[0.18] Please post bugs and balance issues here.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

alexander11095
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.18] Please post bugs and balance issues here.

Post by alexander11095 »

Server join mismatch with bob power.

Code: Select all

Mods mismatch detected!bobpower: Mod contents are different even though versions are the same. The most common cause of this is improper Mod Setting usage (conditionally requiring files based on mod settings). This can also be caused by modifying a mod files on the client or server but not the other.
Factorio version 0.18.30

Issue:
Attempting to join a steam server with bob's power mod gives this error message and am unable to join it. Deleted the mods folder and automatically downloaded mods from the Factorio client, but even with a clean mods folder and downloads the issue persists. There seems to be no issue on the server or on my client programme. Suspected it might be a mod side issue?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

alexander11095 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:45 pm
Server join mismatch with bob power.

Mods mismatch detected!bobpower: Mod contents are different even though versions are the same. The most common cause of this is improper Mod Setting usage (conditionally requiring files based on mod settings). This can also be caused by modifying a mod files on the client or server but not the other.
Factorio version 0.18.30

Issue:
Attempting to join a steam server with bob's power mod gives this error message and am unable to join it. Deleted the mods folder and automatically downloaded mods from the Factorio client, but even with a clean mods folder and downloads the issue persists. There seems to be no issue on the server or on my client programme. Suspected it might be a mod side issue?
I have had the issue of "conditionally requiring files based on mod settings" which I'm sure I don't do, but will check.

The other option is most likely, whoever the host is has edited (modded) the mod, which is giving you that error. Some people do run custom edits of my mods.

EDIT: Found a conditional require, so, I'll fix that for the next release.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

evandy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by evandy »

Beacons do not seem to upgrade with a (default) upgrade planner. They work fine if I make one specifically for them, but not if I just click the green button & drag it over the beacons...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

evandy wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:40 am
Beacons do not seem to upgrade with a (default) upgrade planner. They work fine if I make one specifically for them, but not if I just click the green button & drag it over the beacons...
Somebody pointed that out to me on the mod portal.
I've fixed it in the mod, but not released it yet. It will be in the next update run, but I'm not sure when that will be, I've spent the last week re-working GUIs.
I also have a Patreon.

mrudat
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mrudat »

angelsrefining + bobplates fails against a perfectly valid technology defined in Perfectly Valid Prototypes, original bug report here.

The specific issue is that it is failing against a perfectly valid technology like the following:

data:extend{
  {
    type = "technology",
    expensive = nil,
    normal = {
    	unit = { ... }
    }
  }
}

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

mrudat wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:02 am
angelsrefining + bobplates fails against a perfectly valid technology defined in Perfectly Valid Prototypes, original bug report here.

The specific issue is that it is failing against a perfectly valid technology like the following:

{
    type = "technology",
    expensive = nil,
    normal = {
    	unit = { ... }
    }
  }
}
I would take a guess that it's because bob's library doesn't even attempt to look at expensive/normal in regards to technology right now, it only does that for Recipes.
I also have a Patreon.

Spaceroks
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Spaceroks »

Error in 0.18.31
bobs_mining_0.18.31_bug.png
bobs_mining_0.18.31_bug.png (36.3 KiB) Viewed 5523 times

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Spaceroks wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:27 pm
Error in 0.18.31

bobs_mining_0.18.31_bug.png
fixed
I also have a Patreon.

Kiu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kiu »

Hi Bob,

I think there are two minor balancing issues at the moment:

Amethysts:
Besides personal/vehicle lasers, there is nothing that uses them, and those things are not needed much (no research is using one of these in any way). If you have at least one use for those thing, the personal game balancing can be done by the player in the settings if needed. But in the current state, in the long term you can just destroy them to get rid of them (needed 12 of those in the last 10h of late game play, compared to 2300 diamonds).

Sodium chloride (hope I translated it right, stuff you need in the lithium processing):
Not sure if the extensive H2 you get there is intended, but the 60 you get there are even hard to vent, so you don't even try to get some use for that at all. I needed 4 vents to get one processing working without electrolyzer work without problems. So you have no need for that byproduct (you get already get extensive amounts by the other processes) and it is no problem to get rid of it (you just vent), so you could reduce the amount to something someone could at least try to find some use for.

