Map icons hidden behind electricity cables

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Map icons hidden behind electricity cables

Post by Xorimuth »

When viewing the map, the icons are hidden behind the blue electric cable lines, making them very hard to see.

I imagine that this is by design, but I would prefer it the other way round, and I wondered if it had been properly considered by the devs.
Screenshot 2020-02-15 at 23.47.27.png
Screenshot 2020-02-15 at 23.47.27.png (464.42 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
factorio-current.log
(9.96 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Last edited by Xorimuth on Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.18.6] Map icons hidden behind electricity cables

Post by valneq »

[sarcasm]
Just toggle the visualization of pollution, then you will see neither power cables, nor icons :-P
[/sarcasm]

But seriously: The OP is right, the layering of objects rendered on the map needs some rethinking. Hope the devs will address this.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

valneq wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:47 am
[sarcasm]
Just toggle the visualization of pollution, then you will see neither power cables, nor icons :-P
[/sarcasm]

But seriously: The OP is right, the layering of objects rendered on the map needs some rethinking. Hope the devs will address this.
Yes, the map views in general are a bit problematic. I don't think that it is necessarily possible to create a way to view roboport range, pollution and turret range simultaneously without it being a mess though. However, putting icons on top of everything else (besides text) seems like an obvious change. I think that power cables should come next. The final 3 have transparencies associated, so they're a bit harder.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Also confusing: while the names of train stations are drawn above the red pollution cloud, the circles indicating their position are drawn below, turning pink.

DudebroPyro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Map icons hidden behind electricity cables

Post by DudebroPyro »

I would actually disagree. Consider that both pieces of information are useful: a player might wish to see the exact layout of their electric grid at that spot, and they might wish to know of the map marker. One has to overlay the other. If the electric grid is on top, it can be toggled on and off with a single click, and can be kept off except when explicitly needed. On the other hand, if the marker is on top, and you want to look at the electric connections, you either have to delete the marker and then re-make it, or physically make your way there to observe the build in person.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

DudebroPyro wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:01 pm
I would actually disagree. Consider that both pieces of information are useful: a player might wish to see the exact layout of their electric grid at that spot, and they might wish to know of the map marker. One has to overlay the other. If the electric grid is on top, it can be toggled on and off with a single click, and can be kept off except when explicitly needed. On the other hand, if the marker is on top, and you want to look at the electric connections, you either have to delete the marker and then re-make it, or physically make your way there to observe the build in person.
Which does not explain why the text belonging to the map marker is rendered on top of the electric network. This sounds like it should actually be made possible to toggle map markers, too.

DudebroPyro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DudebroPyro »

That's a good idea. And if both were toggleable, then it would definitely make sense to have map markers be on top, since it's the information you want to see much more often.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”