Moderator: pyanodon

mrbaggins
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: pY Coal Processing - Discussion

Post by mrbaggins »

mathiaszealot wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:03 pm
If you're nearly up to Navens, why not feed in Fuel Oil? It's a simple conversion from Oil in a DDC with decent MJ value (0.8MJ). It's lossy relative to full oil processing, but it's simple to process and source; all you need is a few DDCs and a small oil field or some drilling fluid.
I'll have a look.

Part of the problem is there's SO MANY options, and they aren't unlocked in order. Tricky to evaluate all of them

For anyone joining, methane sucks, simply because moondrops are so slow. Thought I'd found a neat usecase, but it's not productive enough at low-mid game.

Fuel oil looks good, both from stripped distillates and from crude.

Side note: Is there anyway to use vanilla oil spots? Vanilla pumpjacks are disabled.

ztn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ztn »

have a quick question. i have recipes for py-construction-robot-01,py-construction-robot-02 and py-logistic-robot-02 but i don't have recipe for py-logistic-robot-01 that is prerequisite for py-logistic-robot-02. Even FNEI and Recipe Explorer don't show recipe. how can this be possible and what i need to do to solve the problem?

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

ztn wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:06 am
have a quick question. i have recipes for py-construction-robot-01,py-construction-robot-02 and py-logistic-robot-02 but i don't have recipe for py-logistic-robot-01 that is prerequisite for py-logistic-robot-02. Even FNEI and Recipe Explorer don't show recipe. how can this be possible and what i need to do to solve the problem?
you should. are you using any other mods that might have messed with the robots?

ztn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ztn »

kingarthur wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:13 am
ztn wrote:
you should. are you using any other mods that might have messed with the robots?
no.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

ztn wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:20 am
kingarthur wrote:
ztn wrote:
no.
Can you send you save file to me then. I've looked and everything seems fine on my end.

ztn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ztn »

kingarthur wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:24 am
ztn wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:20 am
kingarthur wrote:
ztn wrote:
no.
Can you send you save file to me then. I've looked and everything seems fine on my end.
save file https://cloud.mail.ru/public/26Ly/4Vaf6b7Ho
i even for tests delete all mods and start new game to see if recipe appears but no https://puu.sh/FzW5z/c28db89f43.png

update: for another tests i install standalone 0.17 version of factorio to see if the problem exists in past. instal only single mod pyindustry. still no crafting recipe for py-logistic-robot-01.

update2: another test with oldest version i can download from portal (1.0.15 1 year, 1 month ago) - still same results

mathiaszealot
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mathiaszealot »

mrbaggins wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:21 am
mathiaszealot wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:03 pm
If you're nearly up to Navens, why not feed in Fuel Oil? It's a simple conversion from Oil in a DDC with decent MJ value (0.8MJ). It's lossy relative to full oil processing, but it's simple to process and source; all you need is a few DDCs and a small oil field or some drilling fluid.
I'll have a look.

Part of the problem is there's SO MANY options, and they aren't unlocked in order. Tricky to evaluate all of them

For anyone joining, methane sucks, simply because moondrops are so slow. Thought I'd found a neat usecase, but it's not productive enough at low-mid game.

Fuel oil looks good, both from stripped distillates and from crude.

Side note: Is there anyway to use vanilla oil spots? Vanilla pumpjacks are disabled.
If you're up to date with updates, they're disabled much like vanilla coal at this point and there's no way to use vanilla oil.

Methane via Moondrops is pretty bad. The other sub-mods make some improvements available: If you have it enabled, PyPH has some other methods of getting Methane at scale around the blue science tier that might be useful if you can manage the fluid flow. PyAL has some alternative recipes for Moondrops that produce gasoline, diesel, and kerosene, though I haven't looked at the kind of scale necessary for practical use yet.

Good Luck!

mrbaggins
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mrbaggins »

Yeah, ran it from methane for all of two tanks lol. Switched to finding an oil outpost which converts to fuel oil on site and using that for now.

