Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Pi-C »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:46 pm
I feel like this is very off topic. It fits better in modding help.
Sorry, you're right! It has happened to me before, and it certainly will happen again, that I don't know what subforum I'm in. I always look for "New posts", and usually I just notice the thread title, not where the thread has been posted. "Simple Questions and Short Answers" seemed the appropriate place for a simple question to which I expected just a short answer. But of course, as the thread is filed under "Gameplay help", my simple question really doesn't belong here. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

Well no big deal. Just wanted to point that out before it derails completely.
Pi-C wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:58 pm
It has happened to me before, and it certainly will happen again, that I don't know what subforum I'm in.
I can very much relate to that. :lol:
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

In_Rust_I_Trust
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by In_Rust_I_Trust »

Regarding oil production, how does the pumpjack work? I don't want to waste production.

The mining machines stop producing ore when there's no space on the belt to place the output. An idle machine also consumes less power.

I'm a bit concerned that my pumpjacks are essentially just constantly pumping oil out and that if I'm not using it at just the right rate that I'm wasting it all. There's also some confusion regarding pumps in my setup, but that's the kind of thing that's covered in tutorials. I did a search or two for the specifics of how the pumpjacks work, but didn't see any leads that looked promising.

If my storage tanks for crude oil are full, and my oil refinery is working at maximum capacity, then will the pumpjacks keep producing oil and wasting it if it has nowhere to go?

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

In_Rust_I_Trust wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:03 am
If my storage tanks for crude oil are full, and my oil refinery is working at maximum capacity, then will the pumpjacks keep producing oil and wasting it if it has nowhere to go?
No. Don’t worry. Pumpjacks will just stop producing if the pipes in front of them are full. Just like mining drills with full belts.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

In_Rust_I_Trust wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:03 am
will the pumpjacks keep producing oil and wasting it if it has nowhere to go?
Fluids backing up and stopping production is a key characteristic of the fluid system

In_Rust_I_Trust
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by In_Rust_I_Trust »

My worry is that I read that the oil patch yield gets degraded for ever 300 pump cycles, and I didn't see the pumpjacks stop pumping at any time.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

In_Rust_I_Trust wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:46 pm
My worry is that I read that the oil patch yield gets degraded for ever 300 pump cycles, and I didn't see the pumpjacks stop pumping at any time.
They should stop pumping when they don't have room for their output. You can use the "fluid" tab from the production statistic( pressing P) to have an idea of how much crude oil you produce, and consume. Then compare it with the amount of storage you have it could give you an estimated time, or at least let you know if the storage are filling up or being emptied .

Pumpjacks will have lower ouput over time but the game is telling you the current rate, if it says 14.6/s on a pumpjack now, maybe in a few hours it will say 12.5/s , and later 5/s. You can track their depletion individually this way and have an idea of the rate at which it happens.

Also the total yield of the patch , the one you can read when you are in map view, this one is updated so you can compare with the original yield providing you write it down somewhere like in the map view or in a constant combinator :)

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

My first oil patch, or any patch where I am planning on using the oil without training it in, I sum the outputs of the pumpjacks before I put power poles in... and I divide the total output by 5. I plan on having that much crude per second only.

Since they drop down to 2/sec, or 20% of their initial, whichever is higher.

If I sum it up to 1465 crude/sec, I know that it will get down to 293 crude/sec and that determines how many refineries I can build.

When I am shipping the oil in from afar using trains I donor bother with this, as the trains create a natural supply/demand buffer. The refinery demands from the train station, and the train station demands from oil wells, of which there may be multiples made as supply on the first decreases.

Nemac
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nemac »

Hello,

i need some help fixing my nulcear stuff please, hope it is simple to fit here :)

This 3 turbines dont run.
Nuc1.jpg
Nuc1.jpg (790.51 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
When i add 3 more behind, they work. so i assume there is enough water ans steam?
Nuc2.jpg
Nuc2.jpg (856.15 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
any ideas and help? To many heaters? But why the 3 new turbines work?

Thank you

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Are they covered by that substation? They only run when power is drawn

Also, you don't need those straight pipes

Nemac
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nemac »

Serenity wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:09 pm
Are they covered by that substation? They only run when power is drawn

Also, you don't need those straight pipes
Nice, that was it

the turbines seems covered and had no yellow warning mark so I thought its fine.
Added some poles and it work now...

thank you.

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

the_gremlin wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:57 am
First time player, I have been playing on this world for about 7-8 hours and i cannot for the life of me find oil, i have like 4 radars set up, i have gotten in my car and run into random directions but i have yet to find anything the weirdest thing is that that i have an abundance of copper iron stone, coal and even uranium fairly close to my base but no oil at all. Should i just start a new world and hope that my luck is better or should i simply continue playing on this one?
Alongside Serenity and Astroshak, look for pink squares on the map/minimap. Those are the indicators for oil. In normal vision you're looking for black puddles on the ground(which, depending on the size of them, will either be by themselves or in groups of...probably up to 5-7).

