Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Serenity »

You don't really need to enter. You can hook up power and belts on the right side and use it that way

Biters may be set to peaceful. Or they aren't in the pollution cloud. Biters don't really attack things just because they are there. They send attack groups to main pollution sources and attack things that are in their path. Or they attack things in the path of expansion groups
Last edited by Serenity on Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Combatrex11 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:55 pm
Beginner player here. After exploring a lot of tutorial map, I came to this pre-built furnace facility. How to enter this, it says I can't mine the walls.
Looks like you don't need to enter it. If you hook up the facility to power and connect the belts (one in for ore or iron plates, one out for iron/copper/steel plates) you should be fine. Sure, you need to feed the beast with power, but you get some advanced furnaces pretty early.
Also, this was next to a biters camp, but they didn't attack this facility, can I know why?
Probably it doesn't belong to any player, but to force "neutral". And that's probably because you would only have found ruins otherwise. :-D

EDIT: Oooops, Serenity apparently posted while I still was writing …
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Combatrex11 wrote:
Also, this was next to a biters camp, but they didn't attack this facility, can I know why?
I think it is because it is unpowered. Biters are attracted by pollution/polluting machines.

If you do power it and feed it some raw ore, it will start polluting and if the cloud reach a biter nest they would attack its source.

I would tend to say it has been made non-minable in order to force players to move materials there rather than deconstructing the pre-built facility and rebuild it somewhere else it which as a consequence forbid player to enter but i'm not familiar with the tutorial that had seen quite some new developments recently i could be wrong.

(we can't all 3 be wrong though :D )

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Combatrex11 wrote:
Beginner player here. After exploring a lot of tutorial map, I came to this pre-built furnace facility. How to enter this, it says I can't mine the walls. Also, this was next to a biters camp, but they didn't attack this facility, can I know why?
Delete a wall tile and you can move in

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

You can break the walls by shooting them (try 'c'). No way to mine them, though, and it's not really necessary.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

How to reset a game to the "fresh download status" erasing all BP, achievements, keybindings e.g.?

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

brunzenstein wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:39 am
How to reset a game to the "fresh download status" erasing all BP, achievements, keybindings e.g.?
Easiest way is to simply download and extract the portable .zip version.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

How to put only one piece of resource in a assembler without opening its GUI?
Given that I have no middle click on a Mac.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

brunzenstein wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:04 am
How to put only one piece of resource in a assembler without opening its GUI?
Given that I have no middle click on a Mac.
With the item in your hand, hover over the assembler (or anywhere else) and press Z to drop one item.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Howdy. Could you ever look at the logistic conditions of something via the map view? I thought I could, but I fired up a 0.18.xx and couldn't, so I fired up a 0.17.xx save and couldn't do it there either. I'm guessing at this point that I never could and I am once again a victim of my own failing memory...
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

i don't remember it being part of the unmodded gameplay. I have memories of copy-pasting blueprint from near me, and then from the map view, just to change the settings of some wire/inserter, i think it was the same for the logistic conditions. and before that i think there wasn't a detailed map view, you couldn't see things in map view.

only execption is trains i think, you could always click a train from map view and change settings there as far as i remember.

maybe you had a mod or played on a multiplayer server that allowed it ?

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

I do recall being able to open up assemblers, furnaces, etc. from the map menu (although I also recall only being able to do so if I had raw ore or some kind of intermediate item), but I honestly couldn't tell you if that was in the base game or if that was based on a mod. Which is a shame because I loved that feature (as wonky as it was to make it work). Given what I recall from a recent unmodded game I played for Lazy Bastard, it isn't in the base game. PRetty sure you've always been able to make/copy blueprints from regular and map view, or at least recently you have. I think both .16 and .17 had it.

I do have a question of my own, mainly as a modified version of a question I asked before. I figured out how to access the logistic network connection to use that as a limiter on items within self-contained networks. However, one thing I haven't yet understood (and feel like I didn't explain properly) is how to limit the number of robots available to be used within the network, not just the number in the network itself, if that makes sense.

I know to use logistic network connections so that if I have a train wagon with, say, walls, and a filter inserter that pulls them to, say, a passive chest, I can set it so that the inserter reads what is in that logistic network and won't pull new walls off the train based on the parameters I set. What I don't quite understand is how to make it connect to number of available robots (of either kind) in the network to limit how many of those are available to use in the network at any given time so I'm not endlessly adding new robots to the available number and also potentially filling up the starting roboport with robots that I don't have the workload to empty.