And one small additional thing with the plasma cannon (vehicle):
While the added firing sound is nice, in my opinion it is to long. The firing speed of the gun combined with the very long sound results in just some static noise while you are near anything enemy, more or less removing every other sound for the next 5-10 seconds.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Kiu wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:17 pm
Hi Bob,

I think there are two minor balancing issues at the moment:

Amethysts:
Besides personal/vehicle lasers, there is nothing that uses them, and those things are not needed much (no research is using one of these in any way). If you have at least one use for those thing, the personal game balancing can be done by the player in the settings if needed. But in the current state, in the long term you can just destroy them to get rid of them (needed 12 of those in the last 10h of late game play, compared to 2300 diamonds).
Yeah, I've been meaning to do a gems overhaul in quite some time, it's just that other things seems to take priority
Kiu wrote:
Sodium chloride (hope I translated it right, stuff you need in the lithium processing):
Not sure if the extensive H2 you get there is intended, but the 60 you get there are even hard to vent, so you don't even try to get some use for that at all. I needed 4 vents to get one processing working without electrolyzer work without problems. So you have no need for that byproduct (you get already get extensive amounts by the other processes) and it is no problem to get rid of it (you just vent), so you could reduce the amount to something someone could at least try to find some use for.
Sodium Chloride is salt. Ordinary salt. You make it by boiling water in a chemical furnace.
Anyway, it sounds like you have complex recipe mode turned on if you're getting byproducts in strange places. I think you'll find it's something silly like the byproduct is exactly what you need to put into the recipe chain to start with, so you just need pipe this output back to the beginning, and all you need to do is put a bit of hydrogen in the first machine to kickstart the production.
I might be thinking of another process, and this one you actually get less as a byproduct, but to solve that you use a top-up valve from your main hydrogen feed to keep it topped up.
Either way, the excessive byproducts in complex mode were done on purpose.
Kiu wrote:
While the added firing sound is nice, in my opinion it is to long. The firing speed of the gun combined with the very long sound results in just some static noise while you are near anything enemy, more or less removing every other sound for the next 5-10 seconds.
I can't even remember what the sound is right now, somebody suggested it a while back, so I swapped to it.
I also have a Patreon.

Kiu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kiu »

bobingabout wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:54 pm
Yeah, I've been meaning to do a gems overhaul in quite some time, it's just that other things seems to take priority
As long as this is on the backlog, I'm happy. Until then I thing I'll put some fuel value on them and use them in my trains (alot of scifi has some kind of magic power crystals, so... :D)
bobingabout wrote:
Kiu wrote:
Sodium Chloride is salt. Ordinary salt. You make it by boiling water in a chemical furnace.
Anyway, it sounds like you have complex recipe mode turned on if you're getting byproducts in strange places. I think you'll find it's something silly like the byproduct is exactly what you need to put into the recipe chain to start with, so you just need pipe this output back to the beginning, and all you need to do is put a bit of hydrogen in the first machine to kickstart the production.
I might be thinking of another process, and this one you actually get less as a byproduct, but to solve that you use a top-up valve from your main hydrogen feed to keep it topped up.
Either way, the excessive byproducts in complex mode were done on purpose.
Where is the fun without complex mode and SpaceX Megalaunch settings ;)
It was not salt. Seems like Google Translate fooled me. Was one of those two (translation file):
sodium-chlorate=Natriumchlorat
sodium-perchlorate=Natriumperchlorat

I'm fine with that stuff, but it should be something more challenging than "ok, lets put 6 venting things around each machine and its done". And if you start hitting the pipe transfer limit with the first piece of pipe things change from "challenge" to "annoying", because no matter what you do, you are limited by the game mechanics. And I've already nerfed the modules power to about 1/4 of the original, not sure what would happen with the original values...
bobingabout wrote:
Kiu wrote:
I can't even remember what the sound is right now, somebody suggested it a while back, so I swapped to it.
I think its the sound of the electrical charge defense system (never used it)? Could be that the devs changed that from something shorter in the near past. But its around 4-5 seconds long, and you know how fast the mk5 plasma cannon fires. That combination produces a sound mix that will kill your speakers if you are not careful :D

mrudat
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mrudat »

bobingabout wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:42 pm
mrudat wrote:

{
    type = "technology",
    expensive = nil,
    normal = {
    	unit = { ... }
    }
  }
}
I would take a guess that it's because bob's library doesn't even attempt to look at expensive/normal in regards to technology right now, it only does that for Recipes.
I submitted a patch to angel's that appears to make the original issue go away, for future reference, the patch I submitted was basically the following.

