Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by Amarula »

On this day in 1948 the world was introduced to Marvin the Martian "Where's the kaboom? There's supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" And cue 3... 2... 1...

<Insert new atomic explosion gif here>

Now that is an earth-shattering kaboom. This makes me so happy :lol: Thank you!
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Locane
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Locane »

The nuke update is a great effort, and I appreciate the cliff destruction, but honestly I've been using modded nuke and sound graphics for a long time now and never looked back. You guys should check out what's available - they look awesome, and frankly, they're a lot better.
A bad video I made of one:
https://youtu.be/6z5rFNisRQ4

I also like to break open the Krastorio files and make the antimatter bomb bigger - it also looks and feels incredible with a radius of X10 or so.

I get that graphics are a requirement for some people... But a lot of us are running your game on monster rigs because we're old and have money and don't find anything else entertaining anymore.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Beautiful.

But could you please make it so that all items on belts, chests and machines disappear too. It is very annoying to clear old factories by commands just because atomic bomb has such major functional flaw. I do not say it is common problem in my games, but on the other hand disappearing of items would probably be easier to program than leaving them on ground.

Antyradek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Antyradek »

Wow, the scorch mark looks really awesome.
You could also add a tiny one after artillery explosions.
That's because artillery is used far more often and it will fill map with dots over time as your defence is working (although this may also by the reason to NOT add it to artillery, though).
You could add nuclear artillery for that :D

I hoped for blueprints to be editable, but apparently it's too much hassle.
Because you cannot put mining drills anywhere, mine blueprints are hard to edit on map.

stootachtig
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by stootachtig »

Love the new additions. The nuke still feels slightly underwhelming, and I think it's because the sound effect is over before the actual shockwave completes. It might make sense to add a longer rumbling sound to the animation? just 1-2 seconds longer than it is currently would probably be effective enough.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

I always liked the sound effect from the nuke's shockwave rippling outwards, is that something you've gotten rid of now, since it's not present in the video? Then there was the suggestion of only breaking cliffs and creating the scorch after a tiny delay, so that it looks more natural.

Those things aside, I think you really nailed the rework!

That, and I'm very impressed with the blueprint library update. It looks like an amazing improvement.

Llama
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Llama »

The snap-to-grid is going to make placing blueprints SO much easier and more enjoyable!

noobgandalf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by noobgandalf »

I believe a delayed sound effect would make the blast feel bigger. The delay could maybe be calculated from distance between the player and the explosion.

welens
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by welens »

Explain please, how to work with modules with upgrade planner?

bodobram
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bodobram »

Nice work on the visual side. But as already said by a few others, I think, that the sound effect of the atomic bomb could be further improved. What do you think about a bit of complete silence directly at the explosion and than a much louder and longer detonation sound? That would fake the fact that light is faster than sound.

I also like the complete white screen that stortly exists in the youtube video linked by Locane.

EnerJi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EnerJi »

Love many of the changes as always! For the nuke, very appropriate it now includes cliff destroying. I understand the desire to weaken the damage at the edges to make the game a bit more forgiving of player error, but I am a little concerned about the effective reduction to the damage radius. It's clear in the bottom animation that far more structures and biter nests survive than in the top animation, which is going to make clearing enormous biter nests just that much more tedious and time consuming.

I have been of the opinion that the size and damage radius of the atomic bomb should be increased to make it even more powerful over a larger area of effect. I believe this could be incorporated while still not unnecessarily risking the player's life in two ways:
  1. The player could have increased immunity to the explosion, especially towards the edges. That way the larger explosion can still kill biters, but it would be more survivable for the player.
  2. The explosion could roll out more slowly. I think it could be impressive to have a massive, slow-rolling cloud of doom rolling out from the center that would still allow the player to partially out-run it.

On another topic, related to upgrade/downgrade planners, would love to be able to include modules in those.

Goose
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Goose »

Absolutely love the blueprint grid addition and the nuke changes!

Quick question: With the new tileset for the nuke, does it absorb a specific amount of pollution?

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

EnerJi wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:10 pm
On another topic, related to upgrade/downgrade planners, would love to be able to include modules in those.
Already possible.

dasiro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dasiro »

If the related ID isn't available any more while loading a game. Instead of just plainly removing it, it is marked as unknown and the original textual representation of the ID is stored in a special way.
Will a reference to the containing mod still available? If you're playing with a lot of mods, it's sometimes hard to know which item used which mod when some/all of them were disabled/removed and you're left clueless about which mod was responsible for the unknown item.

EnerJi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EnerJi »

conn11 wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:26 pm
Already possible.
Oh really? That's great. Does it also support swapping modules, e.g. from speed to prod or vice-versa?

Cgeta
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cgeta »

Oh my god I never knew I needed the grid feature for blueprints! It sounds amazing!

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:34 pm
conn11 wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:26 pm
Already possible.
Oh really? That's great. Does it also support swapping modules, e.g. from speed to prod or vice-versa?

The upgrade planner is quite flexible considering modules; even in the current version.
not much left to be expanded on in this regard.
not much left to be expanded on in this regard.
upgrade_planner.JPG (29.36 KiB) Viewed 8132 times

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

I am thankful for the snap to grid added feature to blueprint deployment.

CrushedIce
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CrushedIce »

Raphaello wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:25 am
wow, I've expected 1.0 to be a relatively boring update but both improvements of blueprint library and visuals of nuclear explosion are great! I'm looking forward to both.

However, I hope the explosion sound from the attached movie is going to be replaced with something more impactful - I would expect explosion to be the loudest sound in the game and overwhelming every other sound. Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxNnUU3eRD0

A smaller thing is that I would expect the shockwave to be brighter on the outside than in the inside.

Great work (as always)!!!!!
+1 for the sound effect in this video :mrgreen:

But the visuals are great!

LuxSublima
Inserter
Inserter

Post by LuxSublima »

Locane wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:49 pm
The nuke update is a great effort, and I appreciate the cliff destruction, but honestly I've been using modded nuke and sound graphics for a long time now and never looked back. You guys should check out what's available - they look awesome, and frankly, they're a lot better.
A bad video I made of one:
https://youtu.be/6z5rFNisRQ4
Wow... The sound in that one is epic, as is the initial flash, but I think what the FFF presented is better on the central mushroom cloud and outward rolling smoke. The one you share seems to dissipate too quickly, especially in the center.

I agree the sound from yours is waaaay better. Hopefully there's time to tweak and take inspiration. :)
Last edited by LuxSublima on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to β€œNews”