Nauvis Post Collapse 2.0 will incorporate and build on SE // Discord Server:https://discord.gg/NTJF88UWhC

This is the place to share custom user maps, scenarios, and campaigns.
lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Nauvis Post Collapse 2.0 will incorporate and build on SE // Discord Server:https://discord.gg/NTJF88UWhC

Post by lilstrip »

Official Nauvis Post Collapse Discord Server
https://discord.gg/NTJF88UWhC

Old info below. Join the discord server if you wanna see us working on this live :)
New Update

Started working on the map again as a way to relax from time to time. Progress will happen but it'll be slower than what it used to be like in the past. As this new version will incorporate everything, well most of the things I initially planned it will be released differently. This time around there will be a version where nothing is functionnal and everything factory wise has been mostly damaged and one where stuff is already running so the player can have fun expanding upon all the built stuff. As far as the new ruins go I wont go back to change the original map so just pretend they were already there before even though they weren't.

Old stuff below. Read if you want.
==================================================================================================
Initially I planned on leaving the map as is but with the Covid 19 pandemic a lot of things have changed... Some bad, some good but most things are just different. That said I now have a lot more free time and with this I am able to focus a lot more on my hobbies. So with that said, there are a lot of things I actually rushed in the currently released version of the map. I am still proud of what I initially made but as far as the gameplay goes there isnt much offered in the original map.

This is the reason why I started working on a new version. This new version will hopefully bring a LOT more content for those who were hoping to have some loot or functionnal things. The other major addition in the new version will be additionnal areas outside the original map. Sadly this does mean that this map will require more RAM but by the time this new version will be out (I am aiming for 2 years from now realistically) more people will have the required RAM to enjoy the map.

Now there is a feature I would really love to add to the map which I have no idea how it can be done and that would be to add underground surfaces with the exact same scripts as the scenario diggy. I will need help to make this possible and if someone could raise their hand and reply to this thread it would be wonderful! I've been playing a lot of underrail lately and I really want to add something similar to the underbelly of the city.

I will be posting pics for those who are curious about the new stuff added but for the most part I will be keeping this spoiler free. With all the experience I gained with the map editor and the release of the initial map I am very comfortable with making nice custom biomes that will be very distinct from anything you would be able to find normally. I will be working a lot on making insanely long train networks that will be fully functionnal with the intent of creating a very different feel within the game. There are already ruins present on the map which speak plenty enough about the horrific fate of the initial colonists but this new version will bring a sense of isolation/frontier since most of the additions will be facilities of great importance. All of these new facilities will be already setup and functionnal and every single one of them will serve purposes of mass production. I wont really explain my whole vision yet as I will show images over the summer and post updates from time to time.

The last thing I want to mention right now is that since this is the last version of factorio this means I can finally introduce mods to the map. There wont be that many but each single one of them will help make this map gameplay compelling. The other different thing I will do with Nauvis New Frontier is that there will be two versions: one where everything is functionnal for freeplay and the other will be a ''griefed'' version of the save. This will be explained in a short story for those curious as to why I am changing this drastically.

Hopefully this will make some people happy but honestly you will have to be patient with this one. A lot of things are subject to change and this may be cancelled in the future as I am not living off of this and it is quite a big project and it is not a life priority. The main reason I am doing this is because there really isn't anything quite like it and the very imperfect initial release made quite a lot of people very happy.
Last edited by lilstrip on Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:35 am, edited 50 times in total.

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Nauvis New Frontier (Nauvis Post Collapse Version 2.0 W.I.P)

Post by lilstrip »

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Nauvis New Frontier (Nauvis Post Collapse Version 2.0 W.I.P SPOILERS)

Post by lilstrip »

This is just one of the rail branches that will spread outside the original map. Expect long train trips with nice scenery :)

One thing I forgot to mention is that there wont be any natural ressource patches in the original map. The quarries that were left behind will be the only easily accessible ressource patches either the late or early game depending on the save version you as the player will choose. In case those run out (which would be suprising given how generous I am) the possibility of venturing further outside the created map will remain a possibility for those who plan on building mega bases. The richness of each patch outside quarries will be very low for balancing purposes but given the fact this will be modded the possibility of changing the terrain generation settings will be available.
Last edited by lilstrip on Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

kmack413
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kmack413 »

I'd love to help you wherever I can. Your original map took me back to my first experience with the free demo of Factorio...the very thing that sold me on the game was the discovery. While their's was a guided discovery with all the scripting and benchmarks, yours is open freeplay. Any body can blow up biters and build a base that eventually lobs a rocket into space, but to figure out how to fit a functioning base into (or restore the existing) base inside a ruined city absolutely hooked me back into Factorio again. I had gotten burned out building a 15k spm megabase--it was all just a numbers game. Nauvis Post Apocalypse brought me back to Factorio. My opinion: this is much closer to what the game should be.