Nemac
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nemac »

Hello :)

May i run Steam Engines after Steam Turbine or got they damaged because the steam is to hot?
steam.jpg
steam.jpg (39.8 KiB) Viewed 4140 times

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Nemac wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:07 pm
May i run Steam Engines after Steam Turbine or got they damaged because the steam is to hot?
You can run steam engines off 500C steam, but it is not advisable because for 30 steam/s consumption they produce 900kW where a steam turbine would produce ~2.9MW: "the energy that was put into the steam to heat it to a higher temperature is wasted" (https://wiki.factorio.com/Steam_engine).

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Im planning in mid game to configure a train line with attached large power poles, roboports, lights and red/green wires - is there a ideal setup?
A BP known to anyone?
If running vanilla - what possibilities exist to ram through wood with the help of the on board roboport?

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

brunzenstein wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:54 am
Im planning in mid game to configure a train line with attached large power poles, roboports, lights and red/green wires - is there a ideal setup?
A BP known to anyone?
If you're thinking of extending a logistic network by building roboports along your railway: it doesn't usually work very well. Logistic networks work best when kept self-contained, using other methods (usually trains) to move inputs/outputs between them.

Running power and circuit network along railway is very common though. I suggest viewforum.php?f=194 for ideas, blueprints, or to ask more specific questions.
brunzenstein wrote:
If running vanilla - what possibilities exist to ram through wood with the help of the on board roboport?
Holding shift while clicking to place items (eg rails) or a blueprint (eg containing rails) will place "ghosts" and also mark trees, rocks and cliffs that are in the way for deconstruction. With construction bots (and cliff explosives for cliffs) in your inventory, and personal roboport(s) in your modular armor, bots will head out to do this as well as placing the items.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

brunzenstein wrote:
Poison capsule or grenade are very good to clean large areas of trees without waiting for robots to carry the woods and then be force to store it.

You could also try to set a forest on fire it will get rid of a significant amount of trees by itself at the cost of much pollution and feeling like a monster.

Also nuke should do the trick, that's very costly for a few trees but is also somewhat satisfying :D

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

brunzenstein wrote:
A BP known to anyone?
First advice: Do not make a rail-spanning robot network. Even if you get super-deep into robot speed upgrades post-game, you'll still find them straggling in the wastelands between ports if you aren't careful. Any point before those post-game upgrades it's utterly worthless and a waste of resources.

Now, if you're looking for some mod-based help, I highly suggest both the FARL mod and Charcoal burner mod.

FARL is Fully Automated Rail Layer. Once you have some BPs made (whether your own or from SoShootMe's link), you can have the train "read" the BPs for a horizontal and diagonal rail by being in the FARL trian, opening settings, and with the BP in question in hand click the "read blueprint" button. Once you have both a horizontal and diagonal rail in the train, as well as cargo wagons for the required items and extra ones for the trees and rocks you run over--as FARL automatically bulldozes any trees and rocks you run into in about a 20-square radius (give or take, I've never read or tried to figure out the range).

Charcoal Burner is a good companion for this, as it makes perfect use of all that accumulated wood. At the beginning of the game you can automatically turn wood into coal coke which turns into coal, but later on wood can be turned directly into coal in chemical plants, and then coal can be turned into solid fuel as well. Plus, the byproduct of creosote oil can also be made into solid fuel (well, and a weak healing item), so nothing is wasted. You might want to use something like excess Petroleum/heavy oil to make solid fuel as well, but it also works as a good dump of wood (as mentioned) and excess coal if you have more than you need for Grey science or plastic.

Psy185
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Psy185 »

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the Braking Force research. I tried using a train speed mod, because I was interested in an increased maximum train speed (like maybe 400km/h instead of 300), but this mod was really overpowered. IIRC it gave me something like 3000 km/h and instant Braking Force. After a day I decided to uninstall the mod, but the braking force is still the same. I even tried unresearching and re-researching the highest vanilla braking force, without success. Then I reinstalled the mod and unresearched all the modded braking force researches, but also no success.

This instant train stopping really looks unrealistic and also the gates on my rails break all the time, which is related to the same issue I think?!

Does anyone know how to reset the braking force completly or how to reduce it manually with a command?

Any help is appreciated.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Psy185 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:25 am
I tried using a train speed mod, because I was interested in an increased maximum train speed (like maybe 400km/h instead of 300), but this mod was really overpowered. IIRC it gave me something like 3000 km/h and instant Braking Force.
Does anyone know how to reset the braking force completly or how to reduce it manually with a command?
I'm not sure why unresearching didn't work but you should be able to set braking force bonus to what you get from the standard researches (up to and including Braking force 7) with:

Code: Select all

/c game.player.force.train_braking_force_bonus = 1

Return to “Gameplay Help”