Burner inserters and assembly machine jam

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
robertsonj
Inserter
Inserter

Burner inserters and assembly machine jam

Post by robertsonj »

Hi,
I've encountered some behavior and not sure if it is an intended part of the Factorio design challenge or a feature oversight.
When using mods with burner assembly machines, burner inserters can get stuck feeding them.
Inserter Jam.png
Inserter Jam.png (195.66 KiB) Viewed 3065 times
I thought that when inserters were placed feeding an assembly machine, they would only pick up items if they could place them.
The image was created using AAI Insdustry, Chokepoint and Editor Extensions. Factorio version 18.36
Thanks for the help.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Burner inserters and assembly machine jam

Post by Koub »

Inserters should indeed not get jammed, except if there is some condition making them jam.
Your save could be of some help to find out what's going on :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Have you filled fuel by hand into the assemblers?

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Could the inserter have been placed before the recipe in the AM1 was set? I’ve seen them try to move stuff in that way before, only to get stuck because the AM recipe was changed, or simply not set to begin with, until after the inserter picked something up.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

robertsonj wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:47 am
Hi,
I've encountered some behavior and not sure if it is an intended part of the Factorio design challenge or a feature oversight.
When using mods with burner assembly machines, burner inserters can get stuck feeding them.
I thought that when inserters were placed feeding an assembly machine, they would only pick up items if they could place them.
The image was created using AAI Insdustry, Chokepoint and Editor Extensions. Factorio version 18.36
Thanks for the help.
I look at that image and wonder why you are using burner inserters to feed the copper inserters in the bottom row? They should be able to grab their own coal. (Just make sure that the bottom belt never runs out of coal).

My best guess for why the inserters endup with coal with nowhere to place is that when the assembler starts running short of fuel both the top and bottom inserters pickup coal to feed it. One 'wins' and feeds the assembler coal, whilst the other gets stuck with coal in its hand.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

Usually devices are able to accept excess fuel and inserters only autofill a tiny amount, so it shouldn't ever be a problem... Not sure why those modded assemblers only accept like 2 coal instead of a full stack, or why the inserters fill them up to the brim with coal. Makes me think it's an issue with the mod.

robertsonj
Inserter
Inserter

Post by robertsonj »

It's not fully filling the assembly machines with coal, they only have between 5 and 7 (inserter capacity 3). I am able to manually add more.
I've been able to reproduce it using Angel's Refining as well.
InserterJam_Angel's.png
InserterJam_Angel's.png (217.75 KiB) Viewed 2932 times

robertsonj
Inserter
Inserter

Post by robertsonj »

astroshak wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:27 pm
Could the inserter have been placed before the recipe in the AM1 was set? I’ve seen them try to move stuff in that way before, only to get stuck because the AM recipe was changed, or simply not set to begin with, until after the inserter picked something up.
I haven't changed the recipe, the machines were running fine and jammed over time.

robertsonj
Inserter
Inserter

Post by robertsonj »

Koub wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:41 am
Inserters should indeed not get jammed, except if there is some condition making them jam.
Your save could be of some help to find out what's going on :).
Two save files attached
Attachments
BurnerInsterAssemblyJam.zip
(2.22 MiB) Downloaded 64 times
Angels Refining Jammed.zip
(2.21 MiB) Downloaded 74 times

robertsonj
Inserter
Inserter

Post by robertsonj »

steinio wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:56 am
Have you filled fuel by hand into the assemblers?
I did not add coal before the jam. Once the jam occured I selected the assembly machine and confirmed that I could add more.

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by QGamer »

I have had the same issue once or twice.
Zavian wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:01 pm
My best guess for why the inserters endup with coal with nowhere to place is that when the assembler starts running short of fuel both the top and bottom inserters pickup coal to feed it. One 'wins' and feeds the assembler coal, whilst the other gets stuck with coal in its hand.
This, I believe, is why it happens. Even if I manually reset the "stuck" inserters so they have an empty hand, after a while the problem re-emerges.
I don't understand why the "stuck" inserter can't simply place its coal in the entity's fuel stack, as long as there is room in the stack (coal has a stack size of 50, so as long as there is room for more, the inserter ought to be able to place more in).
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

robertsonj
Inserter
Inserter

Post by robertsonj »

Loewchen wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:02 pm
See 87031.
Thanks, looks like it will be fixed soon.

Return to “Gameplay Help”