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

yeah honestly I don't know if I will be able to keep working on the map. I should be getting a job IRL and I am trying to start a company despite all this volatility so the map is really far back on the backburner currently. I have everything setup in a server I made to document most of the map making stuff. Ill send you the link to it in a PM as I don't want to have randos coming in flooding the chat with random stuff :P

IGNORE THIS MESSAGE

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

New Update

Turns out this probably could happen after I was contacted by this very kind fellow and we are looking at the possibility of possibly making this new version official by possibly doing a commission/contract with the factorio team. Since doing a new version would mean remaking a lot of the content on the map and adapt it for both users with more ram and those with not enough on top of mini scenarios the only realistic way I could make this happen is if we both get payed for spending this much time on the new version.

If this does happen the story would now not really fit with the first ''prototype'' and the other thing to be noted is that there would be a deadline in mind with a schedule to keep folks in the loop. Making the map official though would mean that a lot of content and progress wont be released from now on as to keep people spoiler free.

So in the mean time, as long as the factorio team doesn't answer us and if we won't get contracted by them for such a large project sadly it wont be viable to work on a possibly 1000h-2000h project on top of focusing on my college and all the extra goodies life has to offer to make life complicated :)

If you guys want to see a much better of this map reworked and greatly improved with things such as the old new dawn campaign possibly added to some new areas to fit them in this entire map then feel free to leave a comment down here since this could make a big difference when it comes to convincing the devs. This would be 99% likely a free addition to the game for everyone to access but I am hoping this could also be a small paid dlc considering the work needed to make this happen, thinking 2-5$ max here depending on what could be settled. Ideally if this does happen every idea that would be a nice addition will hopefully be added to the map since my life-goal after this will be to officially move on unless this significantly opens up new doors and real life opportunities. The only real reason I came back to this is because Covid 19 crippled the industry I currently had contacts with so for the next year or 2 there isn't much I can do but wait for things to go back to normal.

I hope this makes some people happy but stay in the realistic mindset that there is the possibility the factorio team will turn this down. Its up to them, not me.

None of this would be happening if it wasnt for
KMack413 contacting me. He will be integral to the future of this project.

kmack413
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Nauvis New Frontier (Nauvis Post Collapse Version 2.0 UPDATE ON SITUATION

Post by kmack413 »

Hi all,
I'm honored to be invited into this incredible endeavor. I have many ideas for the future of this map/scenario and I think they would bring a great deal of value to the game and the Factorio community overall.

However...
I want to hear from all of you. I've read many responses to this map:
1. It's too large.
2. Way too many biters.
3. Indestructible enemies.
4. Unbalanced.

Please, to those of you who have actually played (or attempted to) this map, please leave comments here as to what you would like to see done with this amazing work and let's see where we can take it.

Here's a little food for thought:
1. Create a scaled-down version with a significantly smaller file size/memory requirement.
2. Create multiple versions with more/less biter infestations--to include no biters (or even a peaceful version).
3. Create versions that somewhat mimic some of the settings that you normally choose when creating a new Freeplay map.

After collecting as much of your thoughts on this, I will proceed to work on the map.

Thanks to all of you in advance!

TaylorItaly
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TaylorItaly »

Hello,

i played this scenario two times and the only thing that i don`t like , was the fact , that some stuff from the envirement was unremoveable.
( for example the rocket silos in the south )

I have 16 Gigabytes RAM and could play the map till endgame without problems.

So for my taste nothing must change except the unremoveable structures.

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

That was the whole Idea for the newer version which is to only add stuff and remove the clunky last minute "gameplay" tests xD

I don't know if this will happen anytime soon though since the whole idea would be to make it more official and get payed for all the work needed in order to make this consumer quality level but since there hasnt been a response from the dev and 1.0 dropped with an official story I think what might happen is that I might work on this from time to time when I feel like it and make it just a cut the corners to be realistic.

the whole map is sorta fleshed out so there's no real rush atm to get the map done. I might send the devs a new message to ask them if they are down to use this map but if they don't want to put energy into this ill release what is already planned out and casually work on this again from time to time.

