Is there a mod to level out our split up some of the science progression?

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

coffee_fiend
Inserter
Inserter

Is there a mod to level out our split up some of the science progression?

Post by coffee_fiend »

I like the Bob mods as a whole, but I really hate the jump between red and blue science.
Yellow and Red are almost trivial but then Blue requires a rather large infrastructure be in place.
Is there a mod that levels the progression out a bit or splits it up a bit more?
Or I guess even one just changing the circuit board to a the next lower tier would help

I guess trying to make this change though would take a fair amount of research first
deciding which currently blue items should be allowed first with the lower level progression
and then which items would be proper items for this intermediate science pack.

something like: train stop, engine (move it from blue since it is so simple) basic circuit board... anything else?

not sure which currently blue items I'd want to move though to the intermediate.
Tempted to say adv. oil, logistics, some of the materials items, and uranium processing and make products of them being required for the new blue.
make the new blue something like u238, electronic circuit board, electric engine, and something else though those 3 might be enough.

or I guess make some of the upgrade items the intermediate unlocks instead and keep the really new stuff for the fully blue.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Is there a mod to level out our split up some of the science progression?

Post by bobingabout »

coffee_fiend wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:42 am
I like the Bob mods as a whole, but I really hate the jump between red and blue science.
Yellow and Red are almost trivial but then Blue requires a rather large infrastructure be in place.
Is there a mod that levels the progression out a bit or splits it up a bit more?
Or I guess even one just changing the circuit board to a the next lower tier would help

I guess trying to make this change though would take a fair amount of research first
deciding which currently blue items should be allowed first with the lower level progression
and then which items would be proper items for this intermediate science pack.

something like: train stop, engine (move it from blue since it is so simple) basic circuit board... anything else?

not sure which currently blue items I'd want to move though to the intermediate.
Tempted to say adv. oil, logistics, some of the materials items, and uranium processing and make products of them being required for the new blue.
make the new blue something like u238, electronic circuit board, electric engine, and something else though those 3 might be enough.

or I guess make some of the upgrade items the intermediate unlocks instead and keep the really new stuff for the fully blue.
I am unaware of anything that currently exists that does something like this. Keep in mind that most of science pack 3's difficulty is actually from the base mod, I do make changes, but from what I remember, they're minor.

I do have plans to eventually do a science pack overhaul, which adds many more packs and splits up the progression a little, so, that might help, but I haven't even started on it, so there's no release date.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

coffee_fiend
Inserter
Inserter

Post by coffee_fiend »

The complexity comes from the fact that it uses the electronic circuit board really.

lol no offense intended and maybe you're mis-remembering but the current recipe requires the 4th tier circuit board and not the 3rd.
The vanilla recipe requires the 2nd tier board out of 3 tiers (basic, advanced, processor)
I guess you have 6 ties so you could argue that it is because the 4th tier here is the "same" as the 2nd tier out of 3, but it's still the added complexity or circuits.

the other items are trivial but that circuit board is extremely complex

There are 23 or more steps to setup to make that board and all the ingredients from base ingredients.
Not to mention the machines to make all the ingredients
And you definitely can't count on all the required resources being close to each other so trains are basically required too to make the board.
At minimum you need iron, tin, lead, oil, wood and water.

The other items are at most 6 steps which is the engine

lol so just to reiterate it's not really the vanilla recipe that's at issue it's the circuit board changes

But that's also why I mentioned changing to the 3rd tier and maybe making trains part of the intermediate science pack.
So like with the vanilla science it drives you to make what you need for the next step in the progression.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

coffee_fiend wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:27 pm
The complexity comes from the fact that it uses the electronic circuit board really.

lol no offense intended and maybe you're mis-remembering but the current recipe requires the 4th tier circuit board and not the 3rd.
The vanilla recipe requires the 2nd tier board out of 3 tiers (basic, advanced, processor)
I guess you have 6 ties so you could argue that it is because the 4th tier here is the "same" as the 2nd tier out of 3, but it's still the added complexity or circuits.
I have 5 tiers of circuit board... it should be using Tier 3, internally known as "Advanced Circuit", same as the base game red circuit boards. This is entirely unchanged by my tech mod, and only becomes a step up in complexity IF you have Bob's electronics installed.
Keep in mind, the reason why the chemical science pack requires this tier of circuit is because it requires oil production to make (Which holds true with my mods)
I think the only change I actually do make to chemical science pack is to add Sodium Hydroxide to it, in part to give you a Sodium Hydroxide sink.

Keep in mind, Bob's Electronics is probably the mod that increases difficulty more than any other of my mods. That's the main reason why Electronics are self contained in their own mod, so you can choose not to install it if you find it too difficult.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

+1 for making trains easier to research if Bob's electronics are installed.

A steam engine locomotive really doesn't have any electronics in it. Rails even less so.

coffee_fiend
Inserter
Inserter

Post by coffee_fiend »

I didn't realize the electronics were optional.
But yeah it would be nice if with electronics the science progression were leveled.
I guess I could try making such a mod too .... but that would be too sensible when I can just ask for one right? :P
Actually it's more a matter of not having the time to figure out how the Bob mods handle recipes and how to extend things.

But thanks for the response.

Also if I haven't mentioned it I do enjoy the mods, it's just that one jump in the science progression with electronics that really slows things down.
So thanks for all the work too.

Return to “Bob's mods”