[1.1] - Artisanal Reskins: Bob's Mods

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.18] - (BETA) Artisanal Reskins: Bob's Mods

Post by kirazy »

Ah, lel. Fixed for next release. It wasn't sufficiently robust in making sure it only ran if I had prepared the entities. I'll have to go over the compatibility as a whole again.

I really wish they made it easy to make shrunk icons, though. :<

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

I have the impression that something about the icons is cut off. Most notably when putting them as markers on the map.

In case it matters: I am using 125% UI scale (default for my screen).
artisanal_reskin_cut_off.jpg
artisanal_reskin_cut_off.jpg (450.83 KiB) Viewed 5327 times

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

5.png
5.png (1.66 KiB) Viewed 5320 times
No, that's correct. The tier labels don't have a black border on the left side since the UI itself is black and I wanted them mostly to the left.

I hadn't thought about using them as map icons, though, so I'll have to think about that, lol.

Edit: Experimenting with a new set of labels that have a border all the way around, will push an update to the library soon if it looks fine.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

I've pushed a library update that resolves this issue. Enjoy. :)

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

kirazy wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:15 pm
I've pushed a library update that resolves this issue. Enjoy. :)
You are amazing! Thanks for the instant fix.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

I appreciate the addition of robot parts. However, with the setting of tiers to "ingredients" (default), the flying robot frame and the construction robot tools are red, while the construction robot brain and the final construction robot are yellow. Same with logistic robots. Higher tiers are similarly inconsistent.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

Hmmmm.

I'll tweak this, I think. This is related to having only 5 tiers to work with, the sets of entities that have 5 don't have tiers based on ingredients. Might need a 6th tier, or to just have the robot parts not be ingredient-tier based.

For what it's worth, this inconsistency is vanilla Bobs, if you look at the color on the interface on the robot brains.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

After some discussion on Discord about a 6th tier, tentatively I'm moving forward with this:

I've also taken the opportunity to improve the tier labels 32px mipmap, and it's crisper/cleaner.

These are the options under consideration, personally I think Violet looks best with the rest of the lineup. The challenge is visual separation from the other colors.
6th-tier-planning-document.png
6th-tier-planning-document.png (758.44 KiB) Viewed 5228 times

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Considering that (currently) the only difference between the highest tiers of robots is the radioisotope thermoelectric generator (RTG) which, apart from those robots, is only used for satellites. Since both satellites and their product (space science packs) are largely white in color, it might make sense to make the highest tiers of robots white, too.

By the way: Is there a reason why the first tier of available logistic chests (with ingredient tiers) is presented as tier 3? After all, it is the same technology level as the first available robots, which are tier 2. So it feels inconsistent.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

valneq wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:31 pm
Considering that (currently) the only difference between the highest tiers of robots is the radioisotope thermoelectric generator (RTG) which, apart from those robots, is only used for satellites. Since both satellites and their product (space science packs) are largely white in color, it might make sense to make the highest tiers of robots white, too.

By the way: Is there a reason why the first tier of available logistic chests (with ingredient tiers) is presented as tier 3? After all, it is the same technology level as the first available robots, which are tier 2. So it feels inconsistent.
White may be a good choice.

Chests are ranked the way they are due to Electronic Circuit Boards which are almost universally at least a tier 3 ingredient. I say almost, because things are messy and inconsistent and there's a lot of bleed between tiers. I can see moving them back to tiers 2-4 with a 6th tier for robots for consistency.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

I would try to make it consistent with the colors associated with the assembling machines. The first tier of logistic chests is the same tech level as assembling machines 3 (steel and white circuits), which are currently presented as being tier 2, or red.
The next higher tier of ingredients (3, blue) is more dominated by more complex metals: brass, aluminium, kobalt steel, invar – but the next level of circuits (logic boards) appears at tier 4, or purple.
I am not sure what you mean with "bleed" between tiers.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

valneq wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:33 pm
I am not sure what you mean with "bleed" between tiers.
For example:

Steel plates are in ASM 1 and 2,
Steel gears in Asm 2,
Steel bearings in ASm 3

All of those items are in Steam Engine 2.

