Version 0.18.27

Information about releases and roadmap.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Version 0.18.27

Post by FactorioBot »

Graphics
  • New high resolution icons for all items.
  • New sprites for some equipment grid items.
Gui
  • Logistic chests have a different layout.
  • Visual improvements to the equipment grid.
  • Minor visual improvements to most of the game GUIs.
  • Minor layout changes to GUI of Combinators, Programmable speaker, Circuit and logistic connection windows, Rocket silo.
  • Added a close button to most game windows.
Sounds
  • New sounds for GUI interactions.
  • New sounds for game interactions, such as pipette, rotate entity, build ghost, mine ghost, switching gun.
  • Updating working sounds for many entities, such as substation, roboport, combinator.
  • New working sound for rocket silo.
  • New sound for night vision equipment, discharge defense equipment.
  • New tile build sounds for landfill, concrete, stone bricks and refined concrete.
Changes
  • Increased logistic filter count for requester and buffer chests from 12 to 30.
Scripting
  • Changed script.raise_event() to only allow mod-created events and specific game events.
  • Changed script.raise_event() to validate all required fields are provided for the given event being raised.
  • Added event filters for script raised revive, destroy, and created events.
  • Changed event erroring so errors during raise_event are properly blamed on the mod erroring.
  • Changed raise_event ordering to match standard event ordering.
  • All game events that support filters now filter correctly regardless of how they're raised (raise_event or actual game event).
Use the automatic updater if you can (check experimental updates in other settings) or download full installation at http://www.factorio.com/download/experimental.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Version 0.18.27

Post by Optera »

Got my popcorn ready. Time to watch the world burn.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

You should not update if you are dependent on mods, as some will be incompatible with this version until updated.

Kalixt
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kalixt »

Pretty nice improvement.

arrow in my gluteus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by arrow in my gluteus »

Increased logistic filter count for requester and buffer chests from 12 to 30.
You have no idea how helpful this is for me.
Last edited by arrow in my gluteus on Tue May 26, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

arrow in my gluteus wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:46 pm
You have no idea how much helpful this is for me.
It would be even more helpful if '*' was allowed for setting the stack size on filter inserters. ;-)

Windsinger
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Windsinger »

Heya,

When is the Steam update pushed?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Windsinger wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:23 pm
It is live already.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

Windsinger wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:23 pm
Heya,

when i really want to test a new version as soon as possible, i select it manually in the beta versions list (right click on the game in your Steam library, properties, beta). It appears to be selectable manually before automatic update happens. Just remember to reenable automatic updating after testing or you'll be stuck with 0.18.27
Last edited by DanGio on Tue May 26, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

In general, I really like the new icons. I especially like how most of them are clearer and cleaner than the previous icons. Many of them also look better on belts. And I really like the new icons for batteries. I always considered your replacement for the trademarked batteries to be something of a placeholder graphic. I also really like the changes to the arithmetic and decider combinators. I could never tell the difference between them before.

My main concerns are the electric mining drill, the engine, and the flamethrower turrets. The electric mining drill isn't distinguished enough from the burner mining drill, and it's very dissimilar from what an electric mining drill looks like when it's built. The engine icon doesn't really say 'engine' to me, but that might just be my personal opinion. It's never built and in some sense the icon choice is arbitrary. :-/ And the flamethrower turret icon seems kind of muddled and indistinct.

I don't have a strong opinion on the sounds yet, though the 'on' and 'off' sounds for the nightvision goggles are a welcome addition, and I like them.

I still wish the laser sound was different.

Also, I think they've marked it as 'no default upgrade' on Steam. I had to explicitly ask for 0.18.27 to get it. I think that was to allow mod developers time to play with the new version and make changes before everybody gets it. Which I think is a good choice. It will make it really hard to complain "You broke my game!" since you had to explicitly ask for your game to be broken, and you were warned that it would break before you did it.
Last edited by Omnifarious on Tue May 26, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

I pretty much love most of the new things in 0.18.27. Here's the 2 things that struck me when playtesting for 15 minutes :
- it's become more difficult for me to differentiate modules tiers at a glance :
modules 1826.jpg
modules 1826.jpg (79.44 KiB) Viewed 12437 times
modules.jpg
modules.jpg (77.15 KiB) Viewed 12547 times
- has construction sound volume (placing belts etc...) been lowered ? It's so quiet now :? ... especially when you compare it to deconstruction : https://youtu.be/P6DPT04aZfA
Last edited by DanGio on Tue May 26, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kladdey
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kladdey »

Can't wait to see all the new graphics, great work guys :shock:

arrow in my gluteus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by arrow in my gluteus »

Omnifarious wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:10 pm
Tue May 26, 2020 3:46 pm
You have no idea how much helpful this is for me.
It would be even more helpful if '*' was allowed for setting the stack size on filter inserters. ;-)
I'm confused...
isn't that just the same as not limiting?