The 2.0 version so far some mods to run and there are factories running on the map so the player can focus on actually building large facilities on the outskirts while the already urban areas serve as manufacturing facilities to help expand outside the main areas. There's also new fancy biome transitions that are fleshed out so thats also a thing to look forward to if you like exploration and world building :)

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

So it looks like the devs arent responding so eh, guess this wont be huge thing in the end.

So here is a very ROUGH drawing of what is being worked on:Image

really outdated map

I could put a legend to explain which color means what but really the only important one to know is brown which represents mountains while the blue color is obviously water. This is really not to scale btw since the train lines which are in red branching out are WAY longer than this.

The orange trapazoid on the right side of the image is there temporarily since we dont exactly know what will be over there but draconian essence suggested making an area that had a Red Alert vibe with uranium ore replacing the green crystals in that game so that might be a thing or we could do a combination of that and a tropical looking coastline with islands. Most of the stuff to the left is already done but all the detailing needs to be done.

I might update the whole thread yet again just to state that this is sorta dormant for now since college is starting again and I might have a job as a mechanic on top of that so I won't have much time or energy to work on something that doesnt bring any money on the table... plus we will have cyberpunk in November so yeah... xD
Last edited by lilstrip on Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Nauvis New Frontier (Nauvis Post Collapse Version 2.0 No response from the devs

Post by lilstrip »

The good news for some is that since this wont be a vanilla map there wont be a need for us to remove mods that add even more detailing to the map and functionality. This means the map will be a lot more interactive and freeplayish than it would have been if the devs decided to pick it up.

With that I will go do stuff because there is lots of stuff to be done :P

TaylorItaly
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Nauvis New Frontier (Nauvis Post Collapse Version 2.0 No response from the devs

Post by TaylorItaly »

I wish you all the best.

Do you have a paypal account, where one can spend you money?

Sadly with the 1.0 i am not longer able to load the scenario , but when i switch back to 0.17 all is fine...

Hetakin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hetakin »

I follow your work, hope you will be able to continue. A map with history and script would be really nice

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

we will setup a patreon page if one of my other buddies is down to join the project. He said he was interested with making custom sprites of ruined buildings we could put on the map.

I'll also wait to see how busy I will be with school but if I can find time to squeeze during weekends to work on this then I will start working on this a little bit every week :)

ciranhi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ciranhi »

Imagine my disappointment when I realized that Post Collapse won't load in 1.0. But wait -- it gets worse. I just (!) finished updating my PC and I finally have more, speedier RAM. *crying like a baby*

I hoped there was some simple fix to make it work, so I could see how it runs with my new hardware. I got excited when I read the top of this thread, then sad when I realized v2.0 is a ways out, if it happens at all. I so appreciate all the work which went into the original Post Collapse and played SO MANY hours of it. Please do share a Patreon/paypal/some-such if you're going forward with v2.0, because I'd *love* to see it.

I'm not sure if the poster who asked for likes/dislikes is still seeking input. I would say my most-loathed aspect of the scenario was the indestructible evil compilatron, and the indestructible biters/bases. Almost equally hated were the buildings/vehicles/etc. which couldn't be removed. I've never cheated so much in a single game! But I definitely became very good at it. :D My most-loved aspect was exploring a vast broken base and trying to figure out how to use the bits which were there already. Please tell me I'm not the only one who removed vehicles and filled cargo wagons with them as a way of delineating where I have been! Would be so cool to have a building to chuck them in and get parts back! ;)

If you have a suggestion for other (working!) maps/scenarios which you've enjoyed, please share. I came across Post Collapse thanks to a mention in FFF #308 and only stopped because it was taking so long to save the game -- and that was after setting autosaves to every 15 minutes! I'm seriously addicted to this map...

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

make it load in 0.17 then 0.18 and then update the game to 1.0. This should do the trick :)

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Nauvis New Frontier (Nauvis Post Collapse Version 2.0) Back on track

Post by lilstrip »

Just posting this to say that I am working on the map again from time to time and streamlining the map making process. It takes much less time to make newer additions since I am using the map editor to its full potential. The city is now around twice the size but most of these new ruins are reused stuff. It still looks suprisingly good despite the fact it is copied and pasted stuff but at this point I don't have time to hand draw each section.

Added a lot of other stuff that you guys will be able to enjoy eventually

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Nauvis New Frontier (Nauvis Post Collapse Version 2.0) Factory Goodies

Post by lilstrip »

little sneak peak of the cool new things added to the map:

Return to “Maps and Scenarios”