[0.17.79] End of Game/Death while player is on train

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
rolaaus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.79] End of Game/Death while player is on train

Post by rolaaus »

I started my first game, and didn't include biters (probably not important), but what I didn't know is that the game would "end" whether you launched a rocket/satellite or not. I think it did this at the most inopportune time - I was riding on my train, therefore, I couldn't recover any of my equipment.

I believe this to to be a "bug" because it seems to be something the programmers didn't account for when the character dies and their body is left on the ground with all of their gear - when the player dies on a train, it doesn't seem to run the "dead player" code that leaves the body and the equipment for retrieval.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.79] End of Game/Death while player is on train

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however I'm not sure what you're actually saying?

Finishing the game through launching the rocket doesn't kill the player. Also you can't actually die while in a train; if the train dies it kicks you out of the train first - and then something else has to kill you.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

rolaaus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rolaaus »

What I was referring to was when the game "ends" without launching a rocket.

I was playing my first game, and while on the train, the game just "ended" - the message said something about a timer elapsing - I believe it was something about having played 75 hours (that number may be wrong, but I believe the concept of the timer was to launch your first rocket before this specified amount of time, and I was not playing the game with the goal of launching a rocket.

I gave me the option of continuing the game (I assume indefinitely) and that was what I choose, because I was still getting familiar with all of the concepts of the game. I also don't see a way to shut off this auto-timer for the player's first launch goal, in the new game set-up process - which I just used to create a new game.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

There is no timer or anything, you can take as long as you like

The game only ends like that if you die,
It sounds like you accidentally disembarked the train, and then it accidentally smooshed you

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

rolaaus wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:47 am
What I was referring to was when the game "ends" without launching a rocket.

I was playing my first game, and while on the train, the game just "ended" - the message said something about a timer elapsing - I believe it was something about having played 75 hours (that number may be wrong, but I believe the concept of the timer was to launch your first rocket before this specified amount of time, and I was not playing the game with the goal of launching a rocket.

I gave me the option of continuing the game (I assume indefinitely) and that was what I choose, because I was still getting familiar with all of the concepts of the game. I also don't see a way to shut off this auto-timer for the player's first launch goal, in the new game set-up process - which I just used to create a new game.
in single player, when you are killed, you will also see this "respawn/continue" sort of dialogue. sounds like you accidentally left the train and got run over. I do this sometimes.

rolaaus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rolaaus »

No, I didn't get run over - I was riding the train and then the dialog box popped up telling me that I didn't launch a rocket (which wasn't my goal) within 75 "hours" of gameplay - Just like I said I was...I didn't confuse a dialog box telling me that I didn't launch a rocket, with getting ran over by a train that I was sitting at my desk, waiting patiently to be transferred from one station to another.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

rolaaus wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:39 pm
No, I didn't get run over - I was riding the train and then the dialog box popped up telling me that I didn't launch a rocket (which wasn't my goal) within 75 "hours" of gameplay - Just like I said I was...I didn't confuse a dialog box telling me that I didn't launch a rocket, with getting ran over by a train that I was sitting at my desk, waiting patiently to be transferred from one station to another.
Then you are using a mod or custom scenario which showed that message. Base game Factorio does not have anything like that. There is no time limit in Factorio.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

rolaaus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rolaaus »

*IF* I was run over by the train, wouldn't there have been a body with my belongings to retrieve? The train network that I developed was pretty primitive and I would have easily have come across my body, but I never did.

Maybe there was a mod, in the beginning I didn't use much, but I did use some, but I don't ever remember reading about a timeframe and the goal of launching a rocket in the mod description and I would hope it was not left as a surprise to the player, that would be a cruel joke for the mod developer to play.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

rolaaus wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:26 pm
Maybe there was a mod, in the beginning I didn't use much, but I did use some, but I don't ever remember reading about a timeframe and the goal of launching a rocket in the mod description and I would hope it was not left as a surprise to the player, that would be a cruel joke for the mod developer to play.
Not any less cruel than the developers of the game doing it.

There is no such limit - or message - in the game, though. So the only option is that it came from a mod. The only way to verify it is to happen to have a save from before when it happened (ideally you have the 3 quicksaves from the 10, 20, and 30 minute marks before you died in the train) and load it up with no mods, and see what happens when you cross the 75 hour mark.

Return to “Pending”