Friday Facts #358 - Alien decoratives & Polluted water

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Roxor128
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #358 - Alien decoratives & Polluted water

Post by Roxor128 »

I like the polluted water idea. The simple interpolation between blue and green based on the pollution value for polluted water could be reused for air pollution, too. Just interpolate between a pollution colour and the regular land graphics to make a haze of pollution on land.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Is water going to absorb pollution now?
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:46 am
Is water going to absorb pollution now?
Water has always absorbed pollution - see https://wiki.factorio.com/Pollution#Chunks.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

EnerJi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EnerJi »

argbla wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:36 pm
Covid is not a relatively deadly flu, but it's not your fault the prevailing religious narrative has decided overreacting to it is the "moral" thing to do.
There's an opportunity for you to learn more about this disease and not to be dismissive of it. Comment should be deleted as off-topic (as should this one), but as long as it stays, I will respond with some facts:
  1. COVID is not the flu (influenza). It's a disease based on a Coronavirus, Sars-Cov-2.
  2. It's much deadlier than influenza.
  3. Just as importantly, it causes far more serious illness and hospitalizations than influenza.
  4. It appears to cause serious organ damage in many people (lung, heart, etc.)
  5. It's far more infectious than influenza, i.e. it spreads faster and more easily,
  6. We can reduce the spread by taking sensible precautions such as wearing masks, not congregating in large groups, avoiding especially indoor poorly-ventilated spaces, staying home especially when feeling ill, etc.
  7. None of this is an overreaction. It is a sensible approach which will save jobs, save lives, and reduce the incidence of long-term health effects.

gevrael
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gevrael »

I suspect it will be a trifle to modify the pollution color - or even a pollution color slider. I wonder if having a color shader tied to the pollution would make it possible for a mod to have pollution make factories and equipment rusty over time?

DarkyPupu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DarkyPupu »

Sorry if i missed it, but will it be possible / easy to migrate from a current game to 1.0 visual effects ? (creep, polluted water, etc.). Need new game to get benefit from it ? Existing game ok but only new chunks ? Console command ?

It's great that pollution has a visual effect, it's definitely an encouragement to not pollute too much. I don't like the idea that pollution is without any visible effects, it just make players don't care :)

Thanks !

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moderator warning : this thread will not derail into a discussion on Sars-Cov-2 virus and Covid -19 disease. Despite the topic being interesting, this forum is not the right place to do so.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

DarkyPupu wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:53 am
Sorry if i missed it, but will it be possible / easy to migrate from a current game to 1.0 visual effects ? (creep, polluted water, etc.). Need new game to get benefit from it ? Existing game ok but only new chunks ? Console command ?
Existing bases will not have creep, everything else will be upgraded to 1.0 visual effects without problems. And new bases when you explore far enough to generete more of the map, or because of natives migrating to make new nests, will also be using the new visual look with creep. So it's not a big deal.

DarkyPupu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DarkyPupu »

True, although it may be nicer to wait a couple more weeks to have all this (and maybe more ? ) than starting a long game right now. Thanks for answer :)

raidho36
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by raidho36 »

Polluted water should be something like gray-brown color. Green water looks like algae bloom which, while not healthy for the ecosystem, is an indication of good quality water. Algae blooms happen when nutrients (not toxins!) are released into the water faster than the ecosystem can adapt, resulting in a lot more algae than there are algae-eating animals, causing it to accumulate. Given enough time, algae-eating animals will grow in number until they can graze down the algae to normal levels, which in turn creates plenty of food for other animals. There will be overall a lot more aquatic life in the area, due to more nutrients present in the water, the same way as rich soils could support more life than deserts.
Last edited by raidho36 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

(...) It would be lovely if we could make grass or decoratives die too, but that's something way too technically complicated for now.
A great idea for post 1.0 could be gradual desertification and buildup of smog (maybe indicated by a slight saturation loss).
Both should be more than pure cosmetics, e.g. decreasing solar output, further increasing the need for polluting energy production.
This has already been partially done by mods (credit: darkfrei).

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

conn11 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:01 pm
(...) It would be lovely if we could make grass or decoratives die too, but that's something way too technically complicated for now.
A great idea for post 1.0 could be gradual desertification and buildup of smog (maybe indicated by a slight saturation loss).
Both should be more than pure cosmetics, e.g. decreasing solar output, further increasing the need for polluting energy production.
This has already been partially done by mods (credit: darkfrei).
If they did that for solar, it would lose all value as a ups free power source.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

nafira
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nafira »

Polluted wated is good, but too flashy.
Seriously it's "alien green".

Can you just apply a greyish effect on it ? it's would be a lot realistic and aesthetic.

tsen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tsen »

Yeah, I definitely agree with changing the polluted water colour: green water is actually healthier. It's actually lifesaving advice that is given to people in the real world who might need to find drinkable water in a survival scenario, especially in areas where arsenic is present, to choose thick, algae-filled water over any beautiful crystal-clear stream, because the latter may very well be beautiful and crystal-clear because it kills everything in it.

Rebmes
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rebmes »

Blue water looks nice. I guess that's the price to pay for polluting ;)

Be careful guys, trying to make small changes that have the biggest impacts can be a dangerous pursuit.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

I wonder if the color change to polluted water isn't a bit too strong, considering that the ground doesn't change at all either. As a result, it looks a little out of place on a the large view of the map despite the otherwise sound logic. Other than that, it's definitely a nice touch!

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

I'm divided. I also find the green too strong, but in other hand, I can't wait to see how shocked I am when I get outside of my polluted zone after several hours of gameplay and see water as it was before I messed everything up :D (so a big contrast is also good)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Are alien decoratives a separate layer or they are somehow generated when base is created?
I'm assuming that if I spawn enemy base in RSO I'll need to spawn the decoratives for it somehow too.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

orzelek wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:27 am
Are alien decoratives a separate layer or they are somehow generated when base is created?
I'm assuming that if I spawn enemy base in RSO I'll need to spawn the decoratives for it somehow too.
If you create them using create_entity() function, it will have boolean parameter spawn_decorations.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

posila wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:48 am
orzelek wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:27 am
If you create them through, create_entity() function, it will have boolean parameter spawn_decorations.
Thats great.

Return to “News”