aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.14+] Infinizoom - zoom without limits

Post by aaargha »

Info
0.1.5-0.1.7 Specifics
Important notice
Using the scroll wheel is not supported in regular Factorio. As a workaround use the AutoHotkey script below while playing. It also presses the default zoom in/out keys for this mod when you use the scroll wheel. As an added feature scrolling in any list in-game will also change the zoom ;) (blueprint books work fine though, don't worry)
scrollzoom.ahk
Changelog
If anyone tries this in multiplayer and gets this to work please leave a message and let me know. Also, this mod should work for earlier versions of Factorio, if anyone tries if for an earlier version (just change info.json) please leave a message and I'll make an upload for that version as well.

Feedback/thoughts/bug reports welcome (just not too many of the last one)
Last edited by aaargha on Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:07 am, edited 9 times in total.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.14+] Infinizoom - zoom without limits

Post by abordoli »

I tired a similar mod that had adverse affects to zooming out too much, but I did like getting really close in for taking snapshots. Does your mod suffer from CPU-lock when zooming out too much or does it alias over it?
Regards,
~B

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

abordoli wrote:I tired a similar mod that had adverse affects to zooming out too much, but I did like getting really close in for taking snapshots. Does your mod suffer from CPU-lock when zooming out too much or does it alias over it?
Regards,
~B
I'd guess that it suffers from the same performance problems that other zoom mods do. It basically runs the mod equivalent of the '/c game.player.zoom = X' command and lets the game do the rest. Zooming out a lot will drain performance as the game has to render more.

jagr_200
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jagr_200 »

So I am trying to use this mod. I can't figure it out. What am I supposed to do with the code? I copied it all and put it into the command line by pressing ~ and nothing happens. I'm sure I'm confused. Thanks.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

jagr_200 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:41 am
So I am trying to use this mod. I can't figure it out. What am I supposed to do with the code? I copied it all and put it into the command line by pressing ~ and nothing happens. I'm sure I'm confused. Thanks.
I'd strongly suggest that if you hit that problem, you are gonna keep having pain and suffering from this, but...

You run the AHK code with AutoHotKey. It remaps some input from the normal behaviour to custom input controls in the mod, which then overrides the zoom features that core has. The mod itself needs the controls matching the AHK code.

Early Wynn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Early Wynn »

This is Confusing.... So you need to download Autohotkey(AHK), use your Code in AHK and activate your Mod ingame to get this work?

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

While you don't need to use AutoHotkey -or any other third party key rebinding software- it is the only way to use the scroll wheel as an input to trigger custom events, something this mod uses to change the zoom level. If you're fine using other keys to zoom, they hotkeys used by the mod are configurable on the settings screen.

DJQuad
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DJQuad »

I'm already using AHK to help with among other things, zooming -

Code: Select all

PgUp::
Send {WheelUp}
Return

PgDn::
Send {WheelDown}
Return
Do I need to change this in order for Infinizoom to work? I can't zoom out any further than before.

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

Good news for anyone having trouble with AutoHotkey: as of version 0.1.5 this mod does not use separate key-binds, instead it replaces the normal zoom function. This means that third party software is no longer needed to make this work with the scroll wheel. Big thanks to calcwizard for the contribution!

talung
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by talung »

Posted in the Mod Section, but Will post here as well.

Little issue with last update..

Scroll wheel works fine for zooming while in play area, but now the zoom for MAP mode is borked.

Couldn't find any MOD settings or controls for Infini Zoom to correct this. If you are going to override the scroll wheel, please do so for the MAP mode as well.

Also, when zooming out and it reaches maximum, it looks like you can still scroll out. ie. IF you scroll the mouse wheel 3 times, you need to scroll 3 times the opposite direction before it starts zooming in. Not Ideal behaviour. Basically you would want to zoom in immediately as you scroll that wheel.

But other than those 2 bugs, 1 which is major imho, this is a great addition.

Thanks

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

Both of these issues are, hopefully, fixed in 0.1.7.

The second one is the mod actually hitting the limits of the game engine, it keeps trying to use smaller/larger values but the game won't go further. Implemented limits in either direction to prevent this breakage (turns out you can actually get "between" the pixels at just over 1000000 times magnification.

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

Aaaaaaand we're back to the hotkeys.

As the dev responses for my first foray into binding to the scroll wheel implied, things got messy in a lot of cases. So many different things are bound to the scroll wheel, and the "zoom-in"/"zoom-out" key-binds are triggered regardless of whether the game would actually zoom something or not.

Unless there are still some issues that need ironing out - or there is proper support for the kind of hooks needed for this to work - this will likely be pretty close to the final iteration of this mod.

Ormy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ormy »

I just updated to the latest version of this. After binding infinizoom in/out to mousewheel up/down and setting the normal zoom in/out to unbound, everything seems to be working great. Other scroll wheel functions (that I know about and use) are fine, zooming works great in normal view and map view.

Thanks so much for this mod by the way. Been using it for a few months, so helpful when making and placing very large blueprints.
Last edited by Ormy on Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Mods”