Trebor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Trebor »

I just tried some (that is no all) of Py mods and had a problem as I couldn't make red science (Automation science packs) because I didn't have any coke. With a little research I found that Py Coal changes the recipe for red science to require coke but doesn't give you a recipe for coke until after several research steps. This is easily reproducible by only using Py Coal.

Since others are successfully doing research using Py mods I'm thinking there may be a dependency missing from Py Coal that will either allow coke from the start or have another red science recipe that does not require coke.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Trebor wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:16 am
I just tried some (that is no all) of Py mods and had a problem as I couldn't make red science (Automation science packs) because I didn't have any coke. With a little research I found that Py Coal changes the recipe for red science to require coke but doesn't give you a recipe for coke until after several research steps. This is easily reproducible by only using Py Coal.

Since others are successfully doing research using Py mods I'm thinking there may be a dependency missing from Py Coal that will either allow coke from the start or have another red science recipe that does not require coke.
You should be able to make coke from coal in a destructive distillation column

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immortal_sniper1 »

there is also coal >coke in HPF
and biomass >coke also in HPF
not sure about the tech lvl tho but DDC recipe should be there

Collosus2749
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Collosus2749 »

Hello Pyanodon!

I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for you and those who have helped make your mods a reality.

I love this game and I just found your mod suite less than a week ago and it breathes new life into factorio. Thank you for all of the amazing content and I wish you the best!

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Collosus2749 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:18 am
Hello Pyanodon!

I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for you and those who have helped make your mods a reality.

I love this game and I just found your mod suite less than a week ago and it breathes new life into factorio. Thank you for all of the amazing content and I wish you the best!
Thank you! Hope it can bring several hours of fun to you. :)
pY Coal processing mod
Discord: Pyanodon #5791

vaendryl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vaendryl »

> - Rebalanced ddc raw coal to give more coal gas and tar.

oof, I had -just- started upgrading my coal refining xD

I like the change, but now the coke->coal gas recipe is even more pathetic in comparison.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

vaendryl wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:13 am
> - Rebalanced ddc raw coal to give more coal gas and tar.

oof, I had -just- started upgrading my coal refining xD

I like the change, but now the coke->coal gas recipe is even more pathetic in comparison.
its not supposed to be good. raw coal got boasted to offset the cost of glassworks given you need the glassworks for science to unlock better coal processing to actually get coal from raw coal and not just a bunch of gas

Baughn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Baughn »

The destructive distillation machine (aka, the first coal processing tool we have) makes a high-pitched noise that with my headphones is downright painful, and feels like it's provoking tinnitus.

Could that possibly be changed?

Damage
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Damage »

Baughn wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:29 pm
The destructive distillation machine (aka, the first coal processing tool we have) makes a high-pitched noise that with my headphones is downright painful, and feels like it's provoking tinnitus.

Could that possibly be changed?
I too use headphones, but I do not have a high-pitched noise with the DDC. Perhaps something is wrong with your headphone and/or audio setup?

Baughn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Baughn »

Definitely not. Your headphones and/or ears might be missing it; it's up at 8kHz, as you can see here:

I took the liberty to apply a low-pass filter to the existing sounds;

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -af lowpass=f=1000
. You can see the results here: https://brage.info/factorio/squeal/sounds/

Compare the two versions of distillator.ogg

vaendryl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vaendryl »

Baughn wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:08 pm

Compare the two versions of distillator.ogg
I do hear it now that you've pointed it out. hadn't bothered me so far but I'm very sure it will now :S.

Damage
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Damage »

Baughn wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:08 pm
Definitely not. Your headphones and/or ears might be missing it; it's up at 8kHz, as you can see here:

(snip)
I guess I am blessed with ears that do not hear the high pitched noise, though I wonder if that's really a blessing or rather a curse... :?

The post processing one does sound very muffled though. My sound card driver let's me setup EQ-profiles, perhaps setting up a specific profile for Factorio might be a solution?

Return to “PyMods”