Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
biff_ccp
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by biff_ccp »

This is a stupid question, but it's bothering me.

In this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDvngZv ... 3h&index=2 at 14:13 Nilaus seems to use a pipette command to pickup ghosts for something that hasn't been researched or is in his inventory. It doesn't look like a normal copy command.

What command is he using to "hold" something that is not in his inventory? My game just gives me a "burb" sound when I try to do this when I press "Q".

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

its a setting here (in settings)
ghost selection settings.png
ghost selection settings.png (350.34 KiB) Viewed 4286 times

biff_ccp
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by biff_ccp »

disentius wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:07 pm
its a setting here (in settings)
That was it! Thank you very much, disentius.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

I was killed in a far away spider nest and respawned in the middle of my factory - where and how do I find my body to get the items back?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

brunzenstein wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:03 pm
I was killed in a far away spider nest and respawned in the middle of my factory - where and how do I find my body to get the items back?
It's in the faraway spider nest and has 15 minutes timer before it dissapears.

Feuermagier
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Feuermagier »

Can I use portable solar panels in my power armor and still get the "Steam all the Way" achievement?

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

yes.

Sshazam
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sshazam »

How do I use loaders to load items from a belt into a chest? I can't seem to get it to work. I know it's not in freeplay but I do a lot of testing and general messing around with the editor and would like to know how to make it work for that reason. Screenshot:
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_2.png (78.73 KiB) Viewed 4179 times

biff_ccp
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by biff_ccp »

Sshazam, I just recently discovers the existence of infinity boxes, so I’m no expert. But could that be the problem? Your setup looks correct to me except the type of box. Have you tried a normal box?

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

Sshazam wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:20 am
How do I use loaders to load items from a belt into a chest?
You can switch them between load/unload mode by pressing R while you have the mouse cursor over them. Do note that the belt side of the loader remains in the same position, so you may need to pick up the loader first, rotate it before placing and then switch it's direction after it's been placed.

san
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by san »

Sshazam wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:20 am
How do I use loaders to load items from a belt into a chest? I can't seem to get it to work. I know it's not in freeplay but I do a lot of testing and general messing around with the editor and would like to know how to make it work for that reason.
additionally to what Yoyobuae said, check the top loader is facing the wrong direction, you have to rotate it before you place it.
notice the small belt part on the loader, that part has to face away from the chest, assembly machine, ...

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Loader entities are basically half inserters, half belt.

You need to make sure that the belt half is hooked up, like a belt, to whatever belt is feeding it or that it is feeding. In other words, you want the belt half away from whatever machine you’re loading/unloading.

Then, the arrows in the graphics tell you which way it is sending items, either from the machine to the belt, or from the belt to the machine.

the_gremlin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by the_gremlin »

First time player, I have been playing on this world for about 7-8 hours and i cannot for the life of me find oil, i have like 4 radars set up, i have gotten in my car and run into random directions but i have yet to find anything the weirdest thing is that that i have an abundance of copper iron stone, coal and even uranium fairly close to my base but no oil at all. Should i just start a new world and hope that my luck is better or should i simply continue playing on this one?
The Factory must GROW

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

the_gremlin wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:57 am
Should i just start a new world and hope that my luck is better or should i simply continue playing on this one?
How far did you really go? Newbies sometimes underestimate the distances involved. Did you just explore strips in one or two directions or really uncovered a square around the base? There should be oil somewhere, but if you're unlucky it can be a bit away. And maybe you got really unlucky and it's truly far. Impossible to say

Generally it helps to pay attention to it during map generation and pick a map where you have oil within the preview area.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

the_gremlin wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:57 am
First time player, I have been playing on this world for about 7-8 hours and i cannot for the life of me find oil, i have like 4 radars set up, i have gotten in my car and run into random directions but i have yet to find anything the weirdest thing is that that i have an abundance of copper iron stone, coal and even uranium fairly close to my base but no oil at all. Should i just start a new world and hope that my luck is better or should i simply continue playing on this one?
Four radars set up is not really all that much space. I’m not sure if you noticed, but in the minimap on screen when placing the radar, you could see it tinged blue, and that would tell you when your radar coverage was contiguous, or overlapping, or just right. Assuming you set them up as just right, their active scan area is exactly the initially revealed area of the map.

My advice to you would be to build 12 more radars (16 or 20 if you want to double or triple up at corners, for faster reveal). Build them out from the starting point so that, combined with the four you already have, you have a four by four grid of radars, not overlapping, but no space in between that is not actively scanned. Put a few radars at the four corners of this square to speed things up, if desired.

Then just let it run until you’ve uncovered everything that they are going to uncover. You’ll reveal a lot more of the map this way, including whether or not there is oil close enough to be useful. Bear in mind, you might have to take advantage of another Red+Green technology set to make use of the oil you find : trains are awesome at transporting stuff longer distances.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

I'm a bit confused about mod dependencies. Apparently, something like this doesn't work:

Code: Select all

"dependencies": [ "! Broken_mod == 1.0.0" ]
Neither does

"dependencies": [ "! Broken_mod = 1.0.0" ]

My plan was to conflict with just the one mod version that's totally broken, so that the mod would work again once the author has uploaded a fixed release. After fixing the bug locally and bumping its version number, there still is a conflict with my mod, so I guess conflicts don't allow for version checks. Can anybody confirm that, or is there something else wrong?
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Can't confirm or deny (wiki looks like deny). But why don't you just

"dependencies": [ "Broken_mod < 1.0.0", "Broken_mod > 1.0.0" ]
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

eradicator wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:50 am
Can't confirm or deny (wiki looks like deny). But why don't you just

"dependencies": [ "Broken_mod < 1.0.0", "Broken_mod > 1.0.0" ]
The easiest thing would be to add

[ "? Broken_mod > 1.0.0" ]
But it's impossible in this case: The other mod already has a dependency on mine, so that would result in a circular dependency. The way it is, it must depend on mine in order to guarantee that my entities already exist. There are other ways to make sure of that, but I don't want to force a novice modder to rewrite the complete code. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

Pi-C wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:13 am
I'm a bit confused about mod dependencies.
I feel like this is very off topic. It fits better in modding help.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:46 pm
Pi-C wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:13 am
I'm a bit confused about mod dependencies.
I feel like this is very off topic. It fits better in modding help.
Sometimes, things just evolve of their own. I've posted my question (basically "I want to do X, it doesn't seem to work -- is that a known limitation?") hoping to get a short "yes" or "no", so it did seem appropriate to post it here. Didn't know that it would end in a modding discussion, although I do appreciate the answers. :-D

Return to “Gameplay Help”