mentioned in FFF i think.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

eradicator wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:05 pm
No it's not. It's just difficult to make a decent ui for it etc.
That still makes it a design decision

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Serenity wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:10 pm
eradicator wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:05 pm
No it's not. It's just difficult to make a decent ui for it etc.
That still makes it a design decision
owl.jpg
owl.jpg (2.3 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

moved out of frequently suggested — ssilk

Simple question: why should wube make something if there is a perfect functioning and fully integrated mod, with a maintainer, that likes to do it. Wube will take that person the fun away without good reason. Bad idea to make supporting people eventually angry.

And what would change, if that is in vanilla (besides that it is in vanilla)?

Use Choumiko’s mod, it’s really good. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:24 am
Simple question: why should wube make something if there is a perfect functioning and fully integrated mod, with a maintainer, that likes to do it. Wube will take that person the fun away without good reason. Bad idea to make supporting people eventually angry.
The priority should be for Wube to make the game feel complete. If the game feels incomplete without a feature, then the best way to add it would be in vanilla, not via mods.
Your stance often seems to be : if it can be modded, it shouldn't be in vanilla.
My stance is : if it makes sense to have it in vanilla, it shouldn't have to be modded in.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Koub wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:01 am
Your stance often seems to be : if it can be modded, it shouldn't be in vanilla.
No, that post above describes Wube’s position, from what I think it might be.

(My own position is: use mods to bring it into vanilla. If it can be made as mod, try it out as mod first, if it really is a good idea. Improve the idea in a mod, until it’s clear what really makes sense. Raw balancing etc. can be made also in a mod much faster. Developer resources at wube should be used economically.)

And some numbers to underline my thoughts about wube’s position (as long as there is a mod, and a good maintainer and not so much requests, why change?): when you look at the top downloaded mods you find resource spawner overhaul. Over a million downloads. Obviously useful. Why isn’t it in vanilla? Could be made much, much faster. Well, I think because there is a good maintainer and it brings the gameplay in some difficulty position.

Bobs mod. Angels mod. Nothing to say. Obviously a need. But it makes sense in vanilla? Quite questionable.

Bottleneck. Well, they begun to add lights to the top of the devices.

Squeak through: would be simple, lots of suggestions about it. But it changes a lot of subversive gameplay.

LTN. That is difficult to bring into vanilla. One of those mods, that make sense as mod not to be in vanilla and I’m nearly sure if you ask Optera also wouldn’t want it.

Raillayer. As mod since 0.13! So useful, so much fun. But why should that change? As long as Choumiko is actively supporting it?

And so on. I could continue for pages about mods that would be really simple to implement into vanilla and have lots of suggestions but haven’t been implemented into vanilla.

I have mods that I use since years, which is a sign that they should be in vanilla. Auto deconstruct for example.

I remember, there where popular mods, like the personal roboport, which was first a mod. But in that case I think it was mainly because the mod was always too slow, it had too much limitations. And the usefulness for the gameplay was so obvious. Here and there mods are implemented into vanilla. But mainly because they bring the gameplay forward, or when the mod has no supporter anymore and there are many requests. Sorry, but I haven’t an example in mind.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”