[posila] [0.18.33] Windows - ASIO Reset

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Owoshima
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[posila] [0.18.33] Windows - ASIO Reset

Post by Owoshima »

As far as I know this only pertains to Windows, or any OS that uses ASIO for audio.

Every so often when I play Factorio after a random amount of time my ASIO drivers will disable/reset themselves and I will lose audio output, forcing me to have to manually go to the driver's settings and reset it's "grab".

The ASIO program I use is ASIO LINK PRO, and here is a screenshot below:

I have circled the RESET parameter that I have to press when I lose audio from Factorio.
This is annoying because if I'm on a group call, Discord, I will also lose audio from Discord itself, thus forcing me to have to leave and re-enter the call after resetting.

I've never had this problem with another game and it makes streaming it with my friends all the more difficult. I also want to note that I have not had this problem before when 0.17 was finalized, neither in the 0.17.X phases. This seems to purely be a 0.18.0-0.18.X thing.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.18.33] Windows - ASIO Reset

Post by Rseding91 »

Something to note: audio hasn't changed in years. We still use the same code from 0.14 and before in all the versions you mentioned.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Owoshima
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.18.33] Windows - ASIO Reset

Post by Owoshima »

That's very interesting to know!
I'll have to keep looking at it on my end, I've used the same audio setup for years that's why I mentioned it was only affecting me recently.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [posila] [0.18.33] Windows - ASIO Reset

Post by posila »

I am gonna enable secondary audio backend so we have an option to at least attemt to give a workaround for issues like this.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [posila] [0.18.33] Windows - ASIO Reset

Post by posila »

Moving to Technical help.

For 0.18.37 I added hidden option to used different audio backend (default is DirectSound, alternative is WASAPI over SDL audio). It has some issues with playing the same sound multiple times overlapping itself (like when you are building stuff by dragging), so it might be preferable to deal with ASIO resets, but I'd be also interested to know if the alternative audio backend even solves the issue for you.

When 0.18.37 is released, you can enable it by opening Factorio properties in Steam library and setting launch options to

Code: Select all

--audio-driver=sdl

Return to “Technical Help”