I am assuming this is possible, but I don't see why it wouldn't be?

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Voidedfactory wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:47 pm
However, one thing I haven't yet understood (and feel like I didn't explain properly) is how to limit the number of robots available to be used within the network, not just the number in the network itself, if that makes sense.
A roboport with a circuit connection can be set to signal the available and total bots of each type in the logistic network that roboport is part of. You can use that to control inserters adding bots to the roboport. The bots will move to where they are needed, so you only need one roboport like this per network.

How you get the bots to where those inserters can reach them is worth some thought ;).

Edit: rephrased to clarify the roboport must be set to provide the signals.

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

SoShootMe wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:24 am
Voidedfactory wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:47 pm
However, one thing I haven't yet understood (and feel like I didn't explain properly) is how to limit the number of robots available to be used within the network, not just the number in the network itself, if that makes sense.
A roboport with a circuit connection can be set to signal the available and total bots of each type in the logistic network that roboport is part of. You can use that to control inserters adding bots to the roboport. The bots will move to where they are needed, so you only need one roboport like this per network.

How you get the bots to where those inserters can reach them is worth some thought ;).

Edit: rephrased to clarify the roboport must be set to provide the signals.
I would need to use combinators, then, I assume?

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

For remote stations, I typically have a bot delivery train set up that carries 50 of each bot. That gets unloaded into a pair of chests, each locked to 1 slot. Filter inserters make sure that the right bot goes to the right chest.

I have inserters removing bots from the chests and putting them into the roboport, based on the roboport’s robot statistics. If I want only 100 Construction bots, then the construction bot inserter is told “construction bots < 100” ... if I want up to 5000 logistics bots, but only as needed, I’ll have a pair of decider combinators hooked up to the roboport (one available < 100 output Green 1, the other total < 5000 output Green 1) and have the logistics bot inserter only work when Green = 2.

The station itself uses a negative Constant Combinator, and turns on whenever either bot type is < -25.

But you can do things however you want to.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Voidedfactory wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:00 pm
You may be surprised how much you can do without needing any combinators. This is mainly because you set a condition, similar to a decider combinator, directly on a controlled entity like an inserter.

More complex requirements certainly need them, but I recommend applying the KISS principle :).

Mathematician
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mathematician »

What's the syntax for using virtual signals (colors and letters) in rich text? I see that '[virtual-signal=...]' is properly highlighted but I can't manage to get the rest correct.
Some people say math is useless in life. I say life is useless in math.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Mathematician wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:54 pm
What's the syntax for using virtual signals (colors and letters) in rich text? I see that '[virtual-signal=...]' is properly highlighted but I can't manage to get the rest correct.
https://wiki.factorio.com/Data.raw#virtual-signal

Code: Select all

[virtual-signal=signal-green]
if you only want the image without text:

Code: Select all

[img=virtual-signal/signal-green]
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

SoShootMe wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:18 pm
Voidedfactory wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:00 pm
You may be surprised how much you can do without needing any combinators. This is mainly because you set a condition, similar to a decider combinator, directly on a controlled entity like an inserter.

More complex requirements certainly need them, but I recommend applying the KISS principle :).
Good. I don't understand how those work at all and would really prefer not to work with them if I don't have to. I know they add extra complexity and automation and stuff, but it's just not my thing.

(now I Just gotta wait for one o my mods to updated to .18/1.0 and then I can try that).

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Voidedfactory wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:44 pm
SoShootMe wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:18 pm
You may be surprised how much you can do without needing any combinators.
Good. I don't understand how those work at all and would really prefer not to work with them if I don't have to. I know they add extra complexity and automation and stuff, but it's just not my thing.
That's fair enough of course. But if you're happy setting conditions on inserters (or pumps - very useful to control oil cracking), I think using decider combinators to implement multiple conditions, like "insert bots if there are less than N available and less than M in total" (one of astroshak's examples) is a small step.

I think using a single constant combinator as part of controlling when a "supply train" comes is a bit of a jump but simple once you understand it. I recommend this if you play with enemies to easily and efficiently automate outpost defence and repair.

Latches and memory cells open more possibilities, but you could definitely stop short of this.

Return to “Gameplay Help”