[0.17.33] Copy with Insert key

Bugs that are actually features.
nulano
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.33] Copy with Insert key

Post by nulano »

In most applications you can copy text with Ctrl+Insert and paste with Shift+Insert. I usually prefer this over Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V, so I know it works well in both Windows and Linux. When I tried it in Factorio, it didn't work; I assumed it wasn't implemented.

I only found that it can be changed in the settings after searching the forums (to see whether this has been reported before). I suggest adding these two shortcuts to the default keymap, as I'm sure many people don't bother to look in the settings for such a minor issue, and will be left sad. Edit: I thought the "Copy" and "Paste" settings were referring to text boxes - either they don't or they are broken.
Last edited by nulano on Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.33] Copy with Insert key

Post by Twinsen »

Are you referring to text copying in text boxes or blueprint copy pasting? Or Both?

I mentioned these shortcuts but all these youngsters here told me I was crazy :P
Don't forget shift+delete for cut.

nulano
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nulano »

I'm referring to text boxes - I noticed this in the blueprint name box.

I'm not sure what you mean by blueprint copy pasting.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

The shortcuts in the settings refer to the blueprint copy/paste/cut tools that will be unlocked later in the game.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

If we are referring to the cut/copy/paste entity tools (i.e. tools that work in the game world), I don't see much benefit to also binding the CUA commands, but there isn't much cost in doing so either. I'll let the devs decide how they feel on that matter.

If we are referring to the cut/copy/paste operations in text boxes, however, they almost certainly should have the CUA bindings present. I can't think of any good reason not to support them.

EDIT: Hey, this isn't Reddit! Fixed link formatting

nulano
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nulano »

Twinsen wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:03 pm
The shortcuts in the settings refer to the blueprint copy/paste/cut tools that will be unlocked later in the game.
I haven't used these yet, but I will now (once I get robots again). I would suggest clarifying the settings as well as the button tooltips; perhaps "Copy Buildings" would be better.
TruePikachu wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:39 pm
If we are referring to the cut/copy/paste entity tools (i.e. tools that work in the game world), I don't see much benefit to also binding the CUA commands, but there isn't much cost in doing so either. I'll let the devs decide how they feel on that matter.
<snip>
Adding these to the default controls shouldn't be a big deal, right? As I haven't used them yet, I'm not sure how I will activate these (probably with the toolbar button), but I don't see a reason not to add the keyboard shortcuts. But if I'm missing something, I'm fine with changing it myself in the settings. :D

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Just stopping by to say shift+delete to cut is the stupidest shortcut I've ever come across and personally caused me a large amount of pain before I knew it was a thing and disabled it.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:43 pm
Just stopping by to say shift+delete to cut is the stupidest shortcut I've ever come across...
I know lefties whom swear by it. For them, left hand is on mouse and so having a copy/cut/paste on the right side of the keyboard is a must.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Rseding91 wrote:
Just stopping by to say shift+delete to cut is the stupidest shortcut I've ever come across and personally caused me a large amount of pain before I knew it was a thing and disabled it.
+1

LFarquaad
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LFarquaad »

Rseding91 wrote:
Shift+delete is not a shortcut that you would press by mistake, would you?

And the only case I know in which it does worse than a simple “delete” is in file explorers where it permanently deletes instead of moving to the recycle bin – but you get a confirmation dialog first, don't you? In other cases it cuts instead of deleting, so it cannot harm much.

AFAICT, you wouldn't unintentionally press this shortcut, except if you have a keyboard macro that does it.

It happens that I have such a keyboard, and I find it very useful! (mainly because I don't use a QWERTY-based keymap so CTRL+C/V/X are not so convenient)

OP thus gets my +1 for implementing that standard feature for text boxes!

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

Rseding91 wrote:
Clearly, you are not left hand dominant.
With the left hand on the mouse, shift/ctrl + ins/del is so much easier than ctrl + x/c/v.

Keyboard shortcuts are typically made by right handed people for right handed people. This is designed specifically for lefties. That doesn't make it any less important of a shortcut.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

LFarquaad wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:40 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
Shift+delete is not a shortcut that you would press by mistake, would you?

And the only case I know in which it does worse than a simple “delete” is in file explorers where it permanently deletes instead of moving to the recycle bin – but you get a confirmation dialog first, don't you? In other cases it cuts instead of deleting, so it cannot harm much.

AFAICT, you wouldn't unintentionally press this shortcut, except if you have a keyboard macro that does it.

It happens that I have such a keyboard, and I find it very useful! (mainly because I don't use a QWERTY-based keymap so CTRL+C/V/X are not so convenient)

OP thus gets my +1 for implementing that standard feature for text boxes!
I press it all the time when I'm using shift + up/down/left/right to select text and then I want to delete it; but I haven't left off shift before I go to delete. It then erases what ever I had on the clipboard which is incredibly annoying.

So; yes. I press it by mistake all the time. I don't intend to have shift held down still but I don't always release it in time either.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”