Go from something like:

for k,tech in pairs(data.raw.technology) do
  --[[ do stuff to tech...]]
end
To something like:

local function do_stuff_to_tech(k,tech)
end
  local normal = tech.normal
  local expensive = tech.expensive
  if normal or expensive then
    if normal then do_stuff_to_tech(k,normal) end
    if expensive then do_stuff_to_tech(k,expensive) end
  else
    do_stuff_to_tech(k,tech)
  end
end

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

mrudat wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:00 am
bobingabout wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:42 pm
mrudat wrote:

{
    type = "technology",
    expensive = nil,
    normal = {
    	unit = { ... }
    }
  }
}
I submitted a patch to angel's that appears to make the original issue go away, for future reference, the patch I submitted was basically the following.

Go from something like:

end
To something like:

local function do_stuff_to_tech(k,tech)
end
  local normal = tech.normal
  local expensive = tech.expensive
  if normal or expensive then
    if normal then do_stuff_to_tech(k,normal) end
    if expensive then do_stuff_to_tech(k,expensive) end
  else
    do_stuff_to_tech(k,tech)
  end
end
Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind, I mean, I did already do it for recipes.

The problem is that the "do_stuff" part right now is 90%+ of the function, and looking at how I solved the recipes issue, basically did the whole thing 3 times.
But that's mostly just down to the fact that all the functions take just the name of the recipe, then work through it. A better solution would be to move that block of code to it's own function, and just call it 3 times instead (for raw recipe, then again for normal and expensive versions)
in the case of science pack functions, a large block is just to test ingredient[1] vs ingredient.name, I could solve that if I run it through my normalise_ingredient function (part of recipe-functions) that will return it in the format {type = "item", name = "science-pack-1", amount = 1}, internal to the function anyway, which at least lets me just look up ingredient.name and save checks. My technology functions, although check both, always write it out as {"science-pack-1", 1} though.

In either case, I've marked it as high priority but non-trivial, because it's effectively re-writing the way the entire technology file of the library works. (and maybe cleaning up the recipes file while I'm at it), but just because I'm saying I've marked it as a priority doesn't mean it'll happen soon. I marked the "add more error checking" stuff as high-priority, back in something like 0.15, and only did it near the start of the 0.18 run... in any case it's on my to do list.

And that's just looking at the normal functions. There's a large block of functions at the bottom of the the technology file for the prerequisite cleanup system (removes redundant prerequisites), I don't think I'm going to bother re-implementing that to go through normal and expensive too, as redundant prerequisites itself is kind of trivial, and the methods used were "Safe" (Check if prerequisites tag exists before performing any actions on it), and having redundant prerequisites isn't going to break anything, the tech tree will just have a few extra lines on it.
I also have a Patreon.

Swifticuffs
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Swifticuffs »

Really enjoying your modpack. Ran across this error this morning 6/16/20. Had no loading issues yesterday. Uninstall/reinstall had no effect.
Factorio Screenshot 2020.06.16 - 06.55.27.43.png
Factorio Screenshot 2020.06.16 - 06.55.27.43.png (50.24 KiB) Viewed 5289 times

theMightyMan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theMightyMan »

Since the new beacon update bobs mods doesnt load since `__base__/graphics/entity/beacon/beacon-antenna.png` had been removed

EDIT: the image in the post above didnt load before, but thats the same error.

jameinel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jameinel »

I created a quick hack to take the base beacon definition and put it into bob's modules with the tweaks for effective range, number of modules, supply distance, and object health.

It doesn't quite integrate correctly, as it doesn't seem to do module tinting, but that could easily be an issue with the *module* definition vs the *beacon* definition.

