Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Regular reports on Factorio development.
welens
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by welens »

conn11 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:43 pm
EnerJi wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:34 pm
conn11 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:26 pm
EnerJi wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:10 pm
On another topic, related to upgrade/downgrade planners, would love to be able to include modules in those.
Already possible.
Oh really? That's great. Does it also support swapping modules, e.g. from speed to prod or vice-versa?

The upgrade planner is quite flexible considering modules; even in the current version.

upgrade_planner.JPG
Still don't understand how to upgrade assembly without modules to the one with modules. :)

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

The nuke explosion... It is simply... spectacular. Brilliant job.
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "Ищу, теряя" (rus, 2013)

tmzasz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tmzasz »

personaly i think the central mushroom cloud disperses way to fast, looking abck at all the atomic weapons ever detonated it could take half an hour for the mushroom cloud to disperse on some so something like 10-30 seconds would be amazing

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

welens wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:44 pm
conn11 wrote:
EnerJi wrote:
conn11 wrote:
EnerJi wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:10 pm
On another topic, related to upgrade/downgrade planners, would love to be able to include modules in those.
Already possible.
Oh really? That's great. Does it also support swapping modules, e.g. from speed to prod or vice-versa?

The upgrade planner is quite flexible considering modules; even in the current version.

upgrade_planner.JPG
Still don't understand how to upgrade assembly without modules to the one with modules. :)
That is not possible yet, and will not be in 1.0. We call this idea module install/uninstall. It might be done one day. The logic would be, that if you fill only "To", and keep From empty, it would install the module if possible. Same, the other way around, when you have From filled and and To empty.

EnerJi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EnerJi »

kovarex wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:02 pm

That is not possible yet, and will not be in 1.0. We call this idea module install/uninstall. It might be done one day. The logic would be, that if you fill only "To", and keep From empty, it would install the module if possible. Same, the other way around, when you have From filled and and To empty.
That sounds like a fine design to me. Definitely not the highest priority but I'm happy to hear it's on your radar for possibly implementing in the future.

Any thoughts on making the nuclear explosion have a larger area of effect? I outlined my thoughts in an earlier comment including some ideas on how to still make it friendly to the player and not too suicidal.

eViLegion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by eViLegion »

Can you perhaps add in some kind of brief on-screen interference effects a few moments after the nuke detonates? Like the camera feed is struggling with the EMP. Maybe stronger if you're zoomed in close. That would really add to the sense of power.

welens
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by welens »

kovarex wrote:
Allow me to copy module scheme of assembling machine to already working assembling machine without modules same way as assembly recipe and I'll be fine. :))

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

Thank you very much for the nuke update. I really look forward to seeing both it and the blueprints in the game. They both look like awesome changes. I was nearly positive you'd make the nuke a lot more impressive before 1.0. :-)

EnerJi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EnerJi »

welens wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:45 pm
kovarex wrote:
Allow me to copy module scheme of assembling machine to already working assembling machine without modules same way as assembly recipe and I'll be fine. :))
That's a very good idea. Another that could be and / or is to allow copy and pasting one assembler with modules over an existing assembler and replacing the modules to match.

deef0000dragon1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by deef0000dragon1 »

Can we get an offset X/Y option in the grid section? It is mentioned in the FFF how you move the red flag around, but to me it seems clunky in an otherwise good GUI. It seems ESPECIALLY problematic if you have a large number of prints (IE Rails) that need to run on the same offset, it would make positioning them to all be the same offset really hard.

Second (much harder, defiantly reaching) request: The ability to assign the offsets for an entire BP book. It would make setting train/wall grid offsets much easier.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

Atomic explosion looks good now. I would like to see some biters’ reaction to the blast. They could stop for a few seconds and turn around to look what’s the hell is happening.

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

coppercoil wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:33 pm
Atomic explosion looks good now. I would like to see some biters’ reaction to the blast. They could stop for a few seconds and turn around to look what’s the hell is happening.
They should notice and run away if realistic reaction is what you seek :lol:

For my part I love the shockwave but I think that not having the giant fireball thrown into the sky is a little meh for a nuclear explosion. Maybe the smaller explosion sprites can be better rearranged to look like a single bigger ball?

NIronwolf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NIronwolf »

Woo! You implemented a suggestion of mine. ❤ viewtopic.php?p=371188#p371188 Then you upped the ante with the grid concept! You guys are amazing.

AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by AntiElitz »

Good job on the nuke graphics! Glad to finally see one :) !
I'm not sold on the sound at all though.

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

Post EA HYPE!!!!

KnightViper18
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KnightViper18 »

I agree with what some others said about the animations on the nuke feeling a bit too fast. The nuke after effects should linger longer. It would be nice if some dust and debris could linger in the air for a few seconds after the initial shockwave clears. Also agree that the sound of the nuke needs some improvement to sound really powerful.

Not sure if this is possible with the game engine, but a nice touch would be a subtle screen shake. That always gets explosions across to the viewer very well. I know some people can't stand that, so that might require a game settings option to disable screen shakes. But anyway, just a suggestion. Great work, keep it up!

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

kovarex wrote:
welens wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:44 pm
conn11 wrote:
EnerJi wrote:
conn11 wrote:

Already possible.

upgrade_planner.JPG
There is a Mod what handle the Moduls in a perfect way ... i never play without that MOD.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ModuleInserter

and the Nuke sound need more punch ... its meh ... the grafic is great!
Look at Supreme Commander Nuke explosion ... and you know the different.
EDIT: Found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kelb7XVh4cU&t=1m33s
The new Blueprint system is awsome. :-) Good job!
Last edited by DOSorDIE on Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Very excited about blueprint snap.

Just to make sure, the little corner squares on those blueprints makes them snap within that box? So a blueprint doesn't have to fill the space vertically or horizontally to snap correctly?

Is there a way to set the bounding box for all blueprints in a book, or to say "all blueprints I'm making right now are x*y in size"?

henryseg
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by henryseg »

If it's a really big explosion then I would expect it to create cliffs (the sides of the crater) as well as destroy any existing ones!

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

This is more than i could have hoped for. I guess 1.0 isn't just .18 + bugfixes. One thing: I think the nuke effects should be applied with the wave, not with impact.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Return to “News”