[kovarex][0.18.32] "Train ghosts must be built on rails" when it should work

Things that has been reported already before.
paynen_diaz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[kovarex][0.18.32] "Train ghosts must be built on rails" when it should work

Post by paynen_diaz »

It just got a lot harder to place train ghosts. While I have a train in my hand moving the mouse near a track causes the image of the train to snap to the track and I can place it. While placing a blueprint (with no rails in it) or a ghost from the Q picker I get "Train ghosts must be built on rails" most of the time. There seems to be a small sweet spot, but about 75% of the green "snap" area fails. If the blueprint contains rails then the rail spacing forces the ghost into the correct location and it works.

Old behavior: Anywhere the ghost appears green is a valid place to click to place a train ghost.
New behavior: Only a tiny fraction of the area where the ghost appears green is a valid place to click to place a train ghost.

The attached log contains the mods I was using, but the behavior is exactly the same with no mods.
TrainPlacementProblem_small.jpg
TrainPlacementProblem_small.jpg (109.79 KiB) Viewed 4593 times
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(9.91 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

reduke
Inserter
Inserter

Re: "Train ghosts must be built on rails" [0.18.32]

Post by reduke »

Thanks for reporting this, I get the same issue, just a tad annoying and weird. :/

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: "Train ghosts must be built on rails" [0.18.32]

Post by disentius »

ditto.

reduke
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.18.32] "Train ghosts must be built on rails" when it should work

Post by reduke »

As an addendum - the vertical mouse placement (for horizontal rails), seems to be the only thing that matters, and vice versa. The horizontal mouse placement on horizontal rails (and vertical on vertical), seems to make no difference at all.

reduke
Inserter
Inserter

Post by reduke »

Addendum 2:

-Building (non-blueprint) wagon/train ghosts on diagonal rails seems to be impossible (although I'm not sure if I've ever tried this before TBH).

-Building (non-blueprint) wagon/train ghosts on vertical rails also seems to be impossible, but works on horizontal.

-Building (non-blueprint) wagon/train ghosts on curved rails is only possible for some curve alignments. For example - left horizontal to right down diagonal is possible, but top vertical to right down diagonal is not possible.

For all of these scenarios that work, it has the same precision problem as previously posted. For all of these scenarios that do not work, no error is produced at all.

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by imajor »

I also have the same issue. It feels to me, that the success depends on how close do you click to the center line of the track. If the cursor is somewhat further away, the green train snaps, and it supposed to build, but it is not, I'm getting the error message. But if I try to move the cursor closer to the center line of the track, it seems to be working. This iseems to be the same for both horizontal and vertical tracks.

moogal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by moogal »

reduke wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:36 am
-Building (non-blueprint) wagon/train ghosts on vertical rails also seems to be impossible, but works on horizontal.

se scenarios that work, it has the same precision problem as previously posted. For all of these scenarios that do not work, no error is produced at all.
I've just managed to build a non-blueprint train on vertical rail but it took a *lot* of clicking to find the sweet spot where it would actually place the vehicle. This is certainly a regression of the behaviour in previous versions.

bormand
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bormand »

Try to make a blueprint that contains a train and some entities, but not rails. It starts to behave very weird. All entities are moved as you move the cursor. But train stays snapped to the rail. Looks like trains ghosts are visually snapped to the rails, but in reality they don't. And you can place such a blueprint only if real position of the train fits onto the rail. That explains why it's so hard to find that sweet spot.

P.S. The issue is still actual for 0.18.36

Syhn
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [kovarex][0.18.32] "Train ghosts must be built on rails" when it should work

Post by Syhn »

I ran into this in 0.18.45. Here's a short clip demonstrating the problem.
Peek 2020-08-07 11-29.mp4
(828.97 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [kovarex][0.18.32] "Train ghosts must be built on rails" when it should work

Post by boskid »

This appears to be fixed by 87656 for 1.1.0.

Return to “Duplicates”