Note that fast replace doesn't work, but it didn't before my changes (even though everything has a 'fast_replaceable_group').

It gets my game to load, and AFAICT it is correct. I haven't played the vanilla game to know if the animations are working.
Attachments
beacon.lua
(6.61 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

bobingabout wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:11 am
MeduSalem wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:16 pm
Hey,

I don't know whether to post it here or at Angel's because I don't exactly know who is responsible for the balancing problem, but here it goes:

The Thermal Generator Unit takes way too much Plutinium-239. And the Satellite probably also too many Thermal Generator units.

At least I find it impossible to sustain the Plutonium demand when running a single Rocket Silo fully moduled up with PM8s. I then would need like 2 Centrifuges doing Bobingabout Enrichment Process for additional Plutonium with SM8s but then I ran out of the stocked up Uranium-238 and eventually also out of Uranium ore itself. That said I am using Angel's ores/refinement... that may play into the out of resources issue.

I really think that the 10 Plutonium-239 per Thermal Generator is too much. Even 1 is more than sufficient... and the satelite probably also only 5-10 TGs isntead of 20. Especially since there can't be used any PMs on the Bobingabout Enrichment Process and neither on the Thermal Generator Unit or the Satelite to cut back on resource costs.

The balancing issue really stands out because nothing else is causing that much distress on my factory. :D

Also using the latest Bobs and Angel's versions with the latest Factorio version.
200 Plutonium for a satellite does seem a little high... okay, I'll look into it.
Not sure where you are on this issue... 10 still seems very expensive. Got my "Kovarex enrichment process" up and going full out spitting out tons of Plutonium-235 , and now made a "Bobingabout enrichment process" (nice name) - BUT it takes forever to get started.. Got 8 Uranium reactors providing power (shut down all solar and steam), but plant is so efficient with steam storage that it takes forever to get <used up uranium fuel cell> containers for "Nuclear fuel reprocessing" process. Currently my ONLY way to get Plutonium-239 (at 80% change for every 10 empty containers (got 8 power plants, remember).

Now EACH of these Centrifuge 3 takes 40 P-239 to start and will gobble up about 90 before next machine in the line gets any at all. Takes FOREVER to get process up and running. When it's up on all machines it spits out prette ok amount. Thing it - I can't take any for Satellite production (not 10 at least) until this is running full out. Talking hours of Factorio time here: 90x7 machines = 600 plutonium-239 x 10 used fuel cell x 80% chance x 120 sec (burn time uranium fuel) = A VERY, VERY, VERY LONG TIME! Will never have p-239 for satellite production :(

Might be my bad - but can't see any quicker way to do this with sustainable output of both p-235 and p-239?

ImageFactorio Bob mod - Kovalex and Bobingabout enrichment processes by Morten M, on Flickr

Another issue is that the Centrifuge 3 with "Bobingabout enrichment process" does NOT allow Productivity modules??? Kovarex does! This a bug?

Again - thanks for great mod. Got all Bob's installed (but admit I had to get the Biterbegone mod to clear the field so I could focus on design and building BUS.
Need better armor and alien artifacts so need to turn it off soon and go kill some bugs. Soon I will have my first launch... if only I had a satellite :S

Old dude :geek:

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Mmmmmmorten wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:16 pm
Another issue is that the Centrifuge 3 with "Bobingabout enrichment process" does NOT allow Productivity modules??? Kovarex does! This a bug?
I'll fix that.
I also have a Patreon.

tankistqazwsx
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tankistqazwsx »

Vehicle plasma cannon's description says that it can be installed to tank mk1 but in fact it cannot because it is 4×4 sized and tank mk1 has 10×2 grid.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

tankistqazwsx wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:16 am
Vehicle plasma cannon's description says that it can be installed to tank mk1 but in fact it cannot because it is 4×4 sized and tank mk1 has 10×2 grid.
That would be because the filters allow it. The Filters set to the plasma cannon basically say it can be installed on any vehicle with "Armoured vehicle" set on it, All 3 Tanks and All Armoured train vehicles have this filter.
The filter is also not exclusive to the plasma cannon. But it's basically just a case of the game only looking at the filters, and not if it will physically fit in the slot.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”