[0.18.34] Fluid systems propagate through machine inputs

Things that has been reported already before.
TerraSleet
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.18.34] Fluid systems propagate through machine inputs

Post by TerraSleet »

The Fluid system GUI shows that fluid systems connect through a machine's inputs, despite machines not being able to output through their inputs. This causes issues with manual placement of pipes when a machine is receiving an incorrect input through one of its sides, despite fluids not being able to mix in this way. This has little impact on regular gameplay besides not being able to place certain pipes without bots, but can confuse players when building compact setups.
Screenshot (10).png
Screenshot (10).png (3.05 MiB) Viewed 1211 times
Screenshot (9).png
Screenshot (9).png (3.02 MiB) Viewed 1211 times

I originally discovered this bug during a modded playthrough, but further testing revealed it happens in vanilla. Here's another more complicated example from the Space Exploration mod, where the Hypercooler (purplish-blue structure) is propagating the incorrect input from the Manufactory (giant assembly structure), preventing manual placement of a pipe behind it:
Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (5).png (2.53 MiB) Viewed 1211 times
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(6.94 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.18.34] Fluid systems propagate through machine inputs

Post by invisus »

I think this is more fallout from the fluid mixing simplifications from FFF-351.

In short, I think the fluid boxes of the same fluid type are shared. And you've "tainted" one of the inputs already, hence the other input is also tainted.

Fix the problem (source of fluid mixing), flush the pipes if needed, and go about your business.

Seems like a possible dupe of:

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

invisus wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:13 pm
I think this is more fallout from the fluid mixing simplifications from FFF-351.

In short, I think the fluid boxes of the same fluid type are shared. And you've "tainted" one of the inputs already, hence the other input is also tainted.

Fix the problem (source of fluid mixing), flush the pipes if needed, and go about your business.

Yes.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

TerraSleet
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TerraSleet »

invisus wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:13 pm

Here's the issue though: there's not a source of fluid mixing. Machines don't output fluids through their input ports, nor do they accept bad inputs. The top input port's pipe contains Lubricant, the bottom input port's pipe is empty. However the bottom input port's pipe is treated as if it contains lubricant (as shown in the fluid system GUI), when it's impossible for lubricant to pass through the machine's input port into the lower pipe. The issue linked shows someone mistakenly replacing a pipe and causing fluid mixing, but if I place the red pipe with bots there is no mixing and everything works fine.

For this reason, I don't think this is a duplicate of the issue you linked, but is related to the fluid mixing changes. Regardless it's probably not worth fixing as it only causes inconvenience and confusion when building highly compact setups that can cause machines to clash ports like this, and you can still use bots to build the pipes instead of manual placement.

Return to “Duplicates”