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

Omnifarious wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:36 pm
Also, I think they've marked it as 'no default upgrade' on Steam. I had to explicitly ask for 0.18.27 to get it. I think that was to allow mod developers time to play with the new version and make changes before everybody gets it. Which I think is a good choice. It will make it really hard to complain "You broke my game!" since you had to explicitly ask for your game to be broken, and you were warned that it would break before you did it.
No, this latency has happen, at least for me, on every version since Factorio is on Steam. The usual time scale :
- Factorio new version post on forums
- like 30 minutes later : Steam allows us to upgrade by selecting manually the new version (but if you do so and then select automatic upgrade, Steam will downgrade to previous version :) )
- like 1 hr later : Steam consider the new version being the last beta and auto updates.

Most of the time I don't even care... But when major versions are going live this is the usual for me.

vdreams
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vdreams »

Very nice update!

But:
  • Stone Bricks and Concrete look too similar.
  • Equipment Grid window has no close button.

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

Tue May 26, 2020 4:53 pm
Omnifarious wrote:
I'm confused...
No. If you select '*' and '+' for an arithmetic combinator, then the '*' on the output means "Apply the operation to each input signal.".

So, if you had the same option for a filter inserter, it would mean "Limit the stack size to the signal value for the item being picked up.". One reason you would want to do that is if you have a 'one of everything' sort of train used for outpost building. It's a huge pain to fill up those kinds of trains. Using slot filters results in halting with stuff in their hand that they can't place on the train. You end up only being able to put in 12 different items per car and each chest they fill from only holds one kind of item. No need to use filter inserters at all there.

If you use a filter inserter, and the hand picks up too many items, it will lock waiting for an open allowed space. So then you have to limit stack size. But you can only limit stack size based on a specific signal. And so unless you know what the inserter is going to pick up next, you can't set the stack size appropriately. So then you have to have complicated logic that goes through the items one at a time until the train is filled with each.

So, having many request slots on a chest is extremely useful for 'some of everything' kinds of trains. But the way filter inserters work again makes it really difficult. If there was a '*' signal for setting the filter inserter filter that worked as I described, it would be much easier to make this all work. The filter inserter would just automatically use the signal for the item it was picking up and so you could set the stack size to just the right value to make sure the train slot would be filled, but not overfilled for every single item on the train.

There is a feature request on this that the devs have never commented on: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49639

mewtwoEX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mewtwoEX »

Omnifarious wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:15 pm
Tue May 26, 2020 4:53 pm
Omnifarious wrote:
I'm confused...
No. If you select '*' and '+' for an arithmetic combinator, then the '*' on the output means "Apply the operation to each input signal."....So, having many request slots on a chest is extremely useful for 'some of everything' kinds of trains. ...The filter inserter would just automatically use the signal for the item it was picking up and so you could set the stack size to just the right value to make sure the train slot would be filled, but not overfilled for every single item on the train.
I do this by "Read train contents" as input to an arithmetic combinator set to each * -1 output each, and connect that output to a constant combinator set to the maximums you want of each item. Feed the same signal to the filter inserter. The only thing to watch out for is ensuring your maximums are <= the inserter's size. To exactly fill, one must make sure the inserter's size is set to 1. This can be solved by having another filter inserter (set to stack size 1) remove extra items through a similar circuit, but it takes some time.
Blueprint Example

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

mewtwoEX wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:33 pm
Omnifarious wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:15 pm
No. If you select '*' and '+' for an arithmetic combinator, then the '*' on the output means "Apply the operation to each input signal."....So, having many request slots on a chest is extremely useful for 'some of everything' kinds of trains. ...The filter inserter would just automatically use the signal for the item it was picking up and so you could set the stack size to just the right value to make sure the train slot would be filled, but not overfilled for every single item on the train.
I do this by "Read train contents" as input to an arithmetic combinator set to each * -1 output each, and connect that output to a constant combinator set to the maximums you want of each item. Feed the same signal to the filter inserter. The only thing to watch out for is ensuring your maximums are <= the inserter's size. To exactly fill, one must make sure the inserter's size is set to 1. This can be solved by having another filter inserter (set to stack size 1) remove extra items through a similar circuit, but it takes some time.
Yes, if you add lots more logic, you can make something that kind of works. Or, you could add the option to set the stack size to a yellow '*' and it would work without it. I'm reminded of the elaborate lengths people went through to get compressed belts before it was made to just work the right way, or the insane setups people made to achieve what a splitter filter now just does.

Anyway, if you want to discuss the merits of this, I don't think here is the place to do it. The feature request page would be better. I just meant it as an off-hand comment related to the increase in request slots for logistics chests

Usul
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Usul »

Love the new icons! Each one a piece of yummy candy.

Except now it is harder to see and distinguish the speed and efficiency module's level 1/2/3, because the contrast of blue-LED-on-blue-module or green-LED-on-green-module is much lower than before. Productivity module is still OK because it's yellow-LED-on-red-module.

Please just make the LEDs of speed and efficiency module in a color contrasting to the module's body.

This would certainly help for color vision impared players too, which I am not btw.

The very old "chip/circuit/card" looking module icon had the best visibility of their level, imho.

Pinga
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pinga »

Perhaps this is a good time to ask: why the stack filter inserter can have only one filter, while the regular filter inserter supports 5?

I once tried to make an unloader that cleaned my building train from wood, coal and stone, but the stack filter inserter seemed needlessly limited.

Return to “Releases”