[1.0.0] Crash: Graphics Card/Driver Crash

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
neocortex92
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.0.0] Crash: Graphics Card/Driver Crash

Post by neocortex92 »

I've messing around with the new 1.0 Release and suddenly my FPS goes horribly down, followed by a Crash to the Desktop.
From now on i had to restart. The whole System got slow and unresponsive. Restarting fixed it.
The Error Message said something like: "Your GPU got unplugged. To fix it check your Systems Graphics Card/PCI Slots."
Never happened in any other Game.

Log says:
3718.116 D3D11_ERROR: IDXGISwapChain::Present failed in swapBuffers on line 1907. Error [0x887a0005] - DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED
3718.116 GetDeviceRemovedReason(): [0x887a0006] DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Offtopic: Could it be that my Graphics Card could get broken in the future? I've already RMAd it once and got a replacement. PC is 3 Months old.

System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x
GPU RTX 2070
Driver 446.14
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(147.89 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] Crash: Graphics Card/Driver Crash

Post by orzelek »

You can try to reduce amount of render threads.. it might help.
But this error basically means that GPU crashed.

You can check drivers - either use latest ones or the stable ones with WHQL. Bugs in drivers can also crash the GPU.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

See 88040 and 65323, if you search the forum for DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED you can find more info and dev statements on what could cause this.

neocortex92
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by neocortex92 »

Loewchen wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:27 pm
See 88040 and 65323, if you search the forum for DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED you can find more info and dev statements on what could cause this.
Thanks for the fast reply. Ive tested a bit and i cant really reproduce the crash. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not.
The only thing i could tell is that deactivating the Geforce Experience Overlay has solved it so far or that ive installed the latest gpu driver that rolled today.

djtumolo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by djtumolo »

I'm having the same issue. Intermittent CTD, with the same error message. Sometimes its within a few minutes, other times I can play for a bit before it crashes.
My drivers are up to date, and I just ran all the windows updates.

djtumolo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by djtumolo »

Tried again, and now I'm getting bands of tearing - sometimes theres a region about 100 px tall where it seems like the graphics card can't keep up, and its jittery.
I've got a 980 TI it shouldn't be struggling with this.
I've tried a bunch of permutations of the graphics settings - low quality textures, disabled animations, 2 render threads, 4 render threads, etc etc. No noticeable effect on the tearing problem.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Could the root cause be the same as this : viewtopic.php?p=509385#p509385 ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

neocortex92
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by neocortex92 »

I think, i fixed it:
Energy Options didnt solve it.
The Problem seems to be that im running the Game from a 2TB USB Harddrive plugged into one of my USB Ports.
Reinstalled the Game on an internal Storage Device and the Crashes are gone. The Game is running without Problems for multiple Hours.

With this in Mind, ive tested around and tried to replicate what was happening:
Changed the 2TB Harddrive to another one to sort out if it was this particular Drive that made it Crash. Also changed around the USB Ports.

Conclusion: The Crash also happened with every other Harddrive ive tested and changing around the USB Ports doesnt seem to have an effect. The Crash itself is still very random, but installing Factorio on an internal Storage Device seems to have it solved.

Return to “Technical Help”