[0.11.1][MP] Game Hangs

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
WiduX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.11.1][MP] Game Hangs

Post by WiduX »

So a friend and I have been playing some multiplayer, and everything is working surprisingly well. The only issue we've come across (Other than some infrequent stuttering, but that seems like connection issues) is the following:

Sometimes, seemingly always right after an autosave finishes, both the host and all clients' games will freeze. Movement and inventory don't work, but the hotbar and 'pause menu' still do. In the hotbar, hovering on icons will show the usual highlighted effect, and hovering over an item in the hotbar will bring up the tooltip. The host (and clients) can save the game, but the host cannot exit. This leads me to believe that the world has just stopped ticking, as parts of the game still continue to work. Rarely, the problem can be fixed by the clients disconnecting, and then re-connecting. Most of the time the problem is solved by the host forcibly closing their game. Every time that this happened, it was within 3 seconds after an autosave has completed on the host (This means no progress is lost!). Running on a lower latency (<50 ms, as opposed to <200 ms normally) connection seems to reduce the frequency of the problem, but does not mitigate it completely.

What I think is happening:
The autosave causes the host's game to slow down temporarily, causing some delay. Maybe the client tries to get ahead of the host, and something locks up.

Other than that, everything's working well. Thank you very much for the amazing work on multiplayer!

ADoby
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.11.1][MP] Game Hangs

Post by ADoby »

Same here.
Playing 0.11.1 over hamachi.
Game freezes randomly after autosave (the save gets created and can be resumed after restarting factorio)

Second also regarding autosave but Singleplayer:
You should pause the game on Autosave (singleplayer)
Because it seems you use deltatime and after saving the player teleports when it locks to long.
Pausing the game before saving would get rid of that.

Quis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Quis »

We got the exact same symptoms (presumably no game ticks) on LAN with three wired and two wireless players.

Lorak
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Lorak »

Just making sure you guys aren't having the same problem my friends and I had. We thought the game was locking up as well, but it turns out we were just accidentally pausing the game while chatting with each other.

If you press Shift+Spacebar, the game pauses, even while typing in the chatbox, and it doesn't tell you it's paused. If one of you has a darkened screen when the game locks up that appears to have a black grid on it, that's who paused it, and they need to press Shift+Spacebar again to unpause it.

This might not be your problem, but it was for us, and it felt pretty silly when we found out that was all it was. :-P

ataaron
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ataaron »

Game hangs and slows down if the Internet connection is suffering (which I prefer over teleporting players like in other multiplayer games)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hello, there have been lot of fixes in networking logic, let us know if this still happens in 0.11.6

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”