Question about train stations and cricut network!

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
jaydon382
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Question about train stations and cricut network!

Post by jaydon382 »

So i am trying to enable the first station and disable and second station by default then when a train stops at the first station it will enable the second station and when both trains leave it will reset back to only have the first station enabled.

Is that possible?

Second question im trying to setup my rails so that it has lights that run along the tracks and turn on within a radius of the train so that i can tell when trains are coming but i cant seem to find any guides. Is that possible too?

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Question about train stations and cricut network!

Post by netmand »

1) yes, by measuring the train ID of the 1st station to enable the second.
2) yes, hook lights to the signal for the block.

jaydon382
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jaydon382 »

netmand wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:58 pm
Cool thank you! So i used the method to enable the second station but now there is a problem where, when the first train leave the second train goes the the first station.

Which kind of breaks what i wanted, so is there a way to set the stations up where they alternate so a train will go to station 1 which then will activate station 2 and disable station 1 after the train leaves station 1, then when the train finishes at station 2 the trian will leave and then activate the first station again while disabling station 2, essentially alternating without kicking the trains out.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

jaydon382 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:38 am
netmand wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:58 pm
Cool thank you! So i used the method to enable the second station but now there is a problem where, when the first train leave the second train goes the the first station.

Which kind of breaks what i wanted, so is there a way to set the stations up where they alternate so a train will go to station 1 which then will activate station 2 and disable station 1 after the train leaves station 1, then when the train finishes at station 2 the trian will leave and then activate the first station again while disabling station 2, essentially alternating without kicking the trains out.
Perhaps you could do it this way:
  • Train with ID x arrives at A. B opens.
  • A transmits x to B.
  • B stores x in memory cell.
  • B checks whether A is open or memory cell contains a value >0 and closes if both conditions are false.
  • Train leaves A. A and B remain open
  • Train arrives at B. If Train ID == x, reset memory cell.
  • Train with ID x leaves B. B closes down.
Of course, that could break if there are junctions between A and B so that another train could arrive at B before Train x. In this case, train x probably would wait before B until it's free. But it still would enter the station because the memory cell keeps it open.

This should also work if another train arrives at A before train x has arrived at B.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

Yes, you need an SR latch. There are examples on the factorio Wiki.

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

This looks like a 2-stop case of this thread which had multiple designs for enabling one stop at a time in a station:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=85900&p=498402#p498402

You'll find discussion of approaches along with a few submissions of blueprints...

Which approach is best depends on what you are trying to accomplish underneath -- balance unloading/loading? Perhaps just activate a stop if it has enough goods to fill a train, or to only activate if it has enough space to unload... ?
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

Return to “Gameplay Help”