Friday Facts #355 - High resolution updates

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #355 - High resolution updates

Post by FactorioBot »

Enderdraak
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #355 - High resolution updates

Post by Enderdraak »

the mines look great, but sinds they explode would it not make more sence to have some scorched earth and the parts at the edges of that burn mark?

tjoener
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tjoener »

I wonder what the assembly machine redesign is going to look like :)

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

I'm a bit surprised that so much of the land mine is left behind considering that, you know, they're kinda supposed to explode.

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

Oil puddle could really have some animation. Maybe some bubbles? It isn't very repeatative object in game, so it would be acceptable, I suppose.

Also: Landmine remnants? Really? Shouldn't they end up shattered and scattered over the area?
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "Π˜Ρ‰Ρƒ, тСряя" (rus, 2013)

Galapagon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Galapagon »

Huge bummer that assembler won't be ready for 1.0 since it's one of the most used assets of the game, but since it's one of the most used assets in the game it's better to have it miss 1.0 than be rushed

bullipatty
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bullipatty »

so how long, till you realize the power switch animation is to slow and you'll update it?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

bullipatty wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:38 pm
so how long, till you realize the power switch animation is to slow and you'll update it?
Nobody has made a bug report about any such issue, you could be the one to do that

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Klonan wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:24 pm
Nobody has made a bug report about any such issue, you could be the one to do that
And once you'll have made the bug report, I'll move it to Ideas and Suggestion, because something working as intended is not a bug :mrgreen:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Koub wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:34 pm
And once you'll have made the bug report, I'll move it to Ideas and Suggestion, because something working as intended is not a bug :mrgreen:
It is possible the animation is running too slowly, we had a bug for a long time with accumulator animation on maps with a high playtime (very high tick, causing float imprecision, etc)

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

Thank you for the news. Feels good to have confirmation on the upcoming assembler redesign, even if it's after 1.0.

I'll make a thread in suggestion section for the animated oil well, since it's not a #1 priority right now.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Koub wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:34 pm
Way to go on killing bug report motivation :P.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: ζ—₯本θͺž, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

tankcat
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tankcat »

I think the slowdown capsule should be blue seeing as how blue is usually representative of chilling or time based slowdown effect. (Although I imagine Factorio is using some sort of adhesive) But the poison capsule is blue. Poison is traditionally green or purple but since green is for nuclear how about making poison capsules purple instead? It is pretty common in games, like how red barrels are explosive.

bullipatty
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bullipatty »

fun fact, i just noticed that it's already testable and it looks exactly like anticipated. when the signal flickers, it doesn't seem to connect at all :roll:
and i'm really worried about the fact, that this kind of quite obvious design flaw happens much more often lately :(

meganothing
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by meganothing »

Galapagon wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:17 pm
Huge bummer that assembler won't be ready for 1.0 since it's one of the most used assets of the game, but since it's one of the most used assets in the game it's better to have it miss 1.0 than be rushed
Whatever they do won't have a chance against the old graphics we learned to love in the last 7 years. I suspect they are already having panic attacks when thinking about that patch :lol:

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

imo if you push the date a bit you could probably use that time to make the assembly machine polish finishes you wanted, after all you wanted to bring 1.0 out before cyberpunk came out in September, but since it's been pushed back yet again, you could take that time back and get more work done, as you have said, it's done when it's done.

as for the mine remnants, i have to agree, they do explode, it should probably leave a crater and only a small bit of the mine remnant remaining, perhaps a 1/4 or a 1/6th of the bit. just enough so you can tell what it is. perhaps scatter mini bits of the mine around the area? something similar to the grenade/rocket explosions?

as for the power switch, here i thought the animation was not too slow, but too fast, as i would like to actually see it move, but maybe thats just me wanting to enjoy the animation a bit longer. as long as the switch function is on when the signal says go on and off when the signal says off, the animation of the actual switch is whatever you decide for the animation to be imo.

and finally the crude oil spots, if you ask me i can't tell the difference really, but if you add the bubbles someone suggested, THEN it will definitely have a new high rez look, as for performance, you have the trees flowing, and the bubbles don't have to do much animation, and since there is so few of them on the map (in most cases) the performance impact wont be that much imo.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Philip017 wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:04 pm
imo if you push the date a bit you could probably use that time to make the assembly machine polish finishes you wanted, after all you wanted to bring 1.0 out before cyberpunk came out in September, but since it's been pushed back yet again, you could take that time back and get more work done, as you have said, it's done when it's done.
This woudln't be only that. Considering the also postponed update for the fluid mechanics and the blueprint library there is no good reason to push one out and delay the rest. Then one the other hand none of this is to unfinished or crude to not be included in the 1.0 in its current state, IMO.
as for the mine remnants, i have to agree, they do explode, it should probably leave a crater and only a small bit of the mine remnant remaining, perhaps a 1/4 or a 1/6th of the bit. just enough so you can tell what it is. perhaps scatter mini bits of the mine around the area? something similar to the grenade/rocket explosions?
I find the new remnant is clearly showing that something has gone of, most likely even if zoomed out. This should be good for visual reference.
Though remnats beeing placed into craters of adequate size, might be more "logical".

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

There are still more graphical updates coming in the following few weeks, but this is it for the high resolution updates.
Equipment sprites (the ones for when the equipment is in the grid) are getting a high-res pass, right? D:

Nomadic Steppe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nomadic Steppe »

This reminded me of a doubt, why are landmines counted as destroyed units? I find it strange that a suicide object is counted as destroyed by the enemy xD

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

as you have said, it's done when it's done.
After years of pushing the release back by couple of months, some (or maybe all) have realized this game will never be finished.
If it takes us 3.5 years to redo all the graphics in the game, there will be always 3.5 year old art that will not look exactly on par with the newest stuff. Not to mention, many people are not excited about the newest stuff. So let's just get 1.0 over with, finally take some time off and then see what new things can we make instead of constantly redoing things that are already done.

Return to β€œNews”