Electronic circuit boards are in Asm 2 and 3.

Essentially there's not a clear demarcation between each class/tier of materials, there's some that are in what could be considered "lower" tiers, and some that could be considered "higher" tiers. So ingredient-mapped is not as straightforward as name-mapped is.

But I appreciate the feedback, this sort of feedback is exactly what I was looking for. :D

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

I never thought of steel plates and steel gears or steel bearings to be of different tiers. They become available pretty much at the same time in the tech tree.

And I don't think there is any reason why higher tier items should not be able to require a mix of different tier materials. The tier of the final item should, however, always be defined by the highest tier of ingredient required. Using assembling machines as a guideline should make "ingredient tiers" largely straightforward. Of course there are materials that are never an ingredient to assembling machines. But for those you should be able to find consistent tiers by equating their tier with an item that is an ingredient to assembling machines and that becomes unlocked at a similar depth in the tech tree or has a similar complexity of production chain.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

valneq wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:47 pm
I never thought of steel plates and steel gears or steel bearings to be of different tiers. They become available pretty much at the same time in the tech tree.

And I don't think there is any reason why higher tier items should not be able to require a mix of different tier materials. The tier of the final item should, however, always be defined by the highest tier of ingredient required. Using assembling machines as a guideline should make "ingredient tiers" largely straightforward. Of course there are materials that are never an ingredient to assembling machines. But for those you should be able to find consistent tiers by equating their tier with an item that is an ingredient to assembling machines and that becomes unlocked at a similar depth in the tech tree or has a similar complexity of production chain.
If you apply this strictly, vehicle fusion reactors 1-3 are all tier 4, and fusion reactors 4-6 are all tier 5.

shields are tiers 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5

It is, in general, reasonably straightforward, but there are messy exceptions when you're trying to balance usable tier labels and ingredient-based labels.

What I'm saying is that 5 or 6 labels aren't enough to capture the level of granularity necessary, so some compromises are necessary. I will agree that the logistic bots, ports, chests, and parts should all line up.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

I see. Hrm … I never think too much about equipment. It feels like that stuff is more or less following its own logic, because at some point it requires modules, which are not very well separated by ingredient tiers. However, if you find a consistent way to put the different modules into ingredient tiers (maybe because of the different gems) then you could find a global mapping of ingredients to tiers. But you are right, you will probably end up with something like 10 or 12 tiers of global ingredient tiers. That might make things more confusing than anything else.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

I have an issue with shadows. Not sure if Angel's mods or this one is causing it. See screenshot:
Strand Casting machine casting shadow onto copper pipe
Strand Casting machine casting shadow onto copper pipe
strand_casting_shadow.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 5134 times
[edit] It also happens without Artisanal Reskins, but just with Angel+Bob. So please disregard. Reported to Angel's mods.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

This is an Angel's bug related to having the shadow be part of the entity instead of a separate layer coded with draw_as_shadow. :[ The game renders entities over other entities based on x/y coordinates, so an entity closer to the bottom of the screen his a higher draw order than entities further up, which the pipe is.

When I get to making the Angels reskin I will fix this. :>

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

kirazy wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:45 pm
This is an Angel's bug related to having the shadow be part of the entity instead of a separate layer coded with draw_as_shadow. :[ The game renders entities over other entities based on x/y coordinates, so an entity closer to the bottom of the screen his a higher draw order than entities further up, which the pipe is.

When I get to making the Angels reskin I will fix this. :>
Thanks for clarifying it here.

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Hey there, the slider for the comparison doesn't work for me.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

DarkShadow44 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:07 pm
Hey there, the slider for the comparison doesn't work for me.
Hm. It works for me, but I couldn't do anything about it if it didn't. It's not my site, just a site I found.

Edit: It only works for me. Fun times. I will pull that for now.

Return to “Bob's mods”