Therenas
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

[0.18.42] Modded sliders don't step correctly when their range is equal to 1

Post by Therenas »

When creating a modded slider element like this:

Code: Select all

parent.add{type="slider", minimum_value=1,  maximum_value=2}
It steps in values of 0.05 for some reason. It should step in increments of 1, meaning in this case, go from one end of the slider directly to the other end. When setting the maximal_value to 3, it works as expected, going from 1 to 2 to 3. This happens every time the maximum_value = minimum_value + 1.

Edit: Setting value_step to 1 doesn't change anything (I think it's default 1 anyways?), and neither does setting discrete_slider and discrete_values have any effect. I also realize that a slider to select between 1 and 2 does not make much sense, but I want to use it in a context where the maximum_value could be larger in some cases, but it'll be 2 in some. Having a different UI to choose between 1 and 2 would be silly in that case.

osldgoth
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.18.42] Modded sliders don't step correctly when their range is equal to 1

Post by osldgoth »

I've encountered the sliders small steps in my mod ACT. I get around it by checking how much the slider value has changed as seen on line 795

(math.abs(global.ACT_slider[player.name][recipe.name].value - event.element.slider_value) >= global.settings[player.name]["sensitivity-value"] / 10)
then the slider value gets 'rounded' to the nearest whole number on line 702

truncateNumber(global.ACT_slider[player.name][recipe.name].value, 0)
after that the caption and the slider value is updated in the function at line 528. All that only because you can't set a step value.

bormand
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.18.42] Modded sliders don't step correctly when their range is equal to 1

Post by bormand »

Looks like it's something with rounding: maximum_value = 2.0000001 works fine, but maximum_value = 2 does not.

P.S. 2.00000001 is a good workaround until this issue would be fixed.

Therenas
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Therenas »

bormand wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:09 am
Looks like it's something with rounding: maximum_value = 2.0000001 works fine, but maximum_value = 2 does not.

P.S. 2.00000001 is a good workaround until this issue would be fixed.
That is quite interesting. Thanks a lot for the workaround, I'll be able to release my update with that at least.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Looks like it is working as intended:

if (this->max - this->min <= 1 && this->valueStep == 1) // make small number sliders work by default
      this->valueStep = (this->max - this->min) / 20.0;

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

Klonan wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:25 am

if (this->max - this->min <= 1 && this->valueStep == 1) // make small number sliders work by default
Perhaps you could make it < 1 instead of <= 1 to solve OP's problem?
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Xorimuth wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:38 am
Klonan wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:25 am

Perhaps you could make it < 1 instead of <= 1 to solve OP's problem?
No, just set the value step if you want it to behave different.

0->1 sliders are very common

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Klonan wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:57 pm
just set the value step
Can you give an example? As far as i can tell - and like op said - value_step has no effect.

Here's three failed attempts:

/c 
game.player.gui.center.clear()
game.player.gui.center.add{type='frame'}.add{type="slider", minimum_value=1,  maximum_value=2, value_step=1}
game.player.gui.center.add{type='frame'}.add{type="slider", minimum_value=1,  maximum_value=2, value=2, value_step=1}
local s = game.player.gui.center.add{type='frame'}.add{type="slider", minimum_value=1,  maximum_value=2, value=2, value_step=1, discrete_slider = true, discrete_values = true}

s.set_slider_value_step(1)
s.set_slider_discrete_slider(true)
s.set_slider_discrete_values(true)
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

eradicator wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:44 pm
Klonan wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:57 pm
just set the value step
Can you give an example? As far as i can tell - and like op said - value_step has no effect.
Ok, there is a 'bug', an issue

The custom widget thinks it has the value step of 1, while internally it was set to 0.05

When you set it to 1, it goes "Oh, I am already at 1, I can just do nothing"

So you need to set it to like, 0.1, then back to 1

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Klonan wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:52 pm
So you need to set it to like, 0.1, then back to 1

/c 
game.player.gui.center.clear()
game.player.gui.center.add{type='frame'}.add{type="slider", minimum_value=1,  maximum_value=2, value_step = 0.01, value = 1}.set_slider_value_step(1)
While that does indeed work it is ugly and incomprehensible.
Klonan wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:52 pm
Ok, there is a 'bug', an issue
Why the quotes? Is there some reason this won't/can't be fixed?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

bormand
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bormand »

can't be fixed
The problem is that some mods may depend on old behaviour and expect "small number sliders work by default".

I guess that best fix would be to distinguish between "valueStep is not set" (for mods that expect 0..1 sliders work with 0.05 step) and "valueStep is explicitly set" (for mods that specify proper valueStep manually).

Return to “Not a bug”