indicator for mines that ran out of deposits

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Depleted mines: Status icon

Post by dood »

Omnifarious wrote:
Wizard Marcos wrote:Good news, you can connect to the circuit network and it outputs the amount of resources left in the whole patch. So you can just wire that to a speaker and have and alert when the patch is depleted.
One thing that can happen is that patches become 'disconnected' when being mined. Basically if, somehow, a wide enough strip through the middle of a patch is depleted it becomes two patches. This can mess with this particular tactic. Though, it will at least tell you when one of the disconnected patches (whichever it happened to be connected to a miner that it was part of) becomes empty, so it doesn't fail in a way that leaves you not being alerted.
Connect all your miners. They're set to output their individual resources left by default.
I didn't know. That's so good.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Yep, that is handy. A stack of speakers is now part of my mine building train. Status icon would still be handy, but this workaround suffices :)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

You could place a light for every quad of miners, connect the 4 miners to it and program it to on when ore = 0.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Also a good idea - but for outposts I generally don't want to go back to them until all the ore is exhausted. A light would be nice for earlier stages of the game, where mines and modules themselves are still a significant cost. Thanks :)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I think for an outpost it might be good to monitor the belts filling the buffer chests and sound a warning when they aren't compressed anymore. Because at that point ore production will slowly wind down till the field is empty. But it's already time to start a new outpost.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

Aeternus wrote:Status icon would still be handy
You can assign an icon to alarms from speakers and even click it to jump to the source of the alarm.

As for "no more production" icons on single miners, bottleneck is your friend.
If you're arguing for bottleneck to be vanillafied, sure.

huwp
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Indicate depleted miners

Post by huwp »

TL;DR
Show visually when a miner has no more ore left.
What ?
When a miner has no ore left to dig up, either switch over to a "finished" animation, or show a new alert icon.
Why ?
It's hard to tell the difference between a miner that's waiting for belt space and a miner that has no work left.

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Indicate depleted miners

Post by QGamer »

"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub]Merged into older topic with same suggestion
Edit : there may be some mods that can help until this feature is added (if it is added :)) :
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/mindmix/AutoDeconstruct
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: indicator for mines that ran out of deposits

Post by bobingabout »

Come to think of it, some kind of warning indicator above any mining drill (of any type, including pumpjacks) that is no longer sitting on a resource would be a good thing.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

kovarex wrote:I can't disagree :)
I just need to find some good icon for that ...
Dont need, just do it like the mod for it.. mark it for deconstruction. Simple and easy.

huwp
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by huwp »

Bump! Please can this indicator be done for 1.0?

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

The redesigned mining drill (see Friday Facts 350, released with version 0.18.31) has these indicators. The new mining drill now has little lights that are green (working), yellow (waiting for output), or red (no resources). Most easy to see at night time. Although one can argue that they are really not easy to see.

For obvious reasons: when it has no power, there is no light – instead it has a regular (no power) warning icon like any other powered structure.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Rereading this thread I had a thought.

Instead of an indicator for mines that ran out of deposits why not have the ALT view show the icon for the ore the miner will mine? No ore icon shown == ran out of deposits.

The benefit of this would be that even if all the ore is covered by the miner you could still see what it mines at a glance. Or for miners covering mixed ores you see what it will produce next.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

kovarex wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:45 pm
I had other idea.
What if mining drills that mined everything would just become rusty ruins of the miner instead.
The player could mine the ruins for some almost useless resources, so he would usually leave those mining sites there, this would play nicely with the game atmosphere.
...piles of rust left behind in nice neat rows alongside beacons blaring away their modification signals influencing, nothing.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

netmand wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:09 pm
kovarex wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:45 pm
I had other idea.
What if mining drills that mined everything would just become rusty ruins of the miner instead.
The player could mine the ruins for some almost useless resources, so he would usually leave those mining sites there, this would play nicely with the game atmosphere.
...piles of rust left behind in nice neat rows alongside beacons blaring away their modification signals influencing, nothing.
by kovarex » 14 Jun 2013 01:45
(just in case you didn't notice ^^)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”