Cut trees directly in front of locomotive while in it?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Usul
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Cut trees directly in front of locomotive while in it?

Post by Usul »

Hi!

Just wanted to know if it was an intended design to not allow the player to cut down trees directly in front of the locomotive, while driving it to lay rails ("out of reach").
At first I thought this makes sense because you cannot be swinging your chainsaw out the windows of a vehicle. But then I noticed it is possible to cut down trees directly next to the sides of the locomotive, so that logic doesn't hold.

To allow this would make laying of rails much less tedious, as there would be no more need to disembark, cut down an obstructing tree/rock, embark, drive some more, repeat... hundreds of times.

I am talking about vanilla and no bots yet.

8-)

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Cut trees directly in front of locomotive while in it?

Post by DaveMcW »

Your seat is in the middle of the locomotive, you simply can't reach the trees in front.

You can use this cheat to increase your chopping range:

Code: Select all

/c game.player.character_resource_reach_distance_bonus = 4

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

Throw grenades.

Usul
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Usul »

Wont use the cheat, thanks.
The devs should increase the vanilla reach just a tiny bit to include that tree directly in front of loco.

Won't throw nades because I like the trees, they eat my aerosols.

OK, there is actually some logic to my thought: You cannot repair a vehicle while you are inside it... so, you cannot be waving your tools out the window of the vehicle, but you can swing your chainsaw to cut trees directly next to locomotive. Makes sense... not.

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

Usul wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:00 am
Won't throw nades because I like the trees, they eat my aerosols.
If you're talking about some mod recipie, use the long reach mod.

If you're talking about pollution absorption, there is no fundamental difference between a tree that you have cut down and a tree that you have blown up with a grenade.
Usul wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:00 am
OK, there is actually some logic to my thought: You cannot repair a vehicle while you are inside it... so, you cannot be waving your tools out the window of the vehicle, but you can swing your chainsaw to cut trees directly next to locomotive. Makes sense... not.
You're right that it doesn't make any sense that you can cut down trees from inside a vehicle at all, but that's really more of an argument for getting rid of the option altogether than expanding upon it.

Return